Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front end suspension work, trust it to Les Schwab (or similar)?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end suspension work, trust it to Les Schwab (or similar)? Reply with quote

Look for a Porsche - Audi - BMW independent shop that can do suspension work.

They will know how to read a Bentley.

I took in my Syncro to A BMW shop. They did a fantastic alignment after I installed a 35mm lift kit. I brought in the green factory (bently) manual with the pages marked for the front & rear specs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jamo7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Front end suspension work, trust it to Les Schwab (or similar)? Reply with quote

dsdunbar,
I am in (north) Seattle, and while I am still very much on the steep end of the auto mechanic learning curve, I did almost all of the suspension work you describe myself. I would be happy to talk with you (in person or over the phone) about the scope of work.
Updating the suspension and tires resolved the most significant drivability issues of my van, and it was very rewarding to do it myself.
I'd love to help you out if I can,
James
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Front end suspension work, trust it to Les Schwab (or similar)? Reply with quote

teej wrote:
TruLine in Seattle and Bellevue does awesome work and is familiar with Vanagons. They are on the spendy side, but they are true pros.

This is a very true recommendation. They are very picky and do a great job. They are not the cheapest, but then again, quality rarely is.

Both shops have an extremely good reputation with other repair shops in the area too. I recommend them to my clients when there are weird issues I cannot do myself. When the customers and the competition are recommending them, that should tell you everything you need to know.

Last edited by Butcher on Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Front end suspension work, trust it to Les Schwab (or similar)? Reply with quote

teej wrote:
TruLine in Seattle and Bellevue does awesome work and is familiar with Vanagons. They are on the spendy side, but they are true pros.

Pete (Bellevue Truline) even owns a Syncro! He just got all new Power flex bushings from his wife and was about to install them on his own rig when I was in chatting last month. If you are close, He would be the one stop shop for the install and alignment.

check the yelp ratings too.
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Front end suspension work, trust it to Les Schwab (or similar)? Reply with quote

DwarfVader wrote:
djkeev wrote:
No.

You're entering the realm of "fast-food" mechanics when you go to a place like Les Schwab... eg: mostly young turks looking at your car, and the business is get them in and out ASAP, so jobs are rushed details are missed and the work is "meh."

When I got tires at Les Schwab, they worked on the rear brake cylinders; they had "the old guy" do it Smile
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end suspension work, trust it to Les Schwab (or similar)? Reply with quote

Thanks.

I stepped away from this thread for the weekend... so wanted to comment on a couple of things:

I agree with supporting the local businesses that offer superb craft for our vehicles.

I just wasnt sure if replacing the front suspension required guru skills (highly specialized knowledge of vanagons) or the skills of a mechanic that works on cars day in and day out (I used Les Schwab but meant any big chain like LS or firestone etc).

I have a quote to replace the front and rear suspension (labor and parts) and it's a bit north of $6,000.00 (not a Les schwab quote)

That's why I was asking the question...I haven't shopped around to get other quotes (truline etc).
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end suspension work, trust it to Les Schwab (or similar)? Reply with quote

Bring it here!
For 6 large, I'd do it happily! I'll even pay for a hotel while I do it and give you a food allowance!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end suspension work, trust it to Les Schwab (or similar)? Reply with quote

For $6000, ship it round trip to Hawaii. We'll order the parts online. You and your significant other can stay in a hotel in Waikiki. We'll do the work here at my house in Kaneohe with my tools and you can get it aligned at the local Goodyear. For another thousand you could ship it to Maui and spend a week there camping in Hana and a hotel in Lahaina.

Aloha
tp
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end suspension work, trust it to Les Schwab (or similar)? Reply with quote

Hawaii trumps NYC........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end suspension work, trust it to Les Schwab (or similar)? Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:

Pete (Bellevue Truline) even owns a Syncro! He just got all new Power flex bushings from his wife and was about to install them on his own rig when I was in chatting last month. If you are close, He would be the one stop shop for the install and alignment.

check the yelp ratings too.

Right, Pete is who worked on our van a couple times and Byron one time. I started going to the Bellevue location when Pete began working there instead of Seattle. They clearly know their craft and approach work like professionals.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end suspension work, trust it to Les Schwab (or similar)? Reply with quote

This is embarrassing, but the timing is appropriate so....

I initially went to a Vegas-local alignment shop with a good reputation.
To recap that, they claimed the rear end had no adjustments possible (hehe), and they let me drive away with both of the front jamb nuts on the tie rods loose.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This was almost a year ago and I was about to take a trip so I tightened them up, checked everything else and headed out.

In Santa Barbara I looked up a shop that I knew was familiar with vanagons and had them redo the whole alignment.

100 miles or so down the road I checked everything anyway, looks good, and I'm on my way. BUT, visually inspecting someone else's work and doing it myself are two different things.

I didn't notice the passenger radius rod. I probably just looked at the nut on the end, and left it at that.

In the last few days I've heard some clunking up right front, thought it might be the spring shifting or something, and today I finally looked at it.

I'm amazed that I didn't notice it right away, I honestly saw nothing.
So I started dismantling everything, because the spring looked properly placed.
When I got ready to take off the radius rod this is what I saw.

So, even after having someone who knows vanagons, it's a good idea to double check everything thoroughly.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end suspension work, trust it to Les Schwab (or similar)? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:

It is the curse of life to be the type of person who is aware of the quality of work others do. I can unscrew EVERY oil filter I've ever put on a car with my bare hand. And somehow, I have never stripped an oil drain plug, or torqued a lug nut so tight I bent a tool removing it. Somehow, my spark plugs always come out easily, and all the clips on my air filter boxes are always affixed. Life is good....

wildthings wrote:
I have never had front end work done right the first time by any shop.

You can spend your money, and then redo all of it Rolling Eyes ...or just knuckle down and know...even though your unsure...you will do it better..cause its your van and you DO care...and so do we
"Use the force" Shocked
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Front end suspension work, trust it to Les Schwab (or similar)? Reply with quote

dsdunbar wrote:
Thanks.

I stepped away from this thread for the weekend... so wanted to comment on a couple of things:

I agree with supporting the local businesses that offer superb craft for our vehicles.

I just wasnt sure if replacing the front suspension required guru skills (highly specialized knowledge of vanagons) or the skills of a mechanic that works on cars day in and day out (I used Les Schwab but meant any big chain like LS or firestone etc).

I have a quote to replace the front and rear suspension (labor and parts) and it's a bit north of $6,000.00 (not a Les schwab quote)

That's why I was asking the question...I haven't shopped around to get other quotes (truline etc).

Ho-lee shit. $6,000. No words.

The work you described is probably 8-12 hours book time? Let's be generous and say 16 hours (2 days). The parts are $1500 - 2000, so that's $4,000 for labor... $4,000 / 16 = $250 hour.

I'm disgusted.

Unless you're personally earning more than the shop charges per hour ($80-150), buy the tools and do it yourself. Drive it down here and I'll help you do it, although I'm sure there are some good folks in the PNW that would help you too.
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Front end suspension work, trust it to Les Schwab (or similar)? Reply with quote

I think the extremely high quote was a "nice" way of saying "no thanks" vs just being honest and saying they don't work on them or don't know how, or dislike the owner for some reason. Clearly for that insane price any reasonable person would be looking elsewhere.

Not such a common tactic with mechanical shops, but this is VERY common with body shops who only do insurance work. They don't want to work on anything "old" nor to do complete paint jobs, or anything where the quality of their work might be scrutinized. A classic/antique ride that the owner cares about is the last car they want to work on.

While I'm appalled at the apparent lack of concern for safety by the photos posted above, I'm sad to say I'm not surprised. There's only one man in my town that I trust my van to in regards to an alignment, and he's old enough to know what a radius rod is and doesn't need any fancy laser rack to do the job correctly. Guess what? It took twice as long and cost twice as much.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: