Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributer check
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Distributer check Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure mine is screwed up even though the engine runs great. This morning was time to check the valves and gearbox oil level and things like that best done cold. I was going to take a drive and then change the oil but it decided to dump rain so I started poking around in the garage.

This is a stock 36 horse Bug engine. A popped a timing light on and found it idling at around 25 degrees BTDC (about 42mm left of the case split.) I thought perhaps the vacuum advance was allowed to go in at idle (is that port below the throttle blade at idle?) so I played with the revs a little bit. The timing didn't want to move, perhaps a few extra degrees at 3500 rpm no load. If I flicked the throttle from a slow idle I could see the timing retard briefly about half way back to where it should be. I shut the car down and pulled the cap to do the old test light timing check and that is when I found a dead zone of about 10 degrees of rotor rotation as I rocked the engine back and forth. That pretty much makes static timing impossible (and I'm surprised the timing didn't fluctuate when using the light.) I can turn the rotor about 4mm at the tip back and forth with no spring force trying to return it, it looks like the centrifugal advance is dead.

Am I missing anything here? It looks like I should source a rebuilt distributer (and while the that is being taken care of a bushed and rebuilt carb too.) It just seems weird that it runs so nicely like this.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributer check Reply with quote

Looks like broken springs.

Sounds like it needs to be rebuilt or replaced. I can help, PM me if you want details.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: