Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 running issues
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrawDigger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: 67 running issues Reply with quote

My bug idles fine while not driving but dies when driving. I did install a new gas filter. I also dismantled the top half of the fuel pump and it seams in good order, although the fuel filter seams to have very little fuel in it. I can't seem to figure this issue out. Any ideas as to what may be the issue and where I should look next?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 running issues Reply with quote

Not enough information.
What engine?
What Dist.?
What carb.?
Single or dual port?
The filter never fills all the way full with gas. Don't let it worry ya.
Post some pics of the carb and dist..
Did you check that the fuel cutoff solenoid is functioning? With the key in the on position remove the black wire to the solenoid on the left side of the carb. If it is working, you will hear an audible click.
Check it out and let us know whats up.
Goo Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 running issues Reply with quote

I'm CrawDiggers Son.
He is new to web forums so I'll try to help.

As far as we know it, his engine is stock.

He has a vacuum advanced dizzy, I believe a 30 Pict 1 carb and using points and condenser.

He should have a 1600cc engine. He should be able to get more information tomorrow, as well as send me pictures to post here.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 running issues Reply with quote

This was not meant to be an attack. We just need more info like what you have provided.
Has he tried to clean the carb.? Some times the jets get clogged with little bits of debris and will make the engine behave like he has described. Make sure that all of the jets get blown out with compressed air.
Tell your Dad that I said welcome to the samba.
We'll wait for the pics, they help a bunch.
Have a good night.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 running issues Reply with quote

I know it wasn't. Wink
joeyk803c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 running issues Reply with quote

When does it die? As the car slows down to a stop, or after trying to take off? In order to help, we need to know when/how.
CrawDigger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 running issues Reply with quote

Believe me I'm taking nothing as an attack.
When I get home tomorrow I will get pictures of the suggested parts and try the suggestions. I will also recall when the issue happens.
I am by far the worst at diagnosing problems... I can tear it apart and put it back to get very well.
I thank you all for the help.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 running issues Reply with quote

CrawDigger wrote:
Believe me I'm taking nothing as an attack.
When I get home tomorrow I will get pictures of the suggested parts and try the suggestions. I will also recall when the issue happens.
I am by far the worst at diagnosing problems... I can tear it apart and put it back to get very well.
I thank you all for the help.

Eh Crawdigger, we all had to start somewhere. I spent at least 5 months reading the samba before I posted the first question. I was away from my car and so there was no urgency to ask questions. Once I was next to the car the questions flooded forward and I was glad that I had this fantastic resource for support and guidance when it was warranted.
Your issue is not the first of it's kind here, we are more than willing to lend a hand. You'll be on the road in no time.
If you don't have the following books yet, I suggest that you buy them and read them. John Muir's "How to Keep your VW alive" This is by far the best book for the beginner VW owner with limited skills. This one book goes as far as to instruct the reader what direction to turn a bolt to loosen or tighten it. That's no BS. The next book is quite a bit more technical. A Bentley "Service Manual" for 1966 to 1969 years. It's the blue book. I got mine from Amazon for somewhere near $28 usd.
There are Haynes manuals that are good for reference as well. Chiltons manuals are about the same quality as the Haynes one.
Get the John Muir book first. It's great for the first time VW mechanic.
Good Luck sir. I hope to see you and your son at the Seattle VW (Pacific Raceway) show this summer.
Have a great day.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 running issues Reply with quote

CrawDigger wrote:
My bug idles fine while not driving but dies when driving. I did install a new gas filter. I also dismantled the top half of the fuel pump and it seams in good order, although the fuel filter seams to have very little fuel in it. I can't seem to figure this issue out. Any ideas as to what may be the issue and where I should look next?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

To add to what Rust has asked/suggested.

Clarity is needed with it dies when driving. Does this mean under acceleration, it suddenly dies? Or, when slowing down and coming to a stop, it won't hold an idle?

What kind of fuel pump did you take the top off of? Is it an original square top Pierburg fuel pump?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CrawDigger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 67 running issues Reply with quote

Joeys.
Yes, my car has died a couple of times as I was slowing down and coming to a stop.
I have sent pictures to 2t2-crash he will post them soon.
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 running issues Reply with quote

Pics of the Carb and such:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: 67 running issues Reply with quote

I advised he pull the carb and give it a good cleaning, any other advise/ideas from you guys?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 67 running issues Reply with quote

2T2-Crash wrote:
I advised he pull the carb and give it a good cleaning, any other advise/ideas from you guys?

Any updates on this issue? What is the condition of the points and condenser and the like? I have a 1500 that was giving me fits. It would start and run under the choke. When I opened the throttle it would die. It turned out to be the point to condenser wire saw not completely attached to the condenser. This was the same dist. as crawdigger has on his car. It takes two minutes to verify.
Good Luck.

CrawDigger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 running issues Reply with quote

67rusty.
Yeah...
I did check the coil for a loose connection. Yes one was loose so I crimped it tighter, cleaned the post and reconnected it.
I took the carb off, took it apart and cleaned it, nothing out of the norm with it so reassembled it and installed. Fired right up.
Took it for a drive and it didn't die on me.
Now I have a hesitation issue with when I step into the gas peddle while driving.
Points are clean (had some carbon build up but not anymore). Plugs are good.
See the thing is when it's ideling in the driveway and I manually work the thraughtle (at the engine) it picks up RPM's right away, when I do it from the gas peddle it hesitates. Kinda confused.
Whatcha think could be that issue?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 running issues Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause It's those little victories that keep us going. Glad you no longer have the dying issue while driving.
Now it's time to get the timing light out and check where your at.
With the engine warmed up. Disconnect the vac line from the dist and plug it with a golf "T." Get your trusty 10mm socket on a long extension and connect the timing light to the #1 spark plug wire. Red timing light clamp can go to the + side of the generator and ground can be attached to a body part that is not painted. I just attach the ground to a engine tin screw head and call it good. Start the engine and see where your timing is at idle. With a stock crank pulley at 7.5* BTDC you will see the two small notches on the back side if the pulley. The one on the right is 7.5* and the one on the left is 10*. If the timing is anything other than 7.5* loosen the clamp at the bottom of the dist and give it a little twist while watching the pulley notches move. You want the 7.5* notch right on the split in the case.
Do that and report back on what you have.
Good Luck.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 running issues Reply with quote

Hesitation when pressing the throttle is often timing or a faulty accel pump. Sounds like you are checking the ignition and advance, so I'll talk a bit about the accel pump. There are a couple of subtleties when putting it back together.

First, loosen the four screws holding the accel pump cover on; don't remove them or loosen them so much the diaphragm can wrinkle, but enough to let it move freely a bit. Then press the throttle fully open and hold it there. Now retighten the four screws. What you are doing is relieving any tension on the diaphragm, so you get a full vacuum/pump action out of it, and you won't crack it from over stretching.

Second, remove the air cleaner (engine off), and floor it. Watch where the accel pump squirt goes. It should be aimed right in the opening gap of the throttle plate to the carb throat. It should neither hit the carb throat wall, nor the plate, but instead go right between them. This gives the best atomization and response from the added gas. Tap the tube in well so it won't come loose.
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: 67 running issues Reply with quote

Through the power of face time and the iPhone I walked him through timing the engine, it was definitely off but is correct now, set at 7.5 BTDC. It runs a bit rough but he is adjusting the carb to try and fix it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: