Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Drum Brakes , comparing type 3 vs type 1
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
I Ride Dirt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Drum Brakes , comparing type 3 vs type 1 Reply with quote

So its 2016, and I am getting ready to upgrade my rear brakes. I was looking at a set of rear disks and have come to the conclusion from by buddies rear disks that they are waaaaaaay heavy.. Rolling Eyes So I was looking into T3. I pull some of a cut up torsion 6 months ago, (I will have to load a couple pictures) and I have to measure them to make sure they are T3. However, when I was looking for T3 drums, Chirco doesn't sell them anymore.. Does anybody know where I could order 2?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Drum Brakes , comparing type 3 vs type 1 Reply with quote

Found these...

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-311-501-615-E

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-311-501-615-F

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Jem5649
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Drum Brakes , comparing type 3 vs type 1 Reply with quote

Hey guys... I just picked up my first Baja and need to fix the brakes in a bad way. I don't have a clue what direction to go. I want to stick to drums, but would type 3 be the way to go?

Anyways, any guidance would be great. I don't quite know where to go with this.

Thanks!

1980 air cooled Westy named Beer... Yes you read that right!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Drum Brakes , comparing type 3 vs type 1 Reply with quote

Jem5649 wrote:
would type 3 be the way to go?

Yes. Check out this thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=372473

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jem5649
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Drum Brakes , comparing type 3 vs type 1 Reply with quote

Cool, thanks! I think I might already on T3s In the back. I'll take measurements once the snow melts tomorrow morning and get back on it.

1980 air cooled Westy named Beer... Yes you read that right!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Drum Brakes , comparing type 3 vs type 1 Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure from that photo I re-posted in your other thread that you have stock 65 Type 1 drums.

Type 3 drums are bigger and stronger and take offroad abuse better. Definitely a good choice for when you upgrade the suspension.

But you shouldn't have the long spline long axles installed that are necessary to fit the T3 drums. 68 Bug or Type 3 swingaxle shafts and outer housings or IRS are required to step up to the T3 drums. Your car almost certainly has short axle/short spline swingaxles typical of a 65 Bug.

Long spline long axles and housings can be installed in your 65 gearbox. It requires taking the trans out of the car for that.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Drum Brakes , comparing type 3 vs type 1 Reply with quote

just as a heads up, i have the EMPI cheapo $250ish disks and 100% recommend the type 3 drum setup. the disks have only marginally better braking, and they are HEAVY, poor quality and replacement parts are a PITA to locate. hell, they aren't even a bolt on affair. it took me several days to get them installed after machining the bearing caps and locating spacers for a kit that was meant for my trailing arms.

so, if you go disks, spend some real money and buy something good, or go type 3 drums
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Drum Brakes , comparing type 3 vs type 1 Reply with quote

parking brakes. all VW parts. the choice of wide 5 or 4 lug. drums stay dry in wet weather. replacement parts.

nottalotta reasons to choose anything else.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Drum Brakes , comparing type 3 vs type 1 Reply with quote

I am getting ready to do this swap to type 3 in the rear. As I a understand, all the bearings and spacers etc are the same as my type 1. Correct,yes?

The backing plate is larger, this must move the location of the brake cylinder slightly. Will my hard line to the brake cylinder still reach?

Thanks
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Drum Brakes , comparing type 3 vs type 1 Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
I am getting ready to do this swap to type 3 in the rear. As I a understand, all the bearings and spacers etc are the same as my type 1. Correct,yes?

The backing plate is larger, this must move the location of the brake cylinder slightly. Will my hard line to the brake cylinder still reach?

Thanks

Correct...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Drum Brakes , comparing type 3 vs type 1 Reply with quote

Any difference in backing plates over the years?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lowlightmafia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Drum Brakes , comparing type 3 vs type 1 Reply with quote

[url]Hi, I’m building a 69 Ghia (track use mostly) and looking into type 3 drums or disc brakes for my rear brakes. Looking to run a 15*6 Fuchs with a 205 or 195 Tire (depending on how much clearance my rear fenders allow, since ghias are all slightly different). I know that this can be done with stock drum brakes and want to know if the rim to drum mounting point for the type 3 drums will be pushed out and push my wheels out? Also is it dangerous for my use to redrill type 3 drums for 5-130 porsche pattern? pretty much the same question but is there a rear disc brake kit out there that doesn’t effect the offset of the rim mounting point.

Check out my build, all knowledge helps, thank you https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608415#8608415
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Drum Brakes , comparing type 3 vs type 1 Reply with quote

Type 3 drums Do move the mounting flange outboard a bit compared to type 1 brakes. I would NOT try to drill a 5x130 pattern in a wide 5 or 4x 112 drum or hub flange plate. You MIGHT be able to use Porsche 914-6 front rotors on rear hub flanges to get the result you are looking for. Or possibly VW bus 5-lug.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: