Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How does my engine sound?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: How does my engine sound? Reply with quote

The engine: 1700cc duel webbers (new) electronic points, no vacuum advances that I see. I think it is fairly stock, but it may have been rebuilt before.

So it's been sitting about ten months now. I changed out the gas, gas filter, oil, and oil filter. Please let me know what else you think I should check up/tuneup or if I should just run it. (I have tin and such to get on still)

https://youtu.be/fIJaX5OvlAQ

**edited whoops.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"

Last edited by Spike0180 on Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How does my engine sound? Reply with quote

Pretty damn quiet
DHVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How does my engine sound? Reply with quote

Maybe the question is rhetorical ...
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How does my engine sound? Reply with quote

Quiet as a mouse.
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How does my engine sound? Reply with quote

Or a Volt. Anyone ridden in an electric yet? It's silent at a stop light, and mostly road noise moving.
fastfil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How does my engine sound? Reply with quote

How? Mostly it's the expanding gases pulsing pressure waves out your muffler, hence sound.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: How does my engine sound? Reply with quote

Nice steady idle, but what is the knock that you can hear?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PumaVW79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How does my engine sound? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:

My guess is, since oil was recently drained and changed, the new oil yet didn't reach all places or splashed enough.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How does my engine sound? Reply with quote

PumaVW79 wrote:
vamram wrote:

My guess is, since oil was recently drained and changed, the new oil yet didn't reach all places or splashed enough.

I'll run it longer tomorrow and let you know if it goes away.

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How does my engine sound? Reply with quote

That Knock sound is timed with one valve's movement! Is your engine a Hydraulic Lifter Engine?
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How does my engine sound? Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
That Knock sound is timed with one valve's movement! Is your engine a Hydraulic Lifter Engine?

I should not be hydraulic. What's your thoughts on it being with one valves movement? Needs a valve adjustment? And timing set? I haven't been running it much since I got it back. Just a minute or two Here and there to move the oil around, so it shouldn't be detrimental. (I don't remember that noise when I got it for restoration ten Months ago.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How does my engine sound? Reply with quote

Sounds good IMO
i assume it has solid lifters
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How does my engine sound? Reply with quote

Those 1700's were pretty solid holding valve adjustment well, it should clear up with the valve adjustment you may have to adjust them at different valve timing than Just TDC & BDC positions to clear the knock up. Figure out which one it is.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How does my engine sound? Reply with quote

Hey guys, just wanted to post a quick update on this, for the edumafication of us all…… Laughing

This car was subject to substantial bodywork with no crankcase breather hose hooked up. When we pulled the left side valve cover for a routine check, we found NO oil residue. None. Zip. Zilch. Nada. The rocker box was as dry as a bone, and the gold indication of past burnt oil was smooth and dry. We removed the rocker arms, and blew through the pushrods with carb cleaner, and found brown-ish and grey-ish residue coming out several pushrods in droves. Upon starting the engine again, we were rewarded with oil coming out the pushrods and rocker arms as designed.

I can not understate, enough, the importance of crankcase hygiene, even with an oil filter! Too many people haphazardly adjust valves on a dirty slab with both valve covers off on a windy day, or then ignore the fact that their crankcase breather must connect to filtered air, not JUST for emissions, but for sitting when the crankcase cools and sucks in air too!! (Hot air is larger in volume, so when an engine cools, air is sucked into the crankcase through the breather system. Volkswagen filtered this air. Do you?)

A routine valve adjustment saved this engine. I hope we can all pay better attentional as a collective.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How does my engine sound? Reply with quote

**Engine is of unknown origin.**

Alright. Well... she sounds hideous... My best guess is that due to poor control of the crankcase cleanliness I got a bunch of bando dust and other crap into my engine while doing my body work, and that is clogging up my smaller oil passages.

I'm looking for input on what I should be looking for when doing my tear down. If you hear that tick... Idea's? I get backfiring through the carbs on cold starts. And the starts have becoming more and more difficult. Though there was a point where it became significantly more difficult, suddenly. Not sure what is going on. Questions?

I'm hoping to do a super cheap rebuild if needed. I'm currently planning on removing the engine this winter for a top end cleaning/deconstruction.

Current Game Plan: (1)Change oil to something cheap to rinse it out before removing the engine. (2) Remove Engine. (3) Take off engine tin/alternator /accessories. (4) Break into heads, inspect valves. (5) Inspect Bottom end for excess thrust play. (disassemble to replace bearings only if required. I will avoid breaking into bottom end if at all possible) (6) re-assemble. Replace throw-out bearing and re-install.

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: