Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 Flywheel bolt Pattern?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnx51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Type 4 Flywheel bolt Pattern? Reply with quote

Hey
I have been searching all weekend for the measurements on the type 4 flywheel.
Heres the thing I think I need the type 4 200mm flywheel but I'm not mounting it to a type 4 but a 3 cylinder Kubota Diesel Very Happy .
The crank on it has 5 bolts and they look to be the same as the type 4 but I want the measurements first before I order the flywheel. If they don't line up I will just machine one of my 12v flywheels.
johnx51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Flywheel bolt Pattern? Reply with quote

Nobody has a type 4 flywheel laying around that they could measure the crank bolt pattern?
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Flywheel bolt Pattern? Reply with quote

I am about to separate mine tomorrow. What feature are you looking for? The diameter of the bolt circle?
johnx51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Flywheel bolt Pattern? Reply with quote

Yes I need the circumference of the bolthole pattern in the circumference of the crankshaft and the depth of the pocket.

It's really close to the size I believe. I have laid out a 12v flywheel and I can probably machine the difference into it. But I really believe that the crank in the same 5 patten that's on the type 4.

Thanks by the way
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Flywheel bolt Pattern? Reply with quote

Sorry buddy, I can only derive two numbers for you at this time: the depth of the pocket is 8mm; the circumference of the pocket is 183.85mm; obviously, the crank flange is just an RCH smaller.

I was going to use the diameter of the bolt holes, the distance to the wall of the pocket, and calculate the bolt circle (what you refer to as the pattern)...but the holes in this FW are different distances to the wall, meaning they're either slightly different diameters, or the circle isn't concentric with the pocket bore. Either way, I just don't have the time to delve that deeply into it at this time.

FWIW, the five bolt holes are ~13mm.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Flywheel bolt Pattern? Reply with quote

The type-4 bolt pattern is WAY smaller.

The kuboda has a big flange on the back of the crank, never seen one that isn't, but maybe I haven't seen them all.
Don't give ME a hard time about measurements, YOU can measure first, and I'll see if it matches.
I'm not gonna map out the whole thing and then find out you are eyeballing it with a plastic ruler.
johnx51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Flywheel bolt Pattern? Reply with quote

Thanks Bosstom. The crank coming out of the Kubota is 197.95502mm just a BCH bigger I can machine that no problem. I'll take about 1.5mm off a type 4 flywheel and take my chances with the bolt pattern And modok no ones giving anybody a hard time.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Flywheel bolt Pattern? Reply with quote

Ok cool, now get your calipers and measure it already
johnx51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Flywheel bolt Pattern? Reply with quote

What are you talking about? I don't have a type 4 flywheel to measure. That's why I was asking on here. I've never messed with a type 4. I have a 66 split and a 71 1302. I just wanted to make sure there is enough machinable surface to work with. Before I ordered type 4 200mm flywheel, and trust me I have more than just calipers to make measurements.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Flywheel bolt Pattern? Reply with quote

oh, sorry
I thought you were asking about the bolt pattern, as that was the title of the topic.
If you have it figured out good!
I might add the pattern later if I find it, so suckers using the search function don't read all this for nothin. Confused
johnx51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Flywheel bolt Pattern? Reply with quote

I still need the pattern myself to double check to see if the Kubota's pattern fits.bolt pattern circumference to bolt pattern circumference. If it does it will save a load of money and I might do a write up about the conversion if it turns out good. Thanks for the help guys.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Flywheel bolt Pattern? Reply with quote

Am I crazy? I'm not sure why you're referring to it as a bolt pattern circumference. Based on everything you have been saying, you really need only one thing: the bolt circle diameter. Period. The "circumferences" you're referring to are completely, totally irrelevant. It makes zero sense to calculate any circular bolt pattern based on circumference, because circumference is dependent on and directly affected by hole size, and therefore useless. What IS relevant is the hole centers, because THAT is what the bolt pattern is based on, because the screws all have to line up...and that bolt pattern is based on a bolt circle diameter, not a circumference.

So the "bolt pattern" question is answered, it's 5 equal spaces about a circle, a circle that should be datumed at true center position to the rotational axis of the object (the crankshaft, in this case). So now you can change the diameters of the fastening screws, within reason, about that same circle, because bolt circles are based on diameters - and therefore screw centers - not circumferences. Make sense?

So all you need now is the BC diameter, cuz you're a machinist, you can modify all the other features to make it work. Wink
johnx51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Flywheel bolt Pattern? Reply with quote

By bolt pattern circumference I mean the imaginary circle created by the center of the bolt holes. There for you can still have a 5 bolt pattern but the spacing is different. Example 5 Bolt pattern at a 138mm circumference is bigger than one at 118mm circumference. To measure this you would mark the center of the bolt holes and the trace a circle then find the diameter.

so yes all I need is the BC diameter and I can map out the rest.

I wouldn't call me a machinist just happen to be a 22yr old that happens to have a few lathe's and milling machines in my shop.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Flywheel bolt Pattern? Reply with quote

PM me your address and I will send you one of these....

http://www.busdepot.com/021105275
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Flywheel bolt Pattern? Reply with quote

johnx51 wrote:
By bolt pattern circumference I mean the imaginary circle created by the center of the bolt holes. There for you can still have a 5 bolt pattern but the spacing is different. Example 5 Bolt pattern at a 138mm circumference is bigger than one at 118mm circumference. To measure this you would mark the center of the bolt holes and the trace a circle then find the diameter.

so yes all I need is the BC diameter and I can map out the rest.

I wouldn't call me a machinist just happen to be a 22yr old that happens to have a few lathe's and milling machines in my shop.

Cool, I get it...but again, your terminology is incorrect, that's what I'm trying to help you with. BC diameter and circumference are two completely different things, and to say or use "circumference" in this context is useless. Nobody uses that word to describe the geometric feauture you're referring to. After all, you have to find a diameter or a radius to calculate your circumference anyway, so you're only doing extra, unnecessary work to find a value that nobody uses for bolt circles. It's just another tip for you to put in your toolbox as you move forward...wish I had some lathes and mills! Wink

I can take more measurements tonight and compute the actual BC diameter for you, it would be interesting to know anyway. Cheers!
johnx51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Flywheel bolt Pattern? Reply with quote

I us asking for circumference because it's a five pattern and I figured it would be easier for someone to find and I could get BC diameter. Also it's a blessing to have a good shop. I own a industrial maintenance business and thank you I sent you a pm .
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Flywheel bolt Pattern? Reply with quote

Hey buddy, I got shiitty news from the doctor today, so I won't be tinkering in the garage for a while. By the way, I didn't see a PM.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Flywheel bolt Pattern? Reply with quote

five 12mm bolts centered on a 41.5mm diameter circle

I'm not sure if it is exactly 41.5. Measuring the flywheel and crank different ways my results varied from 41.0 to 41.7, probably because the flywheel is not very precise.
johnx51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Flywheel bolt Pattern? Reply with quote

Thank you guys.

With the measurement you gave me Modox it is within a couple µm.
I have already took the gamble and ordered the type 4 200mm flywheel and it will be here tomorrow so its going to be the moment of truth.

I will draw everything out on CAD and make a PDF for future reference.

Busstom sorry to here hope you get well.

Thanks Again

also I would like to start a tread for this build where would be the best place?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: