Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Deck Lid
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghia1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Deck Lid Reply with quote

My rear deck spring retaining bracket (the one that is welded to the center of the deck lid) is long gone, broke off somewhere in its long life. Is there a way to keep the lid open when at car shows without using an stick, bungee or some other conspicuous device to keep it open?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck Lid Reply with quote

Rubber-handle screwdriver?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck Lid Reply with quote

ghia1969 wrote:
My rear deck spring retaining bracket (the one that is welded to the center of the deck lid) is long gone, broke off somewhere in its long life. Is there a way to keep the lid open when at car shows without using an stick, bungee or some other conspicuous device to keep it open?

Sure, make a PROPER hood stay.
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck Lid Reply with quote

Weld in a new one?

Replace decklid?

If in the right climate and culture?

Remove decklid.

Options, you've got them. Good luck!
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck Lid Reply with quote

itskyle wrote:
Weld in a new one?

Replace decklid?

If in the right climate and culture?

Remove decklid.

Options, you've got them. Good luck!

If you have a good paint job and the thing brakes you can't just weld it back without damaging the paint. Wait for the next time you paint then weld it back. In the mean time make a hood stay.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck Lid Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Great idea! The trick I used was putting a 20oz soda bottle in the gap between the deck lid and the piece below the rear window. It'll keep the hood from closing as well.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck Lid Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Cusser wrote:

Great idea! The trick I used was putting a 20oz soda bottle in the gap between the deck lid and the piece below the rear window. It'll keep the hood from closing as well.

And I actually store that screwdriver by inserting it between the positioner thing and the firewall side, see about 8 inches left of the coil in the photo.

You can also see my spare throttle return spring for my Weber 40DCNF hanging from the left hinge.

Yes, next time that engine comes out the tin gets cleaned up and painted black !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck Lid Reply with quote

I advise removing of the masking tape wire lables. sometimes the tape comes loose and it can easily be sucked into the fan and end up clogging the cooling fins. I have pulled lots of tape bits, rages, paper towel, leafs and even bits of wire and old torn rubber hose out of the cooling fins of the heads/cylinders when I have removed the tin.
lots of vw have broken deck lid springs, join the club of broken springs.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: