Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need heads, what to get?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Need heads, what to get? Reply with quote

So, while double checking my work, i found the combustion chamber on my freshly rebuild heads are a whopping, massive, bathtub like 37cc's. cool... I screwed up my measuring work before, so these are useless. over 11:1 aint going to work.

So, What heads should I be looking at? looking at around 800 bucks, give or take.

78.4 4340 forged crank
90.5 hypereutectics
eagle 2242 cam
cb ultralight lifters
.030 manton chromo pushrods
scat 4340 rods with 3/8 arp2000 bolts 5.396 length
009 dist
dual 44 hpmx.
1.25:1 rockers w/rhino feet
12 1/2 pound flywheel
AH mag case full flowed

Its a sandrail motor, lots of lake beds and street driving. some sand, little mountain riding. running a type 1 trans with a 4.12 R&P and sitting on 30" tires.

i may be swapping to 40 idf's if these carbs are toast, but the price was right. :Wink:
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Need heads, what to get? Reply with quote

My 042's would be perfect. 40 x 35.5 with proper sized ports cast into the head, no need for extra porting(although you can get more flow with some port work) Standard size chamber is 55 and we can machine to your exact spec.

http://www.mofoco.com/item/MOFOCO_042_BIG_VALVE_CYLINDER_HEAD/235/c52

With boring and custom CCing, the price will be right at $800.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Need heads, what to get? Reply with quote

I Ride Sand wrote:
So, while double checking my work, i found the combustion chamber on my freshly rebuild heads are a whopping, massive, bathtub like 37cc's. cool... I screwed up my measuring work before, so these are useless. over 11:1 aint going to work.

So, What heads should I be looking at? looking at around 800 bucks, give or take.

78.4 4340 forged crank
90.5 hypereutectics
eagle 2242 cam
cb ultralight lifters
.030 manton chromo pushrods
scat 4340 rods with 3/8 arp2000 bolts 5.396 length
009 dist
dual 44 hpmx.
1.25:1 rockers w/rhino feet
12 1/2 pound flywheel
AH mag case full flowed

Its a sandrail motor, lots of lake beds and street driving. some sand, little mountain riding. running a type 1 trans with a 4.12 R&P and sitting on 30" tires.

i may be swapping to 40 idf's if these carbs are toast, but the price was right. :Wink:

They are not useless , i run 12 to 1 on E 85 so im sure someone can use them ..
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Need heads, what to get? Reply with quote

Tims stage 1
The AA500 are actually not that bad either

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Need heads, what to get? Reply with quote

raul arrese wrote:

They are not useless , i run 12 to 1 on E 85 so im sure someone can use them ..

They would be perfect for that, but there are no E85 pumps anywhere near me, so it killed that idea..... but they are 40x35.5, ported, and cut for 90.5/92's. freshly rebuilt and ready to go. going to be letting them go cheap though... i have no use for them.

if only there was an E85 pump in town!
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Need heads, what to get? Reply with quote

Pics of chambers? Those are small. I'd also tighten your deck then cc to desired compression. .040-.070 is area you want, not .080's
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Need heads, what to get? Reply with quote

Tims Stage 1's would also be perfect. Fully ported, and cheap for the power they make.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1069091

Also make sure your manifolds are ported all the way up.

Get your deck height to .045", and have them flycut the heads so you can run 9:1.

It will rock, and have a bunch of low end torque.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Need heads, what to get? Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Pics of chambers? Those are small. I'd also tighten your deck then cc to desired compression. .040-.070 is area you want, not .080's

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Need heads, what to get? Reply with quote

Lap your cylinders to the heads and use the marks to unshroud the shit out of those valvers. Or run it on methanol.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Need heads, what to get? Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
Lap your cylinders to the heads and use the marks to unshroud the shit out of those valvers.

i need 19cc's to get where i need to be, these are just plain and simple cut too deep.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Need heads, what to get? Reply with quote

yep......19 is a lot.........I had a source for barrels of methanol due to oil field activity. It will take about all the compression you can throw at it. I love the way it runs. In cold weather it will ice the manifolds. Runs cool. You have to drain your tank, lines and carbs afterwards. Kind of a hassle.

ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Need heads, what to get? Reply with quote

Tims x 3. Best bang for the buck hands down. They will open and flycut/cc for free. Remember to get your manifolds matched.
Pics :

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Need heads, what to get? Reply with quote

Like what Colonel Sanders said about those heads and Dolly Pardon....."Whew! Those are a couple a big'uns!"

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Need heads, what to get? Reply with quote

i think i will go with the Tims stage 1 heads. the biggest reason is i like the chamber design better than the others i'm seeing. i want to keep the mixture as close to the plug as possible, and keep a large quench area
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Need heads, what to get? Reply with quote

Get a set of Tims heads, then copy the chamber on your other ones for spares..........Donald Trump has Tims heads and the chambers are HUUUUUUGE. (60cc)

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Need heads, what to get? Reply with quote

I Ride Sand wrote:
jason wrote:

The porrts in these heads are not overly large. They could easily be used on say a 1914. Also, as menthioned, the chambers can be enlarged both to increase volume and to increase efficiency. Along with a 5 cc dish in the pistons that would be about 10-1 CR. Could be built into a nippy little engine.
I see Tims have changed their port layout a little since I had a set in my hands. That could be due to a different casting though.

T
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Need heads, what to get? Reply with quote

Not trying to hijack the thread. I ask because I want to learn. Why couldn't OP either reshape the chambers for more CC's, or add a largeer cylinder shim. Wouldn't going with a smaller rod size move the piston down in the cylinder and give more CC's?
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Need heads, what to get? Reply with quote

It seems the general consensus is it is more desirable to have the deck height of the piston as near .040-.050 inch as possible in order to have that distance be all there is to the flat part of the combustion chamber. I don't know how many people actually dyno engines to be able to tell what the effects of less deck height might be. Or if it is just a seat of the pants deal.

His original heads have been cut so much the chambers are but 37cc or so. I think someone could do the unshrouding the valve bit, but it would be a lot of material to remove. In visual terms, it might be about three sugar cubes worth. On the other hand, look at how much material can be taken out above the spark plug hole..... If you look at the Tims heads, the combustion chamber has a resemblance to a LS1 chevy head. A sort of valentine heart meets kidney bean shape. And you know Chevy spent a butt ton of money developing those.

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Need heads, what to get? Reply with quote

Bob Brugge wrote:
Not trying to hijack the thread. I ask because I want to learn. Why couldn't OP either reshape the chambers for more CC's, or add a largeer cylinder shim. Wouldn't going with a smaller rod size move the piston down in the cylinder and give more CC's?

Shorter rod, or more shims will decrease the compression, but it will also add to the deck height. Supposed ideal deck height is no more then .060". If he wanted to drop the compression to 9.5 with these heads, he would need a deck height of .137". Thats huge.

Large deck heights reduce the efficiency of the chamber, lead to detonation, and make the heads run hotter since the burn is happening out on the flats, instead of being "squished" into the chamber like would happen with a tight .045" deck height.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Need heads, what to get? Reply with quote

another key reason is the time it takes to fully burn the fuel/air in the combustion chamber. the quench area is meant to push the mixture closer to the plug while also creating turbulence in the chamber. having better "swirl" in the chamber leads to a much faster, more thorough burn. being as the heat is being generated much more quickly, there is more time for the hot gasses to push on the piston, and more of the heat is turned into horsepower rather than being wasted.

if you have a large amount of mixture far away from the spark plug, then it will take a long time for the flame front in the cylinder to propagate to the edges of it. so, more ignition timing is required. more timing means longer high temps in the chamber, and longer time the pressure is trying to push the piston down before the crank rotates past top dead center.

so, yeah, i could cut the chamber to drop the compression, but i need a whopping 19cc's removed. thats huge. i *might* be able to carve out that much material, but then i am left with a semi hemi head, and they will need an abundant amount of timing advance, and will run hotter than a smaller chamber.

TL;DR because the chamber i would end up with would run hotter and make less power. it will be less responsive, and will be less efficient.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: