Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Inlet Manifold with Unusual Port Connectors for Dual Webers - 34ICT
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Middleton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Inlet Manifold with Unusual Port Connectors for Dual Webers - 34ICT Reply with quote

Hello, everyone. I have just bought a 1972 Type 2 Westfalia. I was just wondering if anyone has any idea why my inlet manifolds have the plugs/connectors that they do.

I have a 1700cc engine that has been bored out to 1800cc with twin 34 ICT Weber carburettors and a CB Performance linkage/manifold kit that I believe was also used with the previously installed Dellortos.

I believe that this is the kit that is installed:
http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=6429

The installation instructions describe the rear port on each inlet manifold as having a 1/8" barbed connector and the front port as having a 1/8" pipe plug. The balance tube is supposed to be joined to the barbed connector on each inlet manifold.

My balance tube was disconnected. When I tried to reconnect it, I found that my set up appears to have a barbed connector on the left rear port and a pipe plug on the right rear port. This stopped me from connecting the tube to the right rear port. The front ports have two other types of connectors that were both capped off. Here are some photographs:

LEFT INLET MANIFOLD WITH BALANCE TUBE CONNECTED TO BARBED CONNECTOR & CAPPED OFF FRONT PORT

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RIGHT INLET MANIFOLD WITH PIPE PLUG & CAPPED OFF FRONT PORT

RIGHT INLET MANIFOLD WITH FRONT PORT UNCAPPED

Does anybody have any idea why the inlet manifolds would be set up in this way? In particular, what would the connectors in the front ports be used for?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold with Unusual Port Connectors for Dual Webers - 34ICT Reply with quote

so you can run the balance tube where you want to. IOW, it's a good design feature.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold with Unusual Port Connectors for Dual Webers - 34ICT Reply with quote

One for nitrous

One for water injection

One for vacuum retard

One should be blocked off.

You don't need no balance tube Laughing

I personally prefer parts like this, it's easier to put fittings where you need them. Not all engines are the same so it is nice that they are versatile.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ben Middleton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold with Unusual Port Connectors for Dual Webers - 34ICT Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
One for nitrous

One for water injection

One for vacuum retard

One should be blocked off.

You don't need no balance tube Laughing

I personally prefer parts like this, it's easier to put fittings where you need them. Not all engines are the same so it is nice that they are versatile.

Lol well I won't be using nitrous or water injection anytime soon! I also have electronic ignition.

I think I do need the balance tube, if only for my brake servo as it tees off the balance tube between the carbs:

I suppose my question really is, why would someone install that fitting at the front of the inlet manifold? Does it serve the same purpose as a barbed fitting?
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold with Unusual Port Connectors for Dual Webers - 34ICT Reply with quote

That fitting in the right manifold looks like a quick-connect for an air hose! Confused

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Ben Middleton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold with Unusual Port Connectors for Dual Webers - 34ICT Reply with quote

That's an interesting idea about the air hose connector. Why would they install an air hose connector on the inlet manifold?

I was mistaken before when I stated that the left rear inlet manifold had a barbed connector. I don't know why I thought that. I have taken a photograph today showing that both connectors on the left manifold are these weird shapes as well. This means that the person who did this changed all of the connectors from barbed unions to these weird shapes. Does anybody have any idea why they would do this?!

You can see on the original kit, that it should come with barbed connectors:

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold with Unusual Port Connectors for Dual Webers - 34ICT Reply with quote

the same reason they have that high tech vacuum tee on the engine case.

Because they had them lying around!

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold with Unusual Port Connectors for Dual Webers - 34ICT Reply with quote

Yeah those are quick connects normally seen on air lines (for air tools and such). As John said the person prob just had them laying around...
GDOG57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold with Unusual Port Connectors for Dual Webers - 34ICT Reply with quote

I believe those were for the A.I.R lines for the smog pump on California models.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold with Unusual Port Connectors for Dual Webers - 34ICT Reply with quote

GDOG57 wrote:
I believe those were for the A.I.R lines for the smog pump on California models.

I'm 100% sure they're quick connect fittings... Google it Wink
Ben Middleton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold with Unusual Port Connectors for Dual Webers - 34ICT Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'm going to just use them anyway and I'll change them to barbed fittings one of the days. Do you think that they will seal OK if I just attach the balance tube to those weird connectors with jubilee clips?
GDOG57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold with Unusual Port Connectors for Dual Webers - 34ICT Reply with quote

ekacpuc wrote:
GDOG57 wrote:

I'm 100% sure they're quick connect fittings... Google it Wink

I know that. I meant the manifolds with the place for fittings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: