Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 "Proud" new owner of a rust bucket
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That interior will look great . Smile

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:

Ditto on that, love that VW Pigalle Red interior! I will be following this build for sure.
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
grandpa pete wrote:

Ditto on that, love that VW Pigalle Red interior! I will be following this build for sure.

If this was not a numbers matching L41 with Pigalle interior I would have passed and let it go to the crusher. I have a soft spot for black cars with red interior even in Florida.
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you on that, that combo is hard to beat. I love black as well but the body work needs to be perfect, black shows every imperfection!

I noticed that you have been purchasing parts from WW as well. I have been pleased with the parts quality and they usually ship the same day if I order in the morning. I actually drove down to their shop last week for some parts, the building is much larger than I expected. The building is larger than JBugs, Pierside Parts, Bill & Steves, SoCalParts, etc. that I have visited. VW restoration must be on the upswing as they they had 2 truck deliveries in the short time I was visiting.
Kastnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. I just got a 66 for my wife
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="vwnut1" I actually drove down to their shop last week for some parts, .[/quote]

My friend Dave ordered a set of pans from them . He told them that his friend would drop by to pick them up on his way back to Florida . They were VERY SURPRISED when I pulled up in a 72 foot tractor trailer !!!....for one box Very Happy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Grug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 "Proud" new owner of a rust bucket Reply with quote

Awesome story so far. Can't believe you found the key in the tunnel; very cool.

Looking forward to pictures of the repaired area beneath the rear window. As kids, we used to call that the 'baby buggy' area.

And the interior is sharp! Cool

Just curious, how big is your total garage area? 24X24? I'm hoping to build a garage this summer and was thinking 24X24 or 26X26.

Cheers!
Grug
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 "Proud" new owner of a rust bucket Reply with quote

I am so frustrated with the replacement metal I have received from all vendors. I have been patiently waiting for donor cars to make sure this car gets the best treatment. I have wasted a ton of money with top vendors only to find their product is the same crap everyone sells. The KK stuff is not even a close match. It really is unfortunate. I am glad that the wife only gives me so much money a year to work on this. Since I have waited: Gerson is making correct heater channels, thanks Gerson!. TMI has stepped up and is making correct 66 only Pigalle seat covers and door panels. Thank you Mario!
I refuse to put substandard patch panels on this car even though we have no history. It deserves respect being 50 years old and having most of its original parts. I respect this car as weird as it may sound but it has a personality. Sometimes I walk past it and I get a tear in my clothing. Like it is asking me to give it attention Shocked. I often find myself talking to the car without the help of bourbon. It has obviously been loved by someone and not taken care of by someone else.
I just cannot find it in myself to weld this substandard crap that everyone sells as replacement panels to this car. I am currently working with a samba member to get clean and dry sections from California to Florida.
This build has been going on too long but I refuse to put crap on this car. I will wait until the proper replacement part is available before this car is finished. I have not abandoned this thread just waiting on the right parts.

Last edited by fla2smoker on Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 "Proud" new owner of a rust bucket Reply with quote

Got some new toys today Very Happy What did I say about the budget? Tools don't count right? Hypertherm Powermax 30xp plasma cutter and an Everlast i-TIG-200t. Have a CK flex-loc torch model 131 (size 9 equivalent) with super flex hose and gas lens kit on order. Did some quick cuts with the plasma cutter on 16-20 gauge sheet and it cut like butter with a super thin kerf. Really happy! I am going to do some test gouging this weekend on an old frame head and see if I can remove the lower plate without too much damage.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hoandtina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 "Proud" new owner of a rust bucket Reply with quote

Damn, I found a 65' for $600 rust free, it's crazy how different the prices are in different states.
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 "Proud" new owner of a rust bucket Reply with quote

In the background is a dual frequency ultrasonic cleaner. That was purchased to clean a Suzuki Eiger carb. Suzuki decided that a fuel petcock with an off position was not necessary. Well, ethanol fuel has made that choice a bad choice. No matter what I put in the fuel to stabilize or separate, the carb becomes a corn cob after sitting for 2 months or more. I have replaced every jet and soaked in berrymans a number of times but it doesn't seem to ever get clean. I did not want to spend $440 on a new carb. I saw a post from Glenn about using an ultrasonic cleaner for nasty dizzy's so I though what the heck, I will try it for the Suzuki carb, as well as the 30 pict-1 carbs, fuel pumps and 205k distributors if it works on the Suzuki carb. I used Simple Green Aircraft formula (aluminum safe) and that carb looks brand new. It runs outstanding. So I have a pile of parts that need to be run through it. I will post the before and after pics of the carbs, distributors and fuel pumps.
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 "Proud" new owner of a rust bucket Reply with quote

hoandtina wrote:
Damn, I found a 65' for $600 rust free, it's crazy how different the prices are in different states.

You are lucky. I haven't seen a rust free good running original engine 60's VW in Florida for less than a grand since the mid 80's.
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 "Proud" new owner of a rust bucket Reply with quote

With the help of Samba members dutchboyvw and Ratherb-buggin, I was able to finally get the last area of real VW metal that I have needed to get this rust bucket put back together (Fresh from California!). Let the cutting finally begin!

Proper 66 rear clip with no rust holes or damage from being hit.
Oh and if anybody doesn't believe that there was death foam in 66 here is the proof:

grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 "Proud" new owner of a rust bucket Reply with quote

It's great to see that you are back at it .
Have fun playing with your new toys ; I mean tools . Smile

fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 "Proud" new owner of a rust bucket Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
It's great to see that you are back at it .
Have fun playing with your new toys ; I mean tools . Smile

Thanks GP,
The boys have taken the season off so no soccer at least until fall, so I actually have time again to spend in the garage. I have always wanted to learn how to TIG sheet metal as I love the look of the finished product, so I bought one. I also got some shrinking discs from Wray Schelin and a Nicholson #25 curved vixen file. So no matter how bad I screw up, I should be able to work it back to normal.... I will start media blasting the metal this weekend and post pics as I go. So happy to finally have the time, proper tools and metal to get this car where I want it to be.
ratherb-buggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 "Proud" new owner of a rust bucket Reply with quote

Terry, I was happy to help out! Now that you have some good metal, and the right tools it will be fun to see the progress as it happens! Keep up the good work, she'll be on the road before you know it!
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 "Proud" new owner of a rust bucket Reply with quote

fla2smoker wrote:
Got some new toys today Very Happy What did I say about the budget? Tools don't count right? Hypertherm Powermax 30xp plasma cutter and an Everlast i-TIG-200t. Have a CK flex-loc torch model 131 (size 9 equivalent) with super flex hose and gas lens kit on order. Did some quick cuts with the plasma cutter on 16-20 gauge sheet and it cut like butter with a super thin kerf. Really happy! I am going to do some test gouging this weekend on an old frame head and see if I can remove the lower plate without too much damage.

hahaha, your equipment is worth more dough than your car at the moment Wink
Go change that around, I would say Laughing
Seems like you've gathered lots of parts to put on it once you'll be done welding; it will be a pretty Volkswagen in the end, I'm positive on that Cool

Good luck with the project.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 "Proud" new owner of a rust bucket Reply with quote

tisius wrote:

hahaha, your equipment is worth more dough than your car at the moment Wink

Isn't that the way it always works? Very Happy

I am pretty happy now that the only aftermarket metal going on this car is the heater channels and front firewall sections from KlassicFab, the floorpans from WolfsburgWest and the A-pillar's from Auto Craft Engineering.
Oatsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 "Proud" new owner of a rust bucket Reply with quote

Saved your build thread! Even if I'm here for the long haul, I'll be sitting on the edge of my seat! Haven't heard from you for awhile and a summer has passed.... Any pictures to share??
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 "Proud" new owner of a rust bucket Reply with quote

Oatsey wrote:
Saved your build thread! Even if I'm here for the long haul, I'll be sitting on the edge of my seat! Haven't heard from you for awhile and a summer has passed.... Any pictures to share??

No new pictures. This past summer and fall was way too hot to spend quality time in the garage, so I took an autobody class at the local technical center, I will be taking a TIG welding class next. Every time I look at this project it gets overwhelming, but just like eating an elephant, one bite at a time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: