Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Questions after 1st Drive on a Fresh 2276 just Installed
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions after 1st Drive on a Fresh 2276 just Installed Reply with quote

JL,
What cam blank was the Web cam? If it was an ep12 or sc1? Before u pull your motor, drain oil and drop the sump. You can see a couple lifters at an angle.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions after 1st Drive on a Fresh 2276 just Installed Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
JL,
What cam blank was the Web cam? If it was an ep12 or sc1? Before u pull your motor, drain oil and drop the sump. You can see a couple lifters at an angle.

I saw no marking on the 86b cam as it came clearenced.

I will try that next time when I drain the oil.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions after 1st Drive on a Fresh 2276 just Installed Reply with quote

I bought an 86B about 4 months ago from WebCam. It was the clearanced one. I told the woman there, I think Dawn I needed the EP-12 blank and she told me the clearanced ones were. I didn't really trust her but that's what she said. I'd tear it apart again and find out where those pieces came from. What did Udo say the coated ones looked like, coated with what?

Are the pieces flat or rounded? I was thinking that might be cylinder wall. My brothers cylinder did that. A sheet came off.
jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions after 1st Drive on a Fresh 2276 just Installed Reply with quote

jason wrote:
I bought an 86B about 4 months ago from WebCam. It was the clearanced one. I told the woman there, I think Dawn I needed the EP-12 blank and she told me the clearanced ones were. I didn't really trust her but that's what she said. I'd tear it apart again and find out where those pieces came from. What did Udo say the coated ones looked like, coated with what?

Are the pieces flat or rounded? I was thinking that might be cylinder wall. My brothers cylinder did that. A sheet came off.

The coated ones look darker in color whereas the uncoated ones are more silvery in appearance.

The pieces are flat.

When I re-used the Nickies when I rebuilt this engine, I realized that one of the plated lining of the cylinder had chipped (in the size of a rice) off at the base of the cylinder (below the skirt of the piston). I thought at the time as the cylinder was never riden on, I did not send it back to LN Engineering for a recoat.
jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Questions after 1st Drive on a Fresh 2276 just Installed Reply with quote

I looked at some of the old pictures I took and found this to show:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looking closely, it is evident that at one spot near the bottom, a piece of cylinder lining has fallen off. It is of the size of a rice.

Now I tend to think the 2 pieces found could be cylinder wall lining flakes as:

1. I did not find metal powder in the drained oil, like those I found with my last engine.

2. On the 25km drive I had yesterday, I did not feel any apparent loss of power.

Also, I think the small muddy soft particles found on the sump plate could be the excessive Permatex Ultra Grey I used for the cylinder base seal at the time of engine assembly.

What do you think?
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Questions after 1st Drive on a Fresh 2276 just Installed Reply with quote

I'd take it apart and be sure. If it starts coming off it wont stop. Do it before you need new bearings.

Did it get wet? My brother likes to wash his car. I think it leaked residual water down his carb. I told him to drive it after he washes it to boil off the water and etc. Hard to see but has same delamanation, pit like yours. Ran the same too, removed the head for other reason and found that. Didnt see in oil, probably going out the exhaust. Yours is below the rings, into the engine.

You know what I did find a piece like yours in the lifter though. Totally forgot about the cylinder. You need to take it apart, at least remove the top end and give it a peek.

jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions after 1st Drive on a Fresh 2276 just Installed Reply with quote

jason wrote:
I'd take it apart and be sure. If it starts coming off it wont stop. Do it before you need new bearings.

Did it get wet? My brother likes to wash his car. I think it leaked residual water down his carb. I told him to drive it after he washes it to boil off the water and etc. Hard to see but has same delamanation, pit like yours. Ran the same too, removed the head for other reason and found that. Didnt see in oil, probably going out the exhaust. Yours is below the rings, into the engine.

You know what I did find a piece like yours in the lifter though. Totally forgot about the cylinder. You need to take it apart, at least remove the top end and give it a peek.

Assuming that these are cylinder inner wall lining flakes, how big the risk is that these would spun a bearing, as compared to cam/lifter grinding metal powder, like the situation I had with my last engine?
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions after 1st Drive on a Fresh 2276 just Installed Reply with quote

It's just a bigger grit abrasive. Like I said I found a big piece in the lifter. I don't know how it got in there. Way too big to be in the oil. I also noticed the lifter bores looked a bit too shiny for a new case and had a few scratches. Big enough for me to hit it with some sand paper. You can run it till it dies but wouldn't you want to spend the $10 in sealant and seals now and be sure or a few thousand later.

It may also be nothing. How well did you clean the case? Could be from your old lifters.
jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions after 1st Drive on a Fresh 2276 just Installed Reply with quote

jason wrote:
It's just a bigger grit abrasive. Like I said I found a big piece in the lifter. I don't know how it got in there. Way too big to be in the oil. I also noticed the lifter bores looked a bit too shiny for a new case and had a few scratches. Big enough for me to hit it with some sand paper. You can run it till it dies but wouldn't you want to spend the $10 in sealant and seals now and be sure or a few thousand later.

It may also be nothing. How well did you clean the case? Could be from your old lifters.

That is a brand new OEM case, machined, galleries drilled & tapped, and lifter bores sleeved by Brothers. When I received it, I sent the case to be professional cleaned, with supersonic equipments.

With my old case, I am still preparing that for another engine build project.
jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions after 1st Drive on a Fresh 2276 just Installed Reply with quote

I have also just sent LN Engineering an email enquiring if it is possible these could be their Nicosia inner cylinder wall lining flakes that had separated from the Nickies cylinders. Let's see what their opinions are on this.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Questions after 1st Drive on a Fresh 2276 just Installed Reply with quote

I went back and noticed your new case. Did you trust them or did you also do a clean yourself? Only way youll know is to pop it open. Would be cool if they had windows.
jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions after 1st Drive on a Fresh 2276 just Installed Reply with quote

The case was sent off for ultrasonic professional cleaning to clean, including all oil galleries,3 before engine assembly.

I looked at these pieces again and again. These look like de-laminations from either the lifter tops or the cylinder inner lining.

There were no metal powder found in the drained oil. Excessive Torco Assembly lube was put on the cam/lifter surfaces before the engine was zipped up. The line marks on the fallen pieces remind me of, although not as specific, cross hatch marks though.

All these point to a higher possibility that these are cylinder inner lining. Would anyone think otherwise?
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions after 1st Drive on a Fresh 2276 just Installed Reply with quote

Ultrasonic will loosen it up but it isnt gonna remove it. Just keep driving it and monitor it. Nothing else to do if you don't want to open it. If you find more pieces next oil change, you know what you must do.
jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions after 1st Drive on a Fresh 2276 just Installed Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Ultrasonic will loosen it up but it isnt gonna remove it. Just keep driving it and monitor it. Nothing else to do if you don't want to open it. If you find more pieces next oil change, you know what you must do.

I am very tempted to drain the oil I changed last week to see.....
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions after 1st Drive on a Fresh 2276 just Installed Reply with quote

Buy a filter cutter and cut open that filter. Stretch out the pleats.....that always tells the tale.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions after 1st Drive on a Fresh 2276 just Installed Reply with quote

I use the Canton Mecca filter that I only need to replace the filter cartridges. When I took out the last one, I did not see any metal pieces nor powder embedded.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Jump to:
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: