Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stranded on i75 north near calhoun ga
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skoolieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Stranded on i75 north near calhoun ga Reply with quote

Hey guys I am currently stranded on Interstate 75 North near Exit 326 in Georgia. The points in my distributor broke off and I am in desperate need. Is there anyone close that may be able to spare an extra set of points for me so I can get home. I am all by myself out here and I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks in advance text me or call (423)582-8956
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on i75 north near calhoun ga Reply with quote

Macguyver would snip off a little piece of his leather belt and shove it in where the rubbing block was, then drive off with his mullett flowing in the wind Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on i75 north near calhoun ga Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Macguyver would then drive off with his mullett flowing in the wind Wink

hahaha!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on i75 north near calhoun ga Reply with quote

OMG - stranded without points. In Calhoun GA. Wow. I guess if it were me I'd take a taxi over to O'Reillys at 807 South Wall in Calhoun because online they say they have some in stock in that store. They'd also know other places that might have them in case you have some other year distributor. Buy multiple sets and be sure to lube the rubbing block. worst case is you spend the night there and work on finding parts in the morning or Monday. What an adventure.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on i75 north near calhoun ga Reply with quote

Broke down, Rescue, Help, Road Side, Assistance, Information

Clubs
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/clubs/index.php

Good luck
Tcash
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on i75 north near calhoun ga Reply with quote

Steve,
I'm not broken down or anything but can you tell me the nearest place I can get a good cheeseburger? I'm near 805 and route 52.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skoolieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on i75 north near calhoun ga Reply with quote

Thanks guys I've spoken every auto parts place within 20 miles and no one has the points in stock a gentleman brought me a set of points but it appears I'm not getting any spark whatsoever. Looks like I've got myself a date with the tow truck
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on i75 north near calhoun ga Reply with quote

it is the worst possible time to type this, but, keep an old point set/rotor/cap /condenser in the glove box.
I think keeping them there wards off 99% of the issues.
the used crap, just toss it in there with a Leatherman tool, as back ups.
This tool/glovebox of mine scares my points-ignited bus into running right.
Skoolieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on i75 north near calhoun ga Reply with quote

I hear you. I always do but I guess my wife thought my spare parts took up to much space. Looks like i was right Laughing
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on i75 north near calhoun ga Reply with quote

Good luck skoolieman. Shouldn't be too hard to diagnose a no spark.

Aeromech, if you had kickstarted a burger finder app, you wouldn't be so dependent on Steve.....
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on i75 north near calhoun ga Reply with quote

If you have old used points running a file over the contact surfaces to remove the corrosion might be in order.

These points are very common, you might ask for points for some other application, say a 1974 Beetle and see what they have.

I am going to presume your failed set of points are Bosch. Unfortunately Bosch points aren't worth the cost of the box they come in anymore. Echlin points from NAPA seems to be about the best out there.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on i75 north near calhoun ga Reply with quote

Stupid question. Did you put the Rotor back in?
Tcash
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on i75 north near calhoun ga Reply with quote

I've had lots of points failure with Bosch over the last 8 years, really sad they can't (won't) make a decent basic part.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on i75 north near calhoun ga Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Steve,
I'm not broken down or anything but can you tell me the nearest place I can get a good cheeseburger? I'm near 805 and route 52.

probably In and Out, 4375 Kearny Mesa Rd, San Diego, CA 92111
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on i75 north near calhoun ga Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
I've had lots of points failure with Bosch over the last 8 years, really sad they can't (won't) make a decent basic part.

This is why I am tired of hearing "buy German parts". I had a Bosch rotor fail. WTF? The brass tab broke from the plastic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skoolieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on i75 north near calhoun ga Reply with quote

Yes I put the rotor back in. Turned out it was a combination of the broken points and a weak battery. I put new points in, set dwell, timed it and charged the battery. Drove 60 miles yesterday without a hiccup. Full moon bus club on Facebook is awesome I had 6 ppl call to help within an hour.

I agree about Bosch points. I thought about going pertronix but who knows if that would be any more reliable. Off to the parts store to reup my parts stash
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on i75 north near calhoun ga Reply with quote

Skoolieman wrote:
Yes I put the rotor back in. Turned out it was a combination of the broken points and a weak battery. I put new points in, set dwell, timed it and charged the battery. Drove 60 miles yesterday without a hiccup. Full moon bus club on Facebook is awesome I had 6 ppl call to help within an hour.

I agree about Bosch points. I thought about going pertronix but who knows if that would be any more reliable. Off to the parts store to reup my parts stash

I am on I-79 heading to Washington, DC. I have not yet experienced points failure (at 38 years and still counting). Grease the cam and rubbing block with a good moly grease (I don't trust that old Bosch breaker point grease). Grease keeps side loads on the plastic block to a minimum (and keeps the adjustment longer).
ColinOnTheRoad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on i75 north near calhoun ga Reply with quote

Been running Compufire since sometime in the '90's. No hiccups, no failures, one less maintenance task......Stopped and helped several folks with points problems.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on i75 north near calhoun ga Reply with quote

I can't believe we are still talking about points failures on our vehicles in 2016. You'd think that after all the pissing around with them in the 60s and 70s and 80s and then auto manufacturers going to electronic ignition in the 90s we'd have learned our lesson. For your own sanity, if you're gonna drive an old car 20 feet down the road, ditch the points. Save the time and tow truck bills and drop the $100 on a pertronix or the like and never look back. End rant.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on i75 north near calhoun ga Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:
I can't believe we are still talking about points failures on our vehicles in 2016. You'd think that after all the pissing around with them in the 60s and 70s and 80s and then auto manufacturers going to electronic ignition in the 90s we'd have learned our lesson. For your own sanity, if you're gonna drive an old car 20 feet down the road, ditch the points. Save the time and tow truck bills and drop the $100 on a pertronix or the like and never look back. End rant.

My tows have all involve various forms of electronic ignition, never been stuck anywhere due to a failure of a set of contact points or condenser. I did luck out and catch a set of newish Bosch points before the wear block totally broke off, I couldn't have been more than a handful of miles from failure when I caught it.

I find it interesting that Colin doesn't like the Bosch distributor grease. It is not my favorite either. I have an ancient super large tube of GM grease that I feel is much superior to the Bosch.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: