Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 69 Squareback engine rebuild & upgrade questions.
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
erikhaha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: My 69 Squareback engine rebuild & upgrade questions. Reply with quote

Finally got around to pulling the motor out of square this past weekend. Pretty damn easy.

First I'd like to thank Tram and I think Bob Notch for their suggestions as to pulling the motor & tranny as a unit rather then separate.

The tranny is automatic and the engine is carburated and there are a few upgrades that I would like to make but I am not 100% sure about.

I am getting the block bored out to 1776cc for a little added power, but not trying to turn it into a hot rod. With that being said I would like to get your collective 2 cents worth as to what mods would be worth making.

Electronic ignition?
Larger oil sump?
External oil filter?

Also, I was wondering if the added HP would be too much for the stock tranny.

I have attached a few pics of the engine behind the car.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 Squareback engine rebuild & upgrade questions. Reply with quote

Nice looking square. Keep posting pictures!

erikhaha wrote:
Electronic ignition?

Some swear by it. Some swear at it if it fails. Points have required maintenance, but are cheap and easy to diagnose, and are handy on a trip if something goes south.

erikhaha wrote:
Larger oil sump?

Probably not needed, and risky on a lowered car.

erikhaha wrote:
External oil filter?

Worthwhile. Check into the mod by Brother's Machining (search here). On an IRS car, it's a great approach and they do good work.

erikhaha wrote:
Also, I was wondering if the added HP would be too much for the stock tranny.

Not a problem. But replace seals (search on this, too) before you waste a lot of effort on the rest, and then find it's got internal leaks (that can quickly ruin it).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: