Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need some advice from experts--my Ghia won't start.
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: I need some advice from experts--my Ghia won't start. Reply with quote

Warmed up my 74 Ghia yesterday and changed the oil and the plastic fuel filter. Then I put a dab of oil in the distributor under the rotor, gently sanded the points and the contact points in the distributor cap. Put it back together and now I can't start the motor. My battery is good and strong and the fuel is flowing through the filter. When I try to start the engine, the motor turns over fine, but will not fire. I poured a bit gasoline in the carb, but still won't start or fire--just cranks.

So I am wondering if my coil (old) is bad or the condenser. I am not sure how to test the coil. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

74 Ghia Cabriolet (bought it in 74 new)
63 356 B Coupe
2005 BMW 325i
2008 BMW 328 convertible
2007 Dodge Ram Hemi
2005 Honda Odyssey
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: I need some advice from experts--my Ghia won't start. Reply with quote

Did you remember to put the rotor back in?
Pat KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: I need some advice from experts--my Ghia won't start. Reply with quote

Yes I did remember to put the rotor in, but still no fire! My coil must be pretty old and the condenser too. How do you test them? I also did the same tasks on my Porsche 356B and she fires up just fine.

74 Ghia Cabriolet (bought it in 74 new)
63 356 B Coupe
2005 BMW 325i
2008 BMW 328 convertible
2007 Dodge Ram Hemi
2005 Honda Odyssey
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I need some advice from experts--my Ghia won't start. Reply with quote

Pull the coil wire out of your distributor, stick a screwdriver in the end of the coil wire and place the screwdriver so the shaft is about a quarter inch from grounded metal anywhere on top of your engine. Crank the engine. If your ignition is working you will see a timed set of sparks between the screwdriver and the metal. Wink
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I need some advice from experts--my Ghia won't start. Reply with quote

Usually just lifting the center distributor wire a 1/8'' above its hole is enough to determine a spark, while hand cranking the engine.

Things to check:
Re-check your points gap. You might not of tightened them correctly and they slid closed. This would also cause no spark.

Check the connection between points and condenser . Also the wires to the coil, one could have been disconnected accidentally.

One WTF oddball I have seen happen, the carbon pin inside the distributor cap popped out unbeknownst to me, rendering it useless.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I need some advice from experts--my Ghia won't start. Reply with quote

If the points need "sanding" they are shot. Buy new points, cond., rotor and cap, it doesn't cost that much and your motor will be much happier. If your coil worked that morning it and the condenser are fine. Hopefully you don't have carbon core sparkplug wires as any tugging on them will kill them.
carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: I need some advice from experts--my Ghia won't start. Reply with quote

SoCalJes wrote:
Pull the coil wire out of your distributor, stick a screwdriver in the end of the coil wire and place the screwdriver so the shaft is about a quarter inch from grounded metal anywhere on top of your engine. Crank the engine. If your ignition is working you will see a timed set of sparks between the screwdriver and the metal. Wink

I used to take a plug out and rest it on the crankcase with the HT lead attached, that way you can see the spark jump across the plugn gap as long as it's earthed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: