Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front end shake when braking
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
uniball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Front end shake when braking Reply with quote

On occasion I will get a front end shake only when braking but it really only happens if I am braking above 40mph. Once I lift off the brakes it stops. I've had all drums turned and there is plenty of material left on the shoes as well. Not sure if I should go with a new Master Cylinder or new ball joints. Front end feels ok when just driving around and no death wobble either.
JayC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end shake when braking Reply with quote

One thought would be the steering damper under the gas tank. Not sure if that would tie to braking or not. Might also be worth getting a good front end alignment (made a world of difference in mine).

You only get the wobble when braking? What about at higher speeds?

jay
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end shake when braking Reply with quote

I'd have your front end suspension checked. As mentioned, your steering damper, tie rods and ball joints. Your steering gear may need to be adjusted as well.

The other thing that you need to check is your tire balance. Often times, they are out of balance and will cause a shimmy, especially with worn out suspension items.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uniball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end shake when braking Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely check into the front end. There isn't a shimmy while driving at any speeds and the steering seems ok. I'm gonna replace the master cylinder and see if that resolves the issue and do a full check on the front end.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end shake when braking Reply with quote

Are the brakes adjusted properly? Hardware freed up and functional?

That's an odd one.... Confused
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Front end shake when braking Reply with quote

Mine does the same thing. Seems fine when you first start and gets worse the longer you drive or the more you brake. Bought new drums and it was worse with the china drums. I plan to have the original drums turned and replace the damper.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Front end shake when braking Reply with quote

mine recently started hopping around a bit after hitting a bump.
It doesn't always happen but its scary when it does. All of a sudden it feels like it is jumping up off the pavement some. I will have to jack it up and see what the front end needs...before I jump into a ditch!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end shake when braking Reply with quote

Check both the outer and inner tie rod ends. We had the same problem, and the little bit of slop in the ends caused the problem. Wink
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Front end shake when braking Reply with quote

ALANSD wrote:
mine recently started hopping around a bit after hitting a bump.
It doesn't always happen but its scary when it does. All of a sudden it feels like it is jumping up off the pavement some. I will have to jack it up and see what the front end needs...before I jump into a ditch!

ALAN, YOU NEED A STEERING DAMPER
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Front end shake when braking Reply with quote

thanks I ordered one..looks like an easy fix..
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Front end shake when braking Reply with quote

Got the steering damper this week. Any tips for changing it out?
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Front end shake when braking Reply with quote

Pretty cut and dry... Just two nuts, and swap the cartridge, two nuts back on!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end shake when braking Reply with quote

17 mm socket-jack up the front end and reach over the tire and unbolt the 17mm nut that is holding the dampener on. Next go under the passenger side and unbolt the 17mm bolt that is holding the stabilizer to the front beam and remove. Then reverse-30 mins top.
coonhunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Front end shake when braking Reply with quote

One thing that I try to do is when I order a part, I go out and spray down all the nuts and bolts that hold it together with penetrating oil (kroil or PB Blaster). And then I hit them with it just before I swap the part. I was getting shimmy on mine right at 50mph much more or less and the shimmy would go away. I tightened my steering box and that seemed to fix it. All other steering components seemed tight.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Front end shake when braking Reply with quote

ok sounds easy. Not sure how soon I can get to it, but hopefully really soon.
Thanks guys
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Front end shake when braking Reply with quote

I took off the old damper today, it was shot. I got the new one ready to go in and could not reach to put the end bolt through the hole. My arm is just about 2" too short. Sucks, but I'm waiting for my 6' son to get home to assist.
Frustrating for a shorter dude. ;0

Should be a lot better with the new one installed.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end shake when braking Reply with quote

New damper made a sweet difference in the steering feel. Tighter and no shake, thanks for the helpful advice..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: