Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Motor home to Beetle wiring
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Hollingsworth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor home to Beetle wiring Reply with quote

Ken, I hope you're not tired of me yet, I'm almost there. Off the 4-wire umbilical, beetle by itself, I have running lights, turn signal lights and brake lights Very Happy . Headlights are a new problem. I said in my last post that the right headlight was intermittant. It turns out that I have dims on the driver side and brights on the passenger side. I swapped bulbs and the same was true, so it doesn't appear to be bad headlight bulbs. I took a look at the dimmer switch and all appears well there. Wires to the fuse panel are as they should be according to my schematic. I suspect maybe a bad switch (?) as I don't know where to look next.

BTW, I was wrong in a previous post where I quoted using a black/red post on the fuse bar. It was as you said it should be, gray/red (or gray/black).

Any ideas on the headlights?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Motor home to Beetle wiring Reply with quote

Bob Hollingsworth wrote:
I'm almost there. Off the 4-wire umbilical, beetle by itself, I have running lights, turn signal lights and brake lights Very Happy .

Does this mean hopefully now all is working both on and off the umbilical.. ??
If so.. great you got through it..

Bob Hollingsworth wrote:

Yep.. can be a few things ..
Start here..

Either the yellow and white wires are mixed up at the fuse block
or
DIRTY fuses and/or grounds
or
The headlamp connector is "wired" incorrectly.

Be sure its like this..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Hollingsworth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor home to Beetle wiring Reply with quote

Ken, I have checked all wiring and they appear to be where the schematic says they should be connected.

The fuse block and fuses are all new and good.

The ground (brown wire) is good.

Both headlights work, low and high beam. As before, the low beam only works on driver side, high beam only on the passenger side.

The one thing I noticed today is that the high beam indicator light was located in the top hole and was not working. I relocated to the middle hole, per the schematic, and it works there. However, it is constantly on in either foot switch position.

The dimmer switch is hooked up per the schematic with yellow on the left and white on the right. The white/black (or gray) is in the middle.

Any other suggestions?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Motor home to Beetle wiring Reply with quote

HOPEFULLY you have the correct fuse block..
There is one fuse block out there that doesn't have the correct buss bar bridges for the headlights..

And.. there was a mix up in parts

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=534521&highlight=bus+fuse

Exchange the white and yellow headlight wires at the fuse block
White for white yellow for yellow. See what happens.

Noticed the input BRIDGE on the fuses..
2 and 3
4 and 5
6 and 7

Makes sure you have the bar across the input (upper closest to dash/rear)

Reading this diagram below realize this is as you see it from under the DASH inside the car... and its opposite from under the hood.

Up is up.. but left and right are opposite under the hood.. (using this diagram)
Inputs are always towards the rear (up) and protected outputs are always towards the front (down) or fuel tank..
Make sure you have it correct..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Hollingsworth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor home to Beetle wiring Reply with quote

My fuse block is new and looks like the one you posted, single, double, double, double, single.

I switched the white and yellow wires but that only changed the low beam to the passenger side and the high beam to the driver side.

I also switched the yellow and white dimmer switch wires at the fuse block and that only caused one headlight to come on in one dimmer switch position and no headlights in the other dimmer switch position.

I noticed today a discrepancy in the large red wires positions. My schematic shows a red wire from the alternator going to the light switch and a red wire from the light switch (same terminal) to the fuse block far left terminal (looking from the front of the car. On my car, they have the red wire from the alternator going to the ignition switch and hooked in with a red wire going to the far left terminal on the fuse block.

My tendency would be to switch the wire per the schematic but I don't want to ruin or burn up any wires.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Motor home to Beetle wiring Reply with quote

The red battery supply wire is wrong.. but its most likely not the problem.
The battery wire must also be attached to the light switch?? Or they would not work at all.

I am assuming you have a floor dimmer?

Switching the dimmer wires FUSE INPUT should have not changed the outcome..and its should have NOT lost anything.
Thats very odd.

Do you happen to have the fuse block installed upside down.. ??

Test using a test lamp.
Headlights on, check for power at the Yellow and White wires at the fuse block input side upper.
One should have power.
Trip the dimmer and it should flip power to the opposite.

If the fuse inputs have have the alternating source.. the problem is the fuse block.
New doesn't mean good..

Repeat for the double fuse outputs..
Both white both yellow.
If they have the alternating dimmer source.. it is a wiring problem or more likely a bad ground.
Make sure the brown wire is grounded back to the main body.. NOT the fender.

Of course.. this is assuming.. everything else is attached correctly.

Usually and often edited
Bob Hollingsworth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor home to Beetle wiring Reply with quote

Ken, here's the latest.

I relocated the red wire coming from the alternator to the light switch with no ill effects. Don't know why it was attached to the ignition switch.

Fuse block was installed correctly.

I checked all yellow and white wires for power and continuity to the headlights. All was OK there.

I rechecked the ground and all was ok there also even though it was attached to the inside of the body next to the left fender, not the fender itself. It looked like it had always been there so I left it.

All that seemed to be left was the fuse block and the fuses themselves. I couldn't see that there was anything wrong with block so I turned to the fuses. All the fuses were good from a visual standpoint so I took each one out to check them for continuity just for grins. I was running out of options and ideas.

I looked at the fuse ends and although they looked pretty good they were a little hazy so I took some emery cloth to each end and brightened them up a liitle bit, pushed the holders together a little for a tighter fit, and..............

VOILA!!!!!!!!!!!!! the lights work. Razz Razz Razz Razz

The fuse block is brass and the fuse metal is, I guess, aluminum which is probably causing the light corrosion from dissimilar metals. Would it help, and is it OK, to use dielectric grease on the fuse ends?

I'm still not out of the woods yet as I have to hook up the umbilical to the MH and make sure that they work from there.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Motor home to Beetle wiring Reply with quote

Hmmmmm... dirty fuse.. sounds vaguely familiar...

Wink

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Bob Hollingsworth wrote:

Yep.. can be a few things ..
Start here..

Either the yellow and white wires are mixed up at the fuse block
or
DIRTY fuses and/or grounds
or
The headlamp connector is "wired" incorrectly.

I guess you've never had to "spin" a fuse while on the fly driving.. Those Euro style fuses are notorious for oxidizing..
Its quite common for a fuse (any of them) to simply get so oxidized that it will create so much resistance.. it will cause the circuit to open up. ( loose connection). Many a VW driver could simply reach down find the "warm" fuse from high resistance give it a spin and it would clean the connection enough for the circuit to operate. Headlamps take higher current and were the most prone..

YES a little die-electric will go a long way..
A very light coat AFTER fuse and terminal cleaning..

Wink Class dismissed. Laughing

Next question ...

Usually and often edited
Bob Hollingsworth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Motor home to Beetle wiring Reply with quote

No, I never had to spin a fuse. We owned two 67 bugs back in the 70s and 80s and only had 2 problems between them; a worn out master cylinder and a worn out ignition switch.

I will definitely clean up the fuse ends some more and add the dielectric grease.
I had looked at the fuses but they seemed ok, not heavily oxidated like I have seen on electrical items before. Not until I did the continuity test on them and got so-so readings did I decide to put the emery cloth to them.

Youv'e been a tooper hanging in with me on this Ken. I really appreciate it. Even though it tuned out to be something as minor as oxidation, I learned something from the experience.

"Next question ?", you never know Laughing
Bob Hollingsworth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Motor home to Beetle wiring Reply with quote

Oh yeh, I forgot to mention that I rehooked-up the 4-wire to the MH and everything worked except the running lights. They work with the light switch but not from the MH. I don't plan on night driving, but if I have to for a short time, I'll pull the switch to the running lights position.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Motor home to Beetle wiring Reply with quote

Bob Hollingsworth wrote:
Oh yeh, I forgot to mention that I rehooked-up the 4-wire to the MH and everything worked except the running lights. They work with the light switch but not from the MH. I don't plan on night driving, but if I have to for a short time, I'll pull the switch to the running lights position.

Yeah dont pull the VW switch on.... you take the chance of "combining" the two vehicles electrical systems...... electrically..

Find out whats going on with the motor home "tail" circuit. .

Do you have voltage on the brown supply wire..
If so its a connection between the two vehicles issue.

I bet... the brown wire has no voltage..

You are most welcome.
Usually and often edited
Bob Hollingsworth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor home to Beetle wiring Reply with quote

Ken, I don't seem to have power from the MH tail (brown) circuit. I used a test lamp on the 4-wire and it showed power when the turns or stops were activated but no power when I tested the tail circuit with the MH headlights on or only with the running lights on.

I reread previous posts re the tail circuit but it didn't help. Could you explain again why I may not have tail light power from the MH, and what I may be able to do about it?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Motor home to Beetle wiring Reply with quote

Ok.. please clarify and let me know if this is correct.

From MH

Brown = No power
Green = Left turn and Stop = Yes power
Yellow = Right Turn and Stop = Yes power
White Ground = connected between the vehicles.

If all of this is correct.. the Motor Home has a blown Trailer Tail lamp fuse or comparable.

Most newer trucks have a separate fuse JUST FOR the trailer circuits.

Just like what I mentioned back a page Wink

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Bob Hollingsworth wrote:
Ken, I finally got the wiring hooked up and the turns and brake lights worked perfect. Very Happy Thanks for the help you gave me. The only thing that didn't work were the running lights, Sad but maybe they weren't suppose to. Did I miss something?

If the tail lights (as running lights) are not working.. then yes you've missed something.

Make sure the supply from the main vehicle is actually supplying voltage/current.
Lots of newer vehicles have trailer fuses so that when a trailer shorts it blows a fuse to protect the vehicle harness.
Plus it makes quick trailer fault diagnosis. Wink

Usually and often edited
Bob Hollingsworth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor home to Beetle wiring Reply with quote

Ken, Yes on everything but the ground. I didn't have the 4-wire hooked to the VW because I was just checking for power from the MH using a test light, Everything lit up but the brown running lights wire. I checked all the chassis fuses and they were all good. The coach has 2 banks of circuit breakers and although I don't know what a tripped breaker would look like --they're in /out type breakers -- they all looked good.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Motor home to Beetle wiring Reply with quote

Well.. unfortunately ... unless you have an owners manual that indicates fuse location and usage.. you may have to start doing some basic testing and tracing on the Motor Home.
It very well could be a bad breaker.
Im sure an RV or auto shop can help too.

Maybe do some interweb searching on the style of MH you have.
The problem with a lot of cab and chassis trucks, coaches and motor homes.... there are sometimes no master diagram.. and its seat of the pants know how diagnosis and tracing.
Usually and often edited
Bob Hollingsworth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Motor home to Beetle wiring Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm not going to worry about the running lights too much at this point. We leave Monday for a couple of months.

Just one question. Wouldn't the running lights be on the chassis side of things, i.e. fuses rather than breakers?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Motor home to Beetle wiring Reply with quote

Bob Hollingsworth wrote:
Thanks. I'm not going to worry about the running lights too much at this point. We leave Monday for a couple of months.

Just one question. Wouldn't the running lights be on the chassis side of things, i.e. fuses rather than breakers?

It could be either.. no telling..
That's up to the chassis manufacturer.
Its most likely... that there is an AUX fuse block near the rear or near the rear batteries or..hidden in a rear panel.. under the rear.. in line... but the generally not near the front main fuse boxes. (but it could)
Most Road Tractors and medium duties .. use circuit breakers.. and light trucks use fuses.. So a MH could be either..

If you have labels.. hopefully.. an Owners manual
Look for some of these
TRL TAIL
TRL PK
TRL Run
TRL MKR

Could be anything.. but should begin with TRL, TA, T, something like that.

I have no ides what we are working on at this point..

Consult a Motor Home forum on that one.. too many variables..

Example..
When up fitter conversion vans were real popular and had issues.. we in the auto industry found real quick.. ... every one was different.. even if it were the same make and model.. Shocked Mad
Tv's , VCR's , speakers.. mood lighting.. inverters .. converters .. power supplies.... made for an aggravating yet profitable electrical scavenger hunt.. Wink

Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Wed May 04, 2016 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob Hollingsworth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Motor home to Beetle wiring Reply with quote

Thanks again Ken. They didn't include a chassis manual in the literature and what they included in the operator manual is minimal. Not too pleased with Winnebago -- for several reasons.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Motor home to Beetle wiring Reply with quote

Bob Hollingsworth wrote:
Not too pleased with Winnebago

Welcome to RV's.. and coaches..

Not sure if this will help..

but

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/separate-fuse-box-...79120.html

Usually and often edited
Bob Hollingsworth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor home to Beetle wiring Reply with quote

Thanks Ken. I joined and sent a request.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: