Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear end damage repair
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
benchracer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Rear end damage repair Reply with quote

In the process of fixing some damage to a 73 bug before paint. Straight car except at some point it got hit in the left rear. I was able to get a good pull on it and hammer and dolly a substantial amount of the damage straight. Somebody before me used a slide hammer and probably made it worse. Unfortunately the left corner of the car is still 3/4 inch low. What is the proper way to repair this an bring the corner up? I have a few pics and ill go take a few more......Steve
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: rear end damage repair Reply with quote

The best way to fix that correctly is to have the bug on a frame rack. I'd want the engine out of the way as well. A frame rack will allow them to pull it the correct way and they would probably use some heat as well while it had tension on the pull.

There's a lot of panels that intersect where that's wadded up. A talented frame guy could get it pretty close to spec though it probably wouldn't look perfect.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
benchracer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: rear end damage repair Reply with quote

Definitely gonna pull the motor. Explains why the motor was a pita to install a few years back. Lol.... steve
benchracer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: rear end damage repair Reply with quote

I was giving some consideration to making a relief cut, positioning the apron and welding a new piece of metal aft of the firewall and forward of the bumper mount. Has anybody had any luck doing that?....steve
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: rear end damage repair Reply with quote

I wouldn't do that. At a minimum, that wadded up quarter panel and inner structure needs to be pulled back the correct length. Then, depending on how it comes back out, you'd assess the inner structure and hammer and dolly it back to shape. Then, some may cut the outer skin off to access further into the inner structure. Again, hammer and dolly work and then install a new outer quarter panel skin.

The only other way would be to cut out that entire side of the bug and weld in a good used section. You'd have to start the cut in front of the damaged area.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: rear end damage repair Reply with quote

I had a slight crunch in my rear passenger side. Not as bad as yours (thank God!) but there was a lot of affected areas that needed to be addressed:

1. Rear luggage tray area
2. Firewall
3. Side engine surround tin (the little shelves on the side in the engine compartment)
4. Rear apron
5. Quarter panel

It was a real PITA to get everything straight. Lots of measuring. Lots of comparing sides. Lots of hammering and pulling. Lots of bad words. For me, the biggest challenge was where the apron meets the quarter panel. The inner skin of the apron was tricky. Once you get it together tack weld it and then install the deck lid and fenders to test for proper fitment and gaps.

Also, install the bumper brackets and even the bumper and overriders. When I did mine the first time, the bumper was lower on the passenger side by 3/4" and I couldn't get the overrider on (holes didn't line up).

Steve, I would recommend replacing the damaged quarter panel with a good donor as Bill suggested. Good luck and I hope this helps.
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: rear end damage repair Reply with quote

do it the redneck way......take the weight of the car on the rear valance with a trolley jack. Add some weight to the rear seat area of the car. With a gas/oxy acetylene bottle set up, warm the creases and the surrounding area and watch as they come out. Use a hammer and dolly to dress the creases flat,,once its done and creases are dressed out remove the jack and allow to cool, it wont look pretty but will bring it back into line.
Alternatively bolt an old bumper bracket onto the mounting. Use a port a power with a 90 degree upright pushing end through the bumper mount and push directly off a strong point under the arch of the car, the heater channel end or the torsion bar end,use heat to help it along...

cant beat shade tree repairs if funds are tight
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: rear end damage repair Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
The only other way would be to cut out that entire side of the bug and weld in a good used section. You'd have to start the cut in front of the damaged area.

I also had a slight crunch in my rear passenger side.

I cut the entire section out and grafted in a replacement piece out of another car. Yours would be even easier as you'd only need a piece from the rear luggage tray back. It would probably give you the best result for the money spent and effort expended. You could use the rear fender mounting holes and engine deck lid as alignment tools to get the replacement piece fitted correctly.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
benchracer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: rear end damage repair Reply with quote

i made a bracket to fit the bumper mount and used my porta power to push back. actually got alot of the damage out. i am dealing with some springback. i need to get just a bit more aft (about 1/2 inch) and up about 1/4 inch. maybe a bit more. I think I may need to use a bit of heat and some hammer and dolly to straighten it out a bit more. Thanx guys for all the input

benchracer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: rear end damage repair Reply with quote

i gave thought to grafting in a new piece but opted for straightening.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: rear end damage repair Reply with quote

benchracer1 wrote:
i gave thought to grafting in a new piece but opted for straightening.

That actually came out pretty good! You'll have to throw a weld onto the area on the bottom by the top of the shock mount where the metal tore. I'd imagine if you put some heat to it while it's under load, with some hammer and dolly work, that would take care of the springback.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
benchracer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: rear end damage repair Reply with quote

after grinding skads of filler out of the left rear fender i determined it was to far gone. i had a fender off a 74 bug but it had the 5mph bumper mounts. i made patches and filled the holes. I think I have a bit of distortion to deal with but a hell of alot better than what we had. I want to push the apron back a bit more and weld up the cracks and tears but at least the bumper is level. when i started the left side was about an inch low....Steve

marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: rear end damage repair Reply with quote

when you are pushing a rear 1/4 or any panel out like that you will get to a point where you will hear a sharp crack, like a gun firing, at that point, stop pushing, there will be slight fallback of the stretched panel but use a hammer and dolly to dress out the creases before you release the pressure on the porta power. Well done
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
benchracer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rear end damage repair Reply with quote

Definitely got the pop. I probably am going to put the Porta power back up there and weld up a,couple cracks and heat and straighten a couple creases. Thank you for the compliment. ...steve
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear end damage repair Reply with quote

benchracer1 wrote:
Definitely got the pop. I probably am going to put the Porta power back up there and weld up a,couple cracks and heat and straighten a couple creases. Thank you for the compliment. ...steve

you did well, glad to have helped
benchracer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear end damage repair Reply with quote

Got the quarter panel fairly well straightened. I found the apron to be full of filler and someone had used a torch and slidehammer to pull the dent. Terrible work. I ended up having to cut a piece from a donor car and welded it in. Not perfect but way better. I did end up with about a 3/16 to 1/4 in dip on the weld above the tailpipe. I am trying to figure if I should be doing some off dolly work or possibly taking a rubber mallet and and a block of wood and trying to straighten it from behind. Im relatively new to welding body panels so I thought Id ask you body gurus how best to procede.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: