Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

brakes sticking
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugstrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: brakes sticking Reply with quote

new to the Ghia world and I am actually selling it, however, went to move it yesterday (after parked for about 9 months) and the brakes seem to be stuck. (I cannot push it like I used to). It also will start but "bog" down when I accelerate (different issue)
my question is how can I quickly "unstuck" these brakes so I can move the car (not driving it so not concerned about stopping yet)
just need something I can do to get it moved back and forth for a day or two before new owner picks up. (new owner is aware of brake issue)
bugstrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: brakes sticking Reply with quote

and I might add it is a 73 ghia. I did review some previous post but most indicate how to repair vice a quick unlock
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: brakes sticking Reply with quote

jack up... take wheel off and give the brake drum a couple of good whacks with a sledge hammer. that'll unfreeze the brakes.

did this to mine at christmas before i replaced the shoes, caliper and hardware
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: brakes sticking Reply with quote

bhartwell59 wrote:
jack up... take wheel off and give the brake drum a couple of good whacks with a sledge hammer. that'll unfreeze the brakes.

Agreed. I've had this happen too. The rear drums lock up, probably due to having the emergency brake on.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: brakes sticking Reply with quote

Those little rubber plugs in the brake backing plate are really kinda important.Keeps out water and debris. Rust build up and debris can cause the shoes to stick like that.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes sticking Reply with quote

Just a note for others...I never leave the emergency brake on when in the garage...just leave it in gear. That way the shoes aren't left in contact with the drums and the brake cable isn't stretched. I was always taught waggle the gear stick in neutral and to depress the clutch pedal before starting the car so there's no danger of sending it through the garage wall.

Old fashioned ideas for old fashioned cars. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes sticking Reply with quote

bhartwell59 wrote:

did this to mine at christmas before i replaced the shoes, caliper and hardware

Lot easier and less damaging to just slide in a thin punch against each shoe edge thru the brake shoe inspection hole in the backing plate and use a hammer to rap on the punch.

Most times all you really need to do is switch from first to reverse and let the clutch out in each gear just enough to shift the VW a little, and the shoes will pop loose. Just do not let it bog the engine down too much when doing that.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes sticking Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Just a note for others...I never leave the emergency brake on when in the garage...just leave it in gear. That way the shoes aren't left in contact with the drums and the brake cable isn't stretched. I was always taught waggle the gear stick in neutral and to depress the clutch pedal before starting the car so there's no danger of sending it through the garage wall.

Old fashioned ideas for old fashioned cars. ;)

Agreed.

My late stepfather advised me - when I bought my first VW - to leave it OUT of gear and with the handbrake OFF when parked in the garage at our house. Put a block behind the wheel to stop it rolling back, if you have to, he said, but make sure that in case of a fire you are able to pull the car out of the garage by the back bumper.

I still do that - a small block of 2 by 4 behind the back wheel.
bugstrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes sticking Reply with quote

Note - it was parked in neutral with no Ebrake engaged.

ERIC&Barb - when you use the punch method do you have to do all four wheels and do the fronts also have the inspection hole in the blanking plate?

I have moved it in reverse and 1st gear (by starting without clutch pushed in) but brakes still seem stuck.

I need it moved ASAP so I moved it by the above method to get it in line with the driveway and I hooked up towbar to move it. BUT I need to put it back in place later today so that is why I was looking for a quick method. Worst case, it lives on the street until I can work on it this weekend.

Thanks to all who responded.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes sticking Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
I was always taught waggle the gear stick in neutral and to depress the clutch pedal before starting the car so there's no danger of sending it through the garage wall.

Oh Oh, Not to pick a fight with our moderator but .................... Shame on you

I was schooled never have the clutch en-gauged when cold starting. Theory being more force is on the front bearing that is not yet primed with oil can cause more wear.

Now, I don't think John ever drives his lowilght anyway. All those fancy pics of his car in English country side are photoshopped........

Last edited by swavananda on Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes sticking Reply with quote

bugstrk wrote:

ERIC&Barb - when you use the punch method do you have to do all four wheels and do the fronts also have the inspection hole in the blanking plate?

I have moved it in reverse and 1st gear (by starting without clutch pushed in) but brakes still seem stuck.

I need it moved ASAP so I moved it by the above method to get it in line with the driveway and I hooked up towbar to move it. BUT I need to put it back in place later today so that is why I was looking for a quick method. Worst case, it lives on the street until I can work on it this weekend.

Thanks to all who responded.

That could be bigger problem, like swollen flex lines holding pressure or corrosion/sediment build up clogging the lines.

Have you determined which wheels are sticking? The fronts have disk brakes , so no inspection holes
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes sticking Reply with quote

bugstrk wrote:

If the E-brake was not engaged. then the brakes are not stuck. Would try jacking up each wheel or axle and see which ones seem to be causing the problem. Very well might be that one or more brake flex lines are bad or the MC push rod is not returning enough to let off the brake pressure on the rear axle.

Punch method of how many wheels needs to be freed, sets the need of which shoes need to be rapped on. EG if the front left tire is stuck the left front tire needs the shoes to be rapped on.

Fronts will have inspection holes if drum brakes are on the front beam. If you have disc brakes you might still need rapping on the pads.

Agreed, alway start a manual transmission car in neutral with clutch pedal not depressed. You front engine bearing will last longer.
bugstrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes sticking Reply with quote

yes, normal operation is start with clutch engaged and park VW always out of gear without e brake on (that's how I do it anyway). I have several 4x4 blocks cut at 45 angle for chocks.
desperate times call for desperate measures, I had to determine if the car moved forward or back if the brakes would release, not to mention, I had to move the car quickly. I have the towbar installed and will be moving it after work. I will read up on the other threads to get the repair process down for the weekend.
bugstrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes sticking Reply with quote

another question, can you manually move the MC rod back to allow the pressure to release (if in fact that is the culprit)
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes sticking Reply with quote

bugstrk wrote:
another question, can you manually move the MC rod back to allow the pressure to release (if in fact that is the culprit)

If it is a pressure bound caliper/cylinder ........since you are looking for quick fix....... just crack open the bleeder on the offending wheel and allow for the fluid to seep out. That should allow it to release. Deal with proper brake maintenance when things get settled.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes sticking Reply with quote

bugstrk wrote:

You can, but best to not just go that way because it starts to mess up the brakes. If it worked fine before parking for so long would find out which wheel/s are stuck and go from there. Otherwise the madness of not diagnosing what is wrong and just tearing things apart ensues.

Additionally you could just pull the brake pedal all the way back and give the push rod a wiggle to see if it is spaced off the MC piston.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes sticking Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
That way the shoes aren't left in contact with the drums and the brake cable isn't stretched.

A steel cable will not stretch while it is just sitting there with the handbrake engaged - you would need to apply a very high load and/or subject it to a very high temperature to do this.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes sticking Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
That way the shoes aren't left in contact with the drums and the brake cable isn't stretched.

A steel cable will not stretch while it is just sitting there with the handbrake engaged - you would need to apply a very high load and/or subject it to a very high temperature to do this.

Haha...I did say they were old fashioned ideas...it's force of habit. Things you're told when you first start driving as a 17 years old stick with you. Wink
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: brakes sticking Reply with quote

Quote:
Things you're told when you first start driving as a 17 years old stick with you. Wink

Sounds like my dad...after i got caught doing a burnout..."hey, you dont need to impress anyone around here but me".
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: