Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas Smell in '71 Westfalia
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
22manybugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Gas Smell in '71 Westfalia Reply with quote

I've searched for this but can't find a post on replacing fuel filler line and fuel vent lines on a '71 bus. The postings I have seen I think are for later buses because they talk about a "paintcan" access lid that I don't see in the '71.

I just bought the bus, noticed the fuel smell after driving it awhile. I've had similar gas smell issues in Bugs and Ghias that have been fixed by replacing rotted filler lines or vent lines, I assume this is the same issue.

Can somebody point to a post that shows photos where the lines are located? Can you get to the lines without removing the engine?

Thank you.

1969 Karmann Ghia convertible
1971 Westfalia camper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell in '71 Westfalia Reply with quote

It is the bottom tank.
thanks to jerseylooker
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1971 EVAP System

Firewall screws

Good luck
Tcash
22manybugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell in '71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Thank you, that helps.

It looks like all the pictures are with the engine out. Can the rubber parts (filler hose and vent line connections) be replaced without removing the engine?

1971 Westfalia camper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cutter57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell in '71 Westfalia Reply with quote

There are other possible sources. Recently, I accessed my gas tank (75 bus with a type 1 motor) to change the fuel filler tube, after already changing the inlet tube you stick the gas nozzle into. And, yes, I had to take my motor out.

I decided to clean my tank and, while doing so, I discovered a small, pin-hole sized leak in a rusty corner. I ended up buying a new tank, as well as replacing my rubber filler lines and rubber connectors between the vent lines. I still have the motor out as I am taking care of other issues as well, but I will post again once I see if my work results in a fumeless ride.

I guess what I'm saying is that you may also want to check your tank thoroughly. I would not have found that leak if I had not tried to clean the gunk out of it with muriatic acid. I also now realize that the peeling of the paint inside the fuel tank compartment should have been another clue to the seriousness of the problem. I had bare metal in the side the leak was on.

And don't forget about the fuel gauge sender unit's O-ring or seal. It can also be a source.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell in '71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Indeed inspecting the tank is a good idea at any rate.

Story: I removed the tank from my '75 single cab, for general fuel system service and to clean up and paint that whole area under the pickup bed.

I spent a lot of time cleaning all the grudge off my tank, and it still have a nice black paint finish left, with a couple of rusty patches on the bottom. I started prepping it for paint with some POR-15 Degreaser, really getting into the rusty patches, and... there it was... a pinhole. I don't think it had been leaking yet, and opened up as I got aggressive with the rust cleaning, but I am glad I saw it. After a brief flirtation with the idea of welding a patch onto the tank, I decided to replace the tank with a spare FI tank I had. (Bonus: If I ever switch over to FI, this is one less part to have to find.)

Moral of the story: Remove your tank and inspect it well. Give it a few good pokes in any areas that are rusty, and take a look inside for issues.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell in '71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Yes you must remove the engine to access the tank in a 71 bus. Luckily it's not that hard.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
22manybugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell in '71 Westfalia Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Yes you must remove the engine to access the tank in a 71 bus. Luckily it's not that hard.

I thought so, I just didn't want to have to pull the engine right off the bat.

1971 Westfalia camper
peteandvanessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell in '71 Westfalia Reply with quote

The areas you need to check (after removing the engine and firewall) are:

1. The center rubber line in the middle of the Gas Tank

2. The right rubber line to the right of the Gas Tank

3. The fuel filler hose to the right of the Gas Tank

4. See the right rubber line to the right of the Gas Tank, that connects to a hardline that comes back into the Engine compartment, which then connects to the Charcoal Filter (if you have one fitted). So you need to connect a rubber line between the firewall and to the Charcoal Filter (far top right on the firewall).

I'll post some pics in my thread referenced above, it just so happens I'm working in that area on my Son's 71 Baywindow this week and reconnecting the Charcoal filter and vent lines.

5. There's also a drain hole under the fuel filler flap which drains any spilt Gas out onto the ground, make sure that this isn't blocked.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568220&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

My Son's 1971 Bay Window Westie Build Thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7295189#7295189
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell in '71 Westfalia Reply with quote

peteandvanessa wrote:
The areas you need to check (after removing the engine and firewall) are:

1. The center rubber line in the middle of the Gas Tank

2. The right rubber line to the right of the Gas Tank

3. The fuel filler hose to the right of the Gas Tank

4. See the right rubber line to the right of the Gas Tank, that connects to a hardline that comes back into the Engine compartment, which then connects to the Charcoal Filter (if you have one fitted). So you need to connect a rubber line between the firewall and to the Charcoal Filter (far top right on the firewall).

5. There's also a drain hole under the fuel filler flap which drains any spilt Gas out onto the ground, make sure that this isn't blocked.

I'll post some pics in my thread referenced above, it just so happens I'm working in that area on my Son's 71 Baywindow this week and reconnecting the Charcoal filter and vent lines.

And... the rubber gasket on the fuel sending unit on top of the tank.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**

Last edited by wcfvw69 on Wed May 18, 2016 9:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
peteandvanessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell in '71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Here's a couple of pics of my Son's 71 Baywindow engine bay. I've just started to fit the charcoal filter that was missing:

In this pic you can see the gas tank vent line (top right), on my Sons Bus, if you fill the tank on a hot day, it will drip fuel out of the solid pipe coming through the firewall. Not a huge amount, but enough to make me nervous (we had a devastating fire in the Bus a while back.

You can also see the solid pipe that comes from the fuel filler area (left of center) and out the bottom of the engine compartment.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568220&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

My Son's 1971 Bay Window Westie Build Thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7295189#7295189
22manybugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell in '71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional information and pics. Every little bit helps at this point.
Ugh! Guess I'll be pulling the engine this weekend. I'm sure that will reveal more issues to be worked on! d'oh!

1971 Westfalia camper
22manybugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell in '71 Westfalia Reply with quote

I struggled a bit removing the cover over the fuel tank (firewall?). The 12 screws around the side are easy to see. The 4 screws underneath are not obvious. I don't remember seeing information about those screws, I may have just missed it, if anybody else has to get to the gas tank on an early bay, look for the four screws from underneath.

The gas tank looks brand new. That doesn't necessarily mean it's good on the inside, but I'll leave that be and start with the obvious problem I found. This vent line was disconnected.

I replaced all the rubber lines, and it's ready to go back together.

1971 Westfalia camper
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: