Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil leak over valve cover on cylinder 3 and 4 on fresh rebuild
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpencerBerning
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Oil leak over valve cover on cylinder 3 and 4 on fresh rebuild Reply with quote

I'm having issues pinning down this oil leak I'm having on a freshly rebuilt 1600cc dual port. All stock internals, oil filter standoff added(no leak issues there). I can't think of anything else that's aftermarket. Enough details; the leak seemed at first to be from the valve cover gasket, and it was bad enough that after an hour highway drive there was oil thrown all over the lower drivers side of the engine and my rear cage (it's a baja bug). Also, a nearly 5" diameter oil spot on the ground under my heater boxes. I replaced the gasket before going home, only to find it seems to still be leaking, but from somewhere ABOVE the valve cover, and running down the cover, and dripping onto the heater boxes. It looks to me to be staying on the outside of the engine, so I'm pretty sure I can rule out push rod tubes. I'm wondering if this is something simple, or if someone could give me a few ideas of what to check that could be causing issues in that area so that I can look for that immediately or get by and check everything when I go back to re-torque after 500 miles. I've heard oil cooler seals, but that's on the other side of the engine. I've heard cracks in the block but this block has been used before without leaking. Is it just too much to ask for a VW to be able to park somewhere and not leave some kind of oil spot?? I mean come on, it's a fresh rebuild and I'm already having problems. Anyway, any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak over valve cover on cylinder 3 and 4 on fresh rebuild Reply with quote

Were the VC gaskets glued to the cover? If not they may have slipped and you aren't sealing there. Some covers have a little ridge to help hold it in place, others lack this.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak over valve cover on cylinder 3 and 4 on fresh rebuild Reply with quote

Good news, Bad news.
The good news is that your have a baja. Easy to yard out the engine and have a look.
The bad news is that more than likely your adapter, oil cooler seals or oil cooler are leaking. Those are the only oil carrying items above the VC on the left side of the engine. If you can take the fan shroud off while the engine is in the car and have a look great. Otherwise your going to have to remove the engine and take the tins off for better view.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
KPottorff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak over valve cover on cylinder 3 and 4 on fresh rebuild Reply with quote

Don't forget to mention that there are at least two sizes of seals - 8 and 10 mm, IIRC depending on year of case - along with a few seals that are something of an adaptive size when you mix cooler / case year parts.

The adaptive type allows one to use a late year / replacement cooler with an older case which is alright but not really recommended going the other way with an older cooler and a later case.

At any rate, be sure the seal type is correct for the case / cooler setup. It's kind of obvious when it's not right. The seal should crush a little when fastening the cooler at the base.
SpencerBerning
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak over valve cover on cylinder 3 and 4 on fresh rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks for the inputs and affirmations that it's probably the oil cooler/ seals. I know I used a different oil cooler on this build than the last, and that there was a discrepancy with the seal sizes but they seemed to fit just fine. I'll go back and make sure I either pressure test the cooler or get the right size seals/adapter seals. Or both.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak over valve cover on cylinder 3 and 4 on fresh rebuild Reply with quote

While leaking oil cooler seals will indeed show oil on the left side, I would not expect it to appear to come from the valve cover area. More often it drips straight down and looks like a pushrod tube leak, or a cylinder/block leak.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak over valve cover on cylinder 3 and 4 on fresh rebuild Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Good news, Bad news.
The good news is that your have a baja. Easy to yard out the engine and have a look.
The bad news is that more than likely your adapter, oil cooler seals or oil cooler are leaking. Those are the only oil carrying items above the VC on the left side of the engine. If you can take the fan shroud off while the engine is in the car and have a look great. Otherwise your going to have to remove the engine and take the tins off for better view.
Good Luck.

dont forget the oil pressure switch as a leak source, left side of the motor.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
SpencerBerning
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak over valve cover on cylinder 3 and 4 on fresh rebuild Reply with quote

As far as the oil pressure switch goes, I'm quite certain its not from there considering the leak is too far towards the flywheel side of the engine. It is odd that the oil is more over the valve cover and not near the push rod tubes. I just know it shouldn't still be the valve cover gasket, considering I put a thin layer of Permatex gasket sealer #2 on the inside lip of the valve cover to keep the gasket in place when I put it on.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak over valve cover on cylinder 3 and 4 on fresh rebuild Reply with quote

5" diameter oil slick is a bit on the large size. I'm no expert here, but maybe the oil is being picked up by the turbulence in the fan shroud and that is why it is coming over the VC. I think it would be prudent to just remove the engine and take the tins off and have a look. In a Baja as you know, it's a 30 minute task. And that's even taking a beer break in the middle of the process Shocked . Just sayin!
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
SpencerBerning
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak over valve cover on cylinder 3 and 4 on fresh rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks to my engine basket being a bear to mount and dismount, engine removal and installation is around an hour and a half round trip, not to mention the work in between finding the oil leak. It's more than just an evening expedition for me since I basically work 6 an 1/2 days a week. With that being said I've got the local car show coming up in a week so I may have to make time to check it out. Don't want to be dripping oil all over main street with the whole town watching! Embarassed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: