Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 Fastback restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dad23boys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Clementine is still running good at least when she’s warmed up. But it is still running rich when it’s cold. I’m still trying to figure out what to use on the trunk and on top of the engine lid. The video will explain better what I’m talking about.

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PIMPPRIDE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool build thread, I hope the kids are happy and learn allot from it...

with that said, I am surprised, or more shocked to read some of the things incorrectly written over on the type3.org about the parts supplied from us, it looks like you figured out the window rubber, but the majority of my concern is the incorrect information on the rear apron...

At the time you placed the order, you were told that all we had in stock was a squareback good used apron, the difference was explained to you in full, at that time you had the option to change bottom only of the apron on the car or if using this squareback apron you were to graph the latch section on from the old apron onto this one...

We explained the difference to you, you accepted it, this was also all noted on the invoice that the apron is for a squareback, It is not right for you to go online and put these oversights on your part onto us...

With that said, all the best on finishing up the project fastback

Anthony / ISP WEST
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dad23boys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PIMPPRIDE wrote:

with that said, I am surprised, or more shocked to read some of the things incorrectly written over on the type3.org about the parts supplied from us, it looks like you figured out the window rubber, but the majority of my concern is the incorrect information on the rear apron...

At the time you placed the order, you were told that all we had in stock was a squareback good used apron, the difference was explained to you in full, at that time you had the option to change bottom only of the apron on the car or if using this squareback apron you were to graph the latch section on from the old apron onto this one...

We explained the difference to you, you accepted it, this was also all noted on the invoice that the apron is for a squareback, It is not right for you to go online and put these oversights on your part onto us...

Anthony / ISP WEST

Well I'll have to agree to disagree with you on that. I do recall that it said we would have to add the tube for the latch but not we would have to change where the latch mounts because the holes were a 1/2" closer together. Now I have tried to be nice with you guys about this and a few other things we have had some issues with you guys have sold our school. I don't want to go down this road with you guys. We got the problems worked out our self's thanks to the other good instructors and students we have at our school and that I have the pleasure to work with. We will get this latch issue fixed as well. This may of been ms-communication on this. I just wanted to pointed out to others if they put one of your aprons one there fastback to make sure they look at this before they make the mistake we made. On a positive note most of the parts we got from you guys we were very pleased with. Not trying to start a fight here just giving our perspective on this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dad23boys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dad23boys wrote:
PIMPPRIDE wrote:

Anthony / ISP WEST

Well I'll have to agree to disagree with you on that. I do recall that it said we would have to add the tube for the latch but not we would have to change where the latch mounts because the holes were a 1/2" closer together. Now I have tried to be nice with you guys about this and a few other things we have had some issues with you guys have sold our school. I don't want to go down this road with you guys. We got the problems worked out our self's thanks to the other good instructors and students we have at our school and that I have the pleasure to work with. We will get this latch issue fixed as well. This may of been ms-communication on this. I just wanted to pointed out to others if they put one of your aprons one there fastback to make sure they look at this before they make the mistake we made. On a positive note most of the parts we got from you guys we were very pleased with. Not trying to start a fight here just giving our perspective on this.
I went back and looked at the invoice we got back in January when the rear apron was delivered to make sure there was any reference about having to change the place where the latch mounts up. I found out I was wrong when I said yesterday that we were told to mount the cable tube for the latch. I was wrong on that. The only thing on the invoice was name of part, price and part number. If there was anything sent to us when we first got the apron about modifications we never got it. I was emailed this info last month after I emailed them first and told them about this. All my reply on this subject was it would of been nice to of know this before I had our body class installed this and painted it. I'm not very happy about a business who we have bought a good bit of parts from go on line and say I am deceiving people on line when all I did was give my opinion and as far as I know is the truth on the subject. If this the way they treat their customers I'm not sure I can recommend them to any else. Sorry if that makes me a bad guy to the ones involved.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that rear area you could use abs sheet like i did
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's durable, formable, comes in 4x8 sheets and it was only about 60 bucks a sheet from my local plastic supplier. I had a sheet of black and white that i used for all the interior panels instead of using masonite or plywood as a base.

Insulation i used was from lobucrod.com, inexpensive, light, and works well.

If i did it again, black would be my choice because mine always ends up with dirty handprints Wink

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
dad23boys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
For that rear area you could use abs sheet like i did

It's durable, formable, comes in 4x8 sheets and it was only about 60 bucks a sheet from my local plastic supplier. I had a sheet of black and white that i used for all the interior panels instead of using masonite or plywood as a base.

Insulation i used was from lobucrod.com, inexpensive, light, and works well.

If i did it again, black would be my choice because mine always ends up with dirty handprints Wink
Wow! that looks Great!
dad23boys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a new up date for the new year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Bji-dJSoY[youtube][/youtube]
Mark Shutt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coming on great! paintwork looks very nice Cool those vents in the rear fenders are a real PITA to rub down and prep Mad

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6007222#6007222
dad23boys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Shutt wrote:
coming on great! paintwork looks very nice Cool those vents in the rear fenders are a real PITA to rub down and prep Mad

Yes but that's not my class Very Happy I'm sure the kids in the body class will have fun with it.
dad23boys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't done a video update since New Year's day. I talked about the mechanical progress and issue we have had as far as the rich fuel (still haven't solved that one)in my last post. The Video covers the good bad and ugly on the cosmetics work.

Link
dad23boys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got the chance to buy her back from the school and we have tag and insurance on her so yesterday we took her for a spin.
Link
vlad01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice! sounds good.

is you steering slightly off center?
dad23boys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlad01 wrote:
nice! sounds good.

is you steering slightly off center?

Yes it is. Just one of the many little things I've got to do to it. Just happy I have it road worthy again after the shape it was in and considering this is the first time she has seen a public road since 1989.
dad23boys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local media in our home town done a quick story on our adventures with Clementine (my Fastback).

Link
dad23boys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not done an update to the video log since I started driving Clementine and have had some people ask to do one so here it is. Sorry I kind of ramble in this one had a few brain farts.

Link
dad23boys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A local newspaper wrote up a story on my class doing the fastback. They done a good job but got the date wrong when my mom pasted away. It was in 01 not 91.

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1191222.jpg[/img
dad23boys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would show a few things we have done to Clementine here lately.

Link
FastbackFynn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Fastback restoration Reply with quote

Dude!! This is awesome and i aspire to have my '72 fastback in this condition some day! I am just starting my restoration project on my fastback:
http://www.vwtype3and4club.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11517
This thread and your group of YouTube videos will be an awesome help whilst i proceed with my project - i too aim to have my fastback as my first car also; i love it! If this forum is still active will i be able to come to you to ask any questions if you don't mind?
Thanks
Fynn
dad23boys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Fastback restoration Reply with quote

FastbackFynn wrote:
Dude!! This is awesome and i aspire to have my '72 fastback in this condition some day! I am just starting my restoration project on my fastback:
http://www.vwtype3and4club.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11517
This thread and your group of YouTube videos will be an awesome help whilst i proceed with my project - i too aim to have my fastback as my first car also; i love it! If this forum is still active will i be able to come to you to ask any questions if you don't mind?
Thanks
Fynn

Thank you. Looks like you have a good one to start out with. I'm planning on putting a strip like yours has at the bottom some day. Feel free to contact me anytime. I also go on the USA version of the type 3 and 4 club on type3.org often. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: