Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Narrowing link pin leaves
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IntrstlarOvrdrve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Narrowing link pin leaves Reply with quote

I understand the concept of narrowing leaves but I have some questions before I narrow mine. I bought a 4in narrowed beam, it looks like it may be a tad narrower than 4in, so if I just cut 2in off each side it would leave slack. How tight do the arms need to be to the bushings? I assume tight. Also, there is no other seal I need, correct? The bushings replcae the needle bearings so no need to seals? As you can see in the picture, I still need to narrow the leaves. Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

While we're on the topic..it looks like I need to modify my body to run the shock towers? Confused
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The torsion leaves should slide right through the holes in the torsion arms (they did on mine or maybe I filed the arms so they would) so just put the torsion arms on and cut off what's sticking out. I used some ratcheting straps to make sure the torsion arms where tight up against the urethane bushings then marked where to drill the new dimple for the grub screw. I actually have an old grub screw with a hole drilled in the center so I just screw the grub screw in and drill a pilot hole in the leaves then remove the arms and drill the new dimple. VERY IMPORTANT: since your beam is a link & king pin everything has to go back together with exact measurements or you will run into trouble with the link pin shims if somethings off.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MOST important thing before you cut is to make sure you are going to be within range of the shim chart for your link pin carrier!

Thats way more important then just cutting off the leaves and you need to make sure you get your dimples in the right place to stay on the chart.
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Narrowing link pin leaves Reply with quote

Do the leaves actually pass thru the torsion arm like this or do you need to file the ends down for them to pass thru? Also do you guys have a pic of this shim chart? Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: