Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Filter?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

a $40 clamp for a 89 cent filter

I went with a slightly larger filter, with a metal housing, nice barbed ends too. I have found many of the little plastic ones have no barb, infact some have a slight taper down towards the tip!

I no longer use the little plastic filters although having a clear body does aid in seeing how much dirt they collect.

I now exclusivly use lined hoses, SAE 30R9 rated. I got tired of frequent replacement of the cloth wrapped hoses. I got to many vintage cars to put them on a every two or three year hose change schedule. If i did Id be replacing hoses on a car every few months. just keeping up with brake fluid flushing is time consumming. I have converted a couple of my cars to silicone fluid, so they dont need the frequent flushing. keeping up a small fleet can be time consuming even if miles driven is small, things still need to be maintained!

I highly recommend the newest lined hoses.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Harris wrote:
So Glenn who made it?

lou

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1901747

So is this guy an authority on the subject???? And by What means!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:

I would have used captive nuts and made it so you only have to remove one screw and the right section would clamp around the grommet and rotate out of the way. That would make it much easier to replace the filter.

Even better would be to have one end just hinge away from the filter. Held closed with a spring loaded hinge or a spring strung from one end to the other. Be helpful when ever the filter clogs up on a part of the road that one would not want to be stuck on for very long.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Harris wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Harris wrote:
So Glenn who made it?

lou

Go pick a fight with someone else. A bracket that mounts to the heater box was shown, so I showed an alternative. I don't make it, profit form it or endorse it.

Personally I have my fuel filter zipped tied to the mechanical oil pressure hose that runs from my engine to the body of the car.... it works for me. I don't really care if anyone else likes or dislikes it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Harris wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Harris wrote:
So Glenn who made it?

lou

Go pick a fight with someone else. A bracket that mounts to the heater box was shown, so I showed an alternative. I don't make it, profit form it or endorse it.

Personally I have my fuel filter zipped tied to the mechanical oil pressure hose that runs from my engine to the body of the car.... it works for me. I don't really care if anyone else likes or dislikes it.

It was entitled by you that this was the correctt solution. I wanted to know who made that statement--you or someone else. Chill out, Not picking a fight. Get your facts straight Glenn
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Harris wrote:
It was entitled by you that this was the correctt solution. I wanted to know who made that statement--you or someone else. Chill out, Not picking a fight. Get your facts straight Glenn

Wrong.... I'll make it easy for you.
Helfen wrote:
I saw that too vapor lock induction.

Helfen wrote:
If you are going to do a bracket for the filter do it the right way. This is the right way. away from the heat, away from the boot. Nice job!!!!

Harris wrote:
Get your facts straight

Harris wrote:
Chill out,

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

boo boo

Last edited by Harris on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Harris wrote:
No fucking vapor who ever in the hell bought that up.

Just get your facts straight before you accuse someone of something they didn't do.

And YES... i'm not an authority one many things. But i never said i was.

Moving on.....

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

I think this tread has run it's course. I know Glenn has the "locked" thread power here and chooses not to lock it.
But my vote is lock it. Maybe Everett will lock it.
Seconds?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

I apologize Glenn for my language and attitude. No excuse here. Always been a fan of your post.

Lou Harris
nreslifer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Who has a fuel filter and who doesn't and do the ones that just have the screen in the tank have any problems with only that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

nreslifer wrote:
Who has a fuel filter and who doesn't and do the ones that just have the screen in the tank have any problems with only that?

That would all depend on how badly rusted your tank and metal fuel lines might be. Even with a filter you can have rust in carb problems.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

To avoid that question sounding more like the prelude to another (inconclusive and needlessly rehashing and argumentative) poll, I'd offer this:

A: Folks who do a concourse restoration with all new lines and a clean tank likely do not need a third filter you reference (in addition to the two in the tank and the fuel pump).

B: Folks who have any part of their fuel system more than 30 years old or so have some form of corrosion in the tank and/or metal lines and are smart to run an easily serviced, additional filter- and service it/them often.

C: Folks who willingly do not service their tank or hard lines use an additional filter as a crutch to avoid real service on their vehicles.

I fit into the 'B' category.

There may be a "D" category- temporary use while flushing a tank or line.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
To avoid that question sounding more like the prelude to another (inconclusive and needlessly rehashing and argumentative) poll, I'd offer this:

A: Folks who do a concourse restoration with all new lines and a clean tank likely do not need a third filter you reference (in addition to the two in the tank and the fuel pump).

B: Folks who have any part of their fuel system more than 30 years old or so have some form of corrosion in the tank and/or metal lines and are smart to run an easily serviced, additional filter- and service it/them often.

C: Folks who willingly do not service their tank or hard lines use an additional filter as a crutch to avoid real service on their vehicles.

I agree, I'll go a step further and say I would probably remove the sock and just let the filter from the back of the tunnel do that job so it could be serviced. I have seen the sock so plugged up that using compressed air from the other side ( at the back of the pan ) to free the crud had the opposite effect and just blew the sock right off. besides the sock does not have the same filtering capacity of a good fuel filter ( micron wise it can let more debris through ).
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

My 2 cents. Most of my cars and my customer cars have some or most of the original fuel system components. This means you have a tank and/or lines that are 40+ years old. There is rust and crud in them and its foolish to not use a proper filter rather than constantly tear apart a carb to clean it. The tank screen isnt enough.

Depending on the car and condition, I will run 1 to 3 filters. Since I will have replaced the soft fuel lines and usually the metal line to the fuel pump, 1 above the rear axle is usually adequate. IF I have replaced the main line thru the tunnel, then I may just use one under the tank. If the car has an electric fuel pump I will definitely run one before the pump.

In the case of "barn finds" or other cars that have been sitting for a very long time, and I have replaced the engine line and the soft lines, I will run 3. 1 under the tank to catch crap before it hits and possibly clogs the main line, 1 at the axle and a TEMPORARY one before the carb.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...

Last edited by andk5591 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

I have utilized the mini plastic filters for decades. It has been the primary choice of dealers and independents. Its locations have been debated here for as long as one can remember.
I as a young dealer tech back in the '70's obtained a '71 bay. Even as a young type 2 bus it had been sitting long enough to rust up the tanks inside. I installed two mini filters between the tank and engine thinking it would suffice, but during the most inopportune time would get restricted. Around '78 or '79 the dealer had a few totaled diesel Rabbits and I borrowed the diesel fuel filter brkt and its fittings and made this fit my bus with a new Bosch filter. Result- no more debris getting into the small places (needle inlet or idle jet). I may replace the filter every 5 years. Here I applied VW/Bosch technology to protect the diesel pump for my basic and daily driver needs.
Bill
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:

Aren't B and C the same thing? I'm running the tank sock and pump cone filter and a lot of 50 plus year old parts.
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

After cleaning and painting my gas tank in my 66, I'm in the process of installing a fuel filter behind the left front wheel.
The access is better and the location keeps the sediment out of the entire fuel line.
In the last pic notice the gas leaking and making the darker area around the original 50 year old fuel line.
I replaced all the fuel lines.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kelleyspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Harris wrote:
So Glenn who made it?

I have been going through the SAMBA looking for this guy. The bracket Glenn posted above is a copy of the brackets I build and sell. He actually bought one of mine and copied it. He added the whole goofy top part as well and now claims the idea as his. I just saw this and had to comment. I hope you figured out your fuel filter bracket. Take care.

Justin

lou

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

http://kelleyspeed.com/Customparts.html

I hadn't heard of them, in Prescott, AZ, live like 30 minutes away from them half the year. might need to stop by.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: