Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Don't mess with a '67 bug
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mowser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 10:47 pm    Post subject: Don't mess with a '67 bug Reply with quote

Okay, here's a story for ya. About 14 years ago I owned my first car. A 1967 standard Beetle. It was cheap and fun. Living in the prairies I had endless stubble to buzz about on. Alot of them trails for dirtbikes and 4x4s. Coming home one late evening I headed up a main drive in the slow lane (as was appropriate for the 1200cc engine that was in the car at the time) I happened to come up on an early '70 Barracuda and proceeded to pass. They didn't like that and we went back and forth up the hill. Having an obvious power disadvantage they were buggin me. To make a long chase short... They were now mad at me and chased me through the streets and back alleys where I grew up. With a 'Cuda on my tail I headed for my old stomping grounds... the trails. They followed for a bit bottoming out several times I'm sure till they turned off and into a back alley to give chase on a parralal route. FYI with the ingition turned off the brake lights don't work on an early bug. I turned off my headlights and drove by moon light for a bit then I stopped without them knowing. I saw them race off in the distance. When the coast was clear I continued down the trail to the end. OOPS! they were still searching and found me so off we went again. This time I was serious and headed for the Goodyear tire plant near by. They had underground natural gas lines travelling across the trail which made about a 3 foot hump on the trail. Great for a Bug... NOT so good for a Barracuda. Upon landing I noticed that they now only had one headlight. I proceeded to go over the other two humps in excess of 45MPH. I'd done it a million time with friends so I knew exactly how fast on which one. The Cuda died there on that trail. About a month later I was approached by the owner of the car. All he could do was laugh at how he was duked by a VW
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:06 pm    Post subject: Don't mess with a '67 bug Reply with quote

that reminds me of a "hot-rod chevy truck"
i was driving home from work one night in my 73 westy, at about 11pm, and in the town i live in the traffic lights flash after 11pm (unless its a big intersection, then the lights would work as normal), so i can just take the main road straight home, without hitting any stop lights, so i was driving along, doing about 50mph in a 35mph zone, and passed a chevy pickup, then came to a red light, the guy pulls up next to me and stares me down while reving his engine, so i rolled down my window and asked him what he wanted, and of corse he replies, lets race, i just gave him this look and said, dude!! im driving a bus!!! so he felt pretty stupid and of corse had to boost his ego by blowing me away when the light turned green, i guess people just cant have a VW pass them Smile
i just wish he could come across my friend with his bug, it runs mid 14's, im sure he would have loved to get smoked by a little bug.
jfpvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Don't mess with a '67 bug Reply with quote

thats why sometimes i want an all-stock looking beetle with a huge engine in the back.
Mowser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:27 pm    Post subject: Don't mess with a '67 bug Reply with quote

Ya just have to wonder about some people in their V8's.
Tonight a bunch of our local VW club got together to BS and
talk shop. Next thing we know we are pulling the engine out
of a donor '72 bus. A well to do type 4 with German oversized pistons
...... The previous owner showed us a picture that the local
police dep't was kind enough to take of it. His wife was doing 140Kph uphill
Their son used to take it and race all the motorheads at school. HEHEHE
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: