Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

63Ragtop NZ wrote:
paint looks good! some guys get all the luck eh?

X2!!! Cool
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

Quality paint job (though you do need the sunglasses that have the darkest shade glass every time you drive, cause that purple color is soooo cool Cool..... you will get attention be aware !! Or tint out your windows with black window foil...cool as well for that car)
Screams eighties Callooker indeed!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

Show name; Purple Haze.

Cool
brotherbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

63Ragtop NZ wrote:
Show name; Purple Haze.

Cool

We have been calling it the Purple Kooch....heheehehehe.

BB Cool
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

BrotherB! Glad to see someone picked this bug up. I looked at it earlier last year and it was just a little too big of a project for me at the time. Did you finish up welding the heater channels closed? If I remember correctly they had just been tacked up, that was the only thing I remember noting, the rest of the body was in quite good shape. I hated to see the cutouts in the engine bay but must admit it will make for easy carb adjustment with a dual setup. That purple really cleaned up nicely, it is really going to scream in the sun!
brotherbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

Emeraldlion wrote:
BrotherB! Glad to see someone picked this bug up. I looked at it earlier last year and it was just a little too big of a project for me at the time. Did you finish up welding the heater channels closed? If I remember correctly they had just been tacked up, that was the only thing I remember noting, the rest of the body was in quite good shape. I hated to see the cutouts in the engine bay but must admit it will make for easy carb adjustment with a dual setup. That purple really cleaned up nicely, it is really going to scream in the sun!

Boy you did look at this bug! Laughing

Yeah it needed a little welding and a TON of cut and buff work!
Just as an update I do have a engine in it, wiring harness', door rubber, doing the one piece windows now and they are a huge PITA!
This car has seen a bunch of mods over the years but it will see the road in a few months....it had been stored for a really long time right after a paint job.

I'm loving the car and enjoying the build. Seems lots of folks looked at it but didn't buy it? It was just a shell and a bunch of dated parts but the price and build was juts what I was looking for!

BB
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

This color is just screaming for a Deano Dyno-Soars paint scheme and vintage VW gasser look!

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind

Last edited by Keith on Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:15 am; edited 2 times in total
brotherbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
This color is just screaming for a Deano Dynosaurs paint scheme and vintage VW gasser look!

I can smell what your steppin' in buddy and I like it! YES I totally agree, but aint Deano still campaigning a car or someone is? I have high hopes and some friends who pinstripe and do custom paints so yes I will do something of that sort and I've been collecting pics to show them!

I think the Deano paint scheme would work great but I dont want to get a letter from a lawyer either! Laughing I absolutely love that period of VWs and yes it will get a nod that direction for sure!

Thanks for the post and the motivation!
BB
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by brotherbob on Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

brotherbob wrote:
Keith wrote:
This color is just screaming for a Deano Dynosaurs paint scheme and vintage VW gasser look!

I can smell what your steppin' in buddy and I like it! YES I totally agree, but aint Deano still campaigning a car or someone is? I have high hopes and some friends who pinstripe and do custom paints so yes I will do something of that sort and I've been collecting pics to show them!

I think the Deano paint scheme would work great but I dont want to get a letter from a lawyer either! Laughing I absolutely love that period of VWs and yes it will get a nod that direction for sure!

Thanks for the post and the motivation!
BB

As far as I know the Deano as well as the Inch Pincher Too are in Japan. I wasn't necessarily saying to make an exact copy of the Deano but, maybe a "tribute" with a lot of the same feel.

Sort of like what was done with the "Dyno-Pincher" that is a mix of both cars, check that one out!

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
imtb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

Prince's tribute car.

Purple Passion!
brotherbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

Getting closer...
BB Cool [/img]
tmb077
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

Looks great Bob, I've always been a fan of that ultraviolet color. Such a solid platform to start from, I'm envious!
brotherbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

Thought I would update the thread..

Still have a bunch of little stuff to do-like...
Semaphore rehash
Mount front speaker panels
Replace a leaky boot
BB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: