Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stereo Systems installation in Splitties
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
ToolBox wrote:
While my Becker is out for service I am using this with this Bluetooth receiver. that has a 1/8" output jack.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Works pretty well in the noisy cabin on my Single.

Do you have just a regular 12 volt lead off of the fuse-box for that, and/or how are you powering it? Looks like a great size. Looks like it'd be easy enough to just place it on the dash.

It is just fed off the stock fuse block. The output spec is wishful thinking, only fed with a 16ga feeder that is included.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marinablau1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

Stanagon wrote:
Here are some pictures from a stock-ish radio install I did recently in a customer's 67 bus. The customer wanted a basic AM/FM radio in the dash.

AM/FM cassette head unit that I purchased at a VW swap meet. The face plate could be fancier, maybe later.

Under dash view.

Special bracket I formed to mount the radio.

Safari antenna mounting.

Single speaker, for now, using original speaker bracket supplied by j.dot pickenz.

I used needlecraft backing for the speaker 'grill'. Blue was the darkest color they had at my local JoAnn fabric. In real life you can hardly see that it is blue.

You can hear what it sounds like here, in a video I posted on FB.
https://www.facebook.com/201308013242269/videos/vb...mp;theater

The above video is public, you should not have to log in to fb to view it.

Hi,
Would you be so kind to tell me, how did you fix the speaker bracket
behind the dashboard? Do I have to weld it to the dashboard?

I bought the bracket from VW Heritage, UK which looks exactly like yours.
But I have absolutely no clue how to fix it.

Appreciate your help.

Kind regards
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

The speaker bracket screws to the dashboard with 2 screws underneath.

In this photo:

You can see 2 shiny screws in the top center, to the left of the speaker.
These 2 screws are holding the speaker bracket to the underside of the dash
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
StefDS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

slammed shady wrote:

I have an ETON ECC600 installed under the back bench, combined with a hidden woofer in the side cabinet. Two speakers in the rear and one behind the dash get fired by a retro-sound radio and my Ipod in the ashtray. You can't see nothing, but you can hear a lot... Cool Laughing

That interior is just killer!
I've tried to find some more pictures of the build of it on your website, but was not able to find any..
Help Help
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

This is as good a place as any for a stereo related topic.....

I have a Kenwood head unit in my bus, one of the media player ones and the tuner section gets no stations. I also have safaris and the usual safari antenna. I've taken the head unit out and opened it up to make sure that the antenna makes proper contact inside the unit. I've also checked continuity from the antenna mast to the center pin on the connecter. Put it all back together and I still get zero stations, AM or FM. I live in Orange County so there should be a plethora of stations. I'm thinking it's the head unit that has the problem and with the cost of similar units it's just about disposable.

I'm pretty sure of the answer.

Anyone have any known fixes before I sacrifice this one on the bonfire of high fidelity?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

Try just a length of wire poked into the center hole in the head unit laying outside the door then grab the wire and see if it adds or subtracts signal.

I'd mock it up on the workbench first before tossing it. I'm betting you have all the settings right and double checked.

Did you check continuity between the center pin and antenna ground with the head unit out just to be certain it is an open circuit and not shorted?
avocado_tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

I'm seeing lots of people running huge amps for their sub-woofers...what's the minimum I can get away with for my '67? 100 amp? 200 amp?

I don't need to be completely "bumpin'" but I want to hear some bass. I'm running a Pioneer 4x50W head unit and was planning on using a separate amp for the sub...

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

Alpine deck with Rockford Fosgate components, two 6.5 mids and tweets under the parcel tray, 4 fosgate tweets running under the rear seat kick panel, two 8" Fosgate subs in the box that was made to fit under the back seat in my old Dodge Dually - those 8's being pushed by 1100 watts alone and 600 watts to the mids and highs.

you can see my 4 Fosgate tweets under the rear seat (kick panel location) high output

1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

i see Amazon is about to release an Echo for the car. I'd like that in my bus because i could use my sirius subscription. Except a) it is 6 volt b)no radio in it currently c) there are no cig lighters in place d) i'm not sure what else i would need but dammit it would be cool to have.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

obus wrote:
i see Amazon is about to release an Echo for the car. I'd like that in my bus because i could use my sirius subscription. Except a) it is 6 volt b)no radio in it currently c) there are no cig lighters in place d) i'm not sure what else i would need but dammit it would be cool to have.

looks like echo car only needs USB power. you can buy a direct wire USB charger for 5 bucks on ebay. all you need now is 12 volts. They do make inverters.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

Like this ?
https://www.ebay.com/p/6-Volt-XM-Satellite-Radio-6...5010153929
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
obus wrote:

looks like echo car only needs USB power. you can buy a direct wire USB charger for 5 bucks on ebay. all you need now is 12 volts. They do make inverters.

I'm sure I've seen a post on here (one of the stickies threads?) where the guy said you can run a USB charger on 6V anyhow without stepping up to 12V. It was a couple of weeks ago, but I can't remember the thread.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
mandraks wrote:
obus wrote:

I'm sure I've seen a post on here (one of the stickies threads?) where the guy said you can run a USB charger on 6V anyhow without stepping up to 12V. It was a couple of weeks ago, but I can't remember the thread.

I've used the normal car charger that came with my Samsung phone on my 6v Bus. It worked but it was kinda slow unless I was freeway cruising. Maybe it wasn't getting a full 6v unless the revs were high.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heckumfromhawaii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: anybody no who did this or any other information Reply with quote

Dasdubber wrote:
Fibreglass makes mounting options virtually endless - unfortunately the shallow depth of the splitty doors and nose makes it a challenge to fit a deep woofer/driver in comfortably. Here is our most recent (and most complex) installation using 2 x amps, active three way front stage (with splits in the doors and four woofers in the nose), rear splits in the corners and 2 10in subs in the roof.....lots of fabrication and wiring!

This is a rear roof sub enclosure so we didn't have to use the under rear seat area (filled with storage draw and ECU etc etc).

Fronts were done in a similar way:

And rears:

flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

Man...I love that bus. The whole build of that thing is really what keeps me going on mine. Mine is not quite at that level...but I'm trying.
Just running wires for it is a daunting task.

Three amps, 9 channels, 11 speakers, 4 way cross over, digital sound processor, 2 batteries, 2 capacitors and too many wires.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

Not a fan of door speakers in these vans.

I like this setup. Must be really shallow speakers:

richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

Here is the setup I've just put in my 65 Panel.

2 amps in the spare wheel well. A JBL 600 watt amp to run an 8" sub and a smaller Vibe 400 watt micro box to run the mids in the toolbox and the doors.

I had two spare JBL 5 1/2" mids so mounted them in the toolbox. Never seen it done so what the hell.

Made some pods for MTX 6 1/2" mids in the doors (door cards are aftermarket - definitely wouldnt have cut originals). Couldn't figure out a suitable way to get them into the kick panels. Waterproof covers are provided inside the doors. Temporary arrangement for the door cabling until I figure out how to get them through the door jambs without drilling.

Here is where I chose to mount the headunit. Mounted on a piece of 6mm MDF and fixed to the cab divider with rubber shocks. Out of the way of water and pretty well hidden. Also was the best way to keep the wiring tidy. Have a Kenwood app on the phone that you can fully control the head unit with so it's not a problem it being behind you.

Everythings running off a separate battery with a split charge system so the ignition and other electricals are entirely independent of the system. I was a small sub skeptic. Not any more. This little 8 is UNREAL and with everything being in the cab, the sound quality is really nice.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

Looking good ^^^^ .
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

I have been pondering the question of how to run a wire loom into the doors. There are some very nice braided stainless steel hose type that slide into your door as it closes, which is nice until you take a close look at the construction of the "A" pillar. It is mess like two pieces of angle iron inside of a trapezoid, then skinned with sheet metal. Drilling a hole through that you'll need sharks with frickin laser beams on their heads.

I will be doing a clean version in the same location as Richierich has done above.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

sorry, but using your phone to control your radio is pretty lame.

Need to turn the volume down quick to talk? Nope, gotta fiddle w/the phone.

Need to change input from USB or Bluetooth to radio? Nope.

There are headunits that fit in the OEM opening w/o that hassle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: