Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Convertible mirror changes
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guillermo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guteandtite wrote:
ah ah ah not til the classic

classic is almost here Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guillermo wrote:
guteandtite wrote:
ah ah ah not til the classic

classic is almost here Shocked

so im reading between the lines. are you saying you want to follow me home and make off with my 52 five finger discount style. HA YEAH RIGHT! too much of that shit in san diego already. go steal a car from TJ and bring it over here for a change. you wanna see it , meet me at your bank, ill bring a back pack and you bring your check book, then we'll talk
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462533
61-67 Delanair Air conditioning Thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457944&highlight=air+conditioning

PUNCTUATION CHANGES THE WORLD: "I need to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" is way better than, "I need to help my uncle jack off a horse"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guteandtite wrote:
RareAir wrote:
guteandtite wrote:
and to think glenn told me i had the wrong mirror and offered me 200.00 to take it off my hands

First of all, you have a 1953-57 mirror in a '58 Beetle. That is incorrect!

The subject of this forum is that the guy has a '57 vert with a 1958-64 mirror.

I don't remember offering you $200 for your mirror, but I did offer $100 just for the visor which you accepted. Then you mentioned your mirror was worth an excess of $1000 alone. Rolling Eyes

BOB WILSONS authenticity series states the oval vert mirror was used from mid 1953 all the way through the end of JUNE 1958, so JULY 58 for 58 model year 1 month only did 58 have the new mirror, it was used 59 and on. my car is early may 58 production. i have confirmed this with chuck as well. 58 also still had the bekelite visors, july 58 and entire 59 model year had grey padded visors with the diamond hatch waffle pattern vinyl, then 60 was white crush vinyl.

a shorty visor going rate is worth 250.00
and a 53 to 58 vert mirror is worth 1600.00 in nice condition.

try in the next 6 months to find either of these for sale on the samba. youll need lots of good luck and the force on your side HA!

Are these the 58/59 Diamond hatch waffle visors?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They came on my Dec 55 Vert - the bar had been modified to accept them. They look to be og, I'm just not sure what for (until I read this thread)

Comments welcome Smile

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no they are not, the " waffle pattern" or diamond pattern visors are mid year 59 to end of 59 ONLY and use the same light grey diamond pattern vinyl as 58/59 door panels. its not really a diamond pattern but rather a bunch of flip flopped triangles. i found a cherry pair at the classic for 10.00, what a steal, should have bought them. but was not by stuff to flip, just stuff i need
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457944&highlight=air+conditioning

PUNCTUATION CHANGES THE WORLD: "I need to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" is way better than, "I need to help my uncle jack off a horse"
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I wonder what these are from then?

Cheers.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guteandtite wrote:

try in the next 6 months to find either of these for sale on the samba. youll need lots of good luck and the force on your side HA!

Found another one Laughing This one is in mint shape and the price is less than half of what you thought they were worth.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=803737
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bally wrote:
guteandtite wrote:
RareAir wrote:
guteandtite wrote:
and to think glenn told me i had the wrong mirror and offered me 200.00 to take it off my hands

First of all, you have a 1953-57 mirror in a '58 Beetle. That is incorrect!

The subject of this forum is that the guy has a '57 vert with a 1958-64 mirror.

I don't remember offering you $200 for your mirror, but I did offer $100 just for the visor which you accepted. Then you mentioned your mirror was worth an excess of $1000 alone. Rolling Eyes

BOB WILSONS authenticity series states the oval vert mirror was used from mid 1953 all the way through the end of JUNE 1958, so JULY 58 for 58 model year 1 month only did 58 have the new mirror, it was used 59 and on. my car is early may 58 production. i have confirmed this with chuck as well. 58 also still had the bekelite visors, july 58 and entire 59 model year had grey padded visors with the diamond hatch waffle pattern vinyl, then 60 was white crush vinyl.

Are these the 58/59 Diamond hatch waffle visors?

They came on my Dec 55 Vert - the bar had been modified to accept them. They look to be og, I'm just not sure what for (until I read this thread)

Comments welcome Smile

Dave

NO these arent the right visors- its the same vinyl as on the door panels -little flip flopped triangles.

type4split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: convert mirror changes Reply with quote

need some help on a convertible mirror. Car is a '57. has a few odd (to me) items.

1st - the rear view mirror. base looks much wider and now adjustment for when top is "down". Is this by chance a left over or a different supplier?

2nd - the exterior door pulls, they are not ice pick? i assume these doors were replaced with 60's doors and i believe ice pick handles went in to the late 50's at least
'50-something convertible (*need ribbed 'vert quarter panel )
'63 "milo" beetle
Part, parts and more parts
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: convert mirror changes Reply with quote

That interior rear view mirror assembly and sunvisors are entirely wrong for an Oval convertible.

If you are talking about the "exterior" door handles, then yes, the correct ones are "icepick" style.

By the way, you have some cool old VWs in that garage!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type4split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: convert mirror changes Reply with quote

Ok. Mirror looked strange. I'll pull off and see if there's a tighter screw pattern behind it. Any idea what year existing mirror is from?
'50-something convertible (*need ribbed 'vert quarter panel )
'63 "milo" beetle
Part, parts and more parts
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: convert mirror changes Reply with quote

type4split wrote:
need some help on a convertible mirror. Car is a '57. has a few odd (to me) items.

1st - the rear view mirror. base looks much wider and now adjustment for when top is "down". Is this by chance a left over or a different supplier?

I believe that mirror is for a Karmann Ghia
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible mirror changes Reply with quote

x2.

Another question: did Volkswagen have a specific outside rear view mirror planned for early convertibles (be it as an option or something, since it was not standard yet)?
Or was the oval convertible never supposed to have any side mirrors according to the Volkswagen factory?
I know that aftermarket mirrors have been added to some of the oval convertibles which was common practice back then, but was just wondering if the Volkswagen factory themselves had recommended any specific type of side mirror (taking in account the "wide" convertible top when folded down, so maybe a mirror arm that sticks out more would be advised for an oval convertible than on an oval sedan version)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: