Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spark plug wires Type 4?
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bustedtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Spark plug wires Type 4? Reply with quote

Just got a 73 high top bus. Type 4 eng. The wires are bad. Why can't I find any on line? Or at the local VW parts store. Mine are cracked and broken at the plug.

Need help!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug wires Type 4. ???? Help Reply with quote

I found some in the blink of an eye at rockauto. The standard motor products wires....get copper core ones....are very good. So are the Beck arnley tinned copper core wires. Also NGK solid core wire sets when you can find them are excellent.

They (NGK) list a part # of RC-VWC020 and a stock #57403. Lots of wires out there. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug wires Type 4? Reply with quote

Autozone, duralast gold. These are the only type 4 plugs that I have found which still come with the good sealed plug ends. Bosch cheaped out a few years ago and quit selling them with the seals. The autozone duralast gold plugs have Beru plug ends. Beru was an original equipment supplier for VW. German, high quality. Not the biggest fan of the cooling tin air seals because they are stiffer than some others, but they do work. $40. Can't go wrong. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug wires Type 4? Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Autozone, duralast gold. These are the only type 4 plugs that I have found which still come with the good sealed plug ends. Bosch cheaped out a few years ago and quit selling them with the seals. The autozone duralast gold plugs have Beru plug ends. Beru was an original equipment supplier for VW. German, high quality. Not the biggest fan of the cooling tin air seals because they are stiffer than some others, but they do work. $40. Can't go wrong. Wink

Wow!...Those look nice! Thank you for the heads up! Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug wires Type 4? Reply with quote

Auto parts stores don't like me because I buy a dozen products or more, then return all but one after checking them out...like the time I bought 30+ wheel cylinders for bugs and returned all but the Italian CiFam cylinders from Napa after checking out quality control, etc. Haha. I did the same with plug wires. Got Some Bosch, autozone and Napa house brands, etc. probably 7 or 8 sets in all. Checked them out for general quality feel and measured them to check resistances. Dispite the stiffer cooling air seals, the autozone duralast gold were definetly the better plug wire sets in my opinion. Long plugs about 1.4kohms, short ones about 1kohms. It comes with two primary wire lengths, both resistive. Short one about 3.2kohms, long one about 5.5kohms. Also in the box was a section of plastic wire loom that can be cut to lengths where needed to protect wires that may run against and wear on anything. Also a handy pack of dielectric grease. If you have a set of soft tuber cooling air seals, you could remove the stiffer ones and replace them. Then you would have a fantastic wire set. But like I said, the stiffer ones that come with them do work.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug wires Type 4? Reply with quote

Some close up shots of the lot that comes in the box. You can see the resistances of all six wires and their construction. Plug leads have German Beru ends and solid wire cores. Primary leads have a poly/carbon resistive core.

Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug wires Type 4? Reply with quote

Just a side note here: Beru is also OEM for BMW ignition parts.

Usually expensive but good. (Like $50 for a distributor cap for my BMW.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug wires Type 4? Reply with quote

I feel obligated to post this here based on a recent encounter with a fellow who was fighting a misfire.

Guys, you need to remove the spark plug stud nuts if the plugs came equipped with them!

The plug ends have a spring steel wire that compresses against the threaded stud. This makes a solid positive connection from the wire to the spark plug. The plug ends will not fit spark plugs with the nut over the stud. It is too large for the plug ends. Instead of the spring steel wire snapping around the threaded stud, the end of the plug end kinda butts up against the spark plug but. Sure it will work when the rubber plug end holds it in place so they butt together, but when it starts working its way off eventually the gap will be so great that the spark won't be able to jump from the plug end to the spark plug nut... In this case, it caused his misfire.

If your spark plugs have the nut over the stud, removing it is easy. Grip the nut in a pliers, vice grips, vice, etc...

And then simply unthread the spark plug from the nut. It shouldn't take much force. You can throw away the nut. It isn't used on these plug wires.

kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug wires Type 4? Reply with quote

I've gotten mine at bughaus.com

Although they are currently "not available" there, so I checked Amazon and they ARE!
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug wires Type 4? Reply with quote

kirk knighton wrote:
I've gotten mine at bughaus.com

Although they are currently "not available" there, so I checked Amazon and they ARE!

What make? Did they come with the rubber spark plug seals, or have they gone the way of Bosch and stopped using them? If they came with the rubber spark plug seals, I would be interested in checking them out. It would be cool to do a head to head with the Duralast wire set I got that have the Beru plug ends.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: