Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DRD cranks, any good?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: DRD cranks, any good? Reply with quote

Looking at buying this kit http://www.drdracingheads.com/xcart/DRD-Short-block-kit-69mm-crank-H-beam-rods.html is it okay? Yes or no, i couldnt find any hard info on users that have used their cranks. And it aint cast?
Thanks
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: DRD cranks, any good? Reply with quote

I actually think the crank are made to him.
Are you interested in the kit ?
If yes, why ?

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: DRD cranks, any good? Reply with quote

I'd suggest to buy from air-cooled.net. John has quite a selection and he always stand behind the products he sells.

As to DRD, you can always read the DRD buyers' feedback page.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: DRD cranks, any good? Reply with quote

they arent real good at questions or trying to get work done like you want it.I got my 86mm crank from them,I doubt it's balanced right they would not answer any questions as to how they would do it and would that do it the way I wanted it done,(with flywheel witch I also got there then, and the keys installed with a gear(slip fit gear so no press or puller required)and I got zero responce....I would of even sent them a slip fit gear to keep.wish i had waited & got it from cb perf. but I was in a hurry......there was an empty spot on my shelf Shocked
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: DRD cranks, any good? Reply with quote

Im looking at it because it looks like btb for me. I may buy everything from acn then a dpr crank. Cheaper freight to norway
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: DRD cranks, any good? Reply with quote

DRD sells the same Chinese forged cranks that everybody else sells.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: DRD cranks, any good? Reply with quote

I would use a china crank over a welded crank any day. I have yet to axchuly have a welded crank in my hands that was right. I have a "new unused" welded 78.4 on the shelf that isant right.Ive had to rework costomers welded cranks that were not right. I see zero upside to the welded cranks now days.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: DRD cranks, any good? Reply with quote

Mark please, by "right" what exactly do you mean? It'd help if we could keep an eye out for what you're finding. DPR cranks and DMS have excellent reputations. Is there an issue with theirs as well?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: DRD cranks, any good? Reply with quote

DPR used to have some runout problems but LONG ago, very long ago.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: DRD cranks, any good? Reply with quote

buy your crank from DPR, better steel on the OEM cranks.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: DRD cranks, any good? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
so they use better oem steel than the oem steel vw used Shocked sweet.
Ive seen oil holes almost totaly welded up, gear runout over .002" . thrust serface at a 3 degree angle or more,burs hanging off and more.
as far as right. the flywheel should be balanced than put on the crank that has been balanced with keys installed&slip fit gear. how much do the keys weigh? how much material is missing from the key slots.......and missing from the gear key slots too so.. Wink .Ive balanced well over a thousand assys. yes it makes a differance. but I reckon it's just a vw so... thattell do pig.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: DRD cranks, any good? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
Lingwendil wrote:
so they use better oem steel than the oem steel vw used Shocked sweet.
Ive seen oil holes almost totaly welded up, gear runout over .002" . thrust serface at a 3 degree angle or more,burs hanging off and more.
as far as right. the flywheel should be balanced than put on the crank that has been balanced with keys installed&slip fit gear. how much do the keys weigh? how much material is missing from the key slots.......and missing from the gear key slots too so.. Wink .Ive balanced well over a thousand assys. yes it makes a differance. but I reckon it's just a vw so... thattell do pig.

better than the "hecho en china" 4340 cranks everyone sells.

i bought a 69 DRD CW a couple years back, and it came in covered in surface rust (heavy rust, not just easy polish, crusty and pitted) on all the journals and body, and was basically told to eff off.

"we cant control what happens after we ship"

mhmmm. looked like it was that way when they got it, unopened packaging, wouldnt refund.

and thats all im saying on that matter.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: DRD cranks, any good? Reply with quote

Hmmm. Looks like splitted meanings. Should i go drd or this? http://vwparts.aircooled.net/mobile/Product.aspx?id=38606
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: