Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new to me 69 or 72 bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: new to me 69 or 72 bug Reply with quote

After being told that the rust in my 66 is irreparable,

I've moved on to something else.
Something new but familiar

Something slightly different.

An autostick bug, but an early autostick.

Was told it was a 72, but it looks like a 69 to me.

Was also told original color was white. PO before the PO bastardized the car so much it is impossible to tell.

He also put in a boat dashboard for the center console instead of fixing the dash. That's right, horn button, ignition all got moved to that thing.

But, the autostick seems to be in good shape. So far, it hasn't leaked any oil that I could see.

It seems to have almost no power compared to my earlier 66 beetle. Is that normal? I had a 74 autostick before, and never remembered things being sluggish with it.

I will upload a picture of the engine bay later this week. There is a mystery thingymabob on the left side of the engine that I just don't understand.

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 69 or 72 bug Reply with quote

It's a '72- and it needs a tune up. You should buy a service manual as well. What you typed has the year specified if only among those two. Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: new to me 69 or 72 bug Reply with quote

The only things on the left side of the engine should be the vacuum bottle which works the clutch, and in the top left corner, the vacuum adjuster which controls how fast the clutch grabs. There should be a plastic cover in the middle of it which you remove to get at the adjusting screw. It usually needs only 1/4 turn (or less) one way or the other to get the clutch engaging smoothly.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 69 or 72 bug Reply with quote

I have my Bentley manual from my very first beetle (74 super autostick.)

I also have a recent Idiots guide.

To tackle:

Electrical abominations by the PO (probably too many to list.)

Stock Steering wheel.

Dash pad, wherefore art thou dash pad? Or, some better idea about what to do with the holes.

Identify mystery non stock toggle switch in a weird area.

Tuneup, reroute spark plug wires so they don't RUB AGAINST THE V BELT.

Passenger side floor pan.

Late fenders to early

Late bumpers to early

Removal of boat dash. Granted, brand new from the factory, it would float, but I wouldn't take my chances now.

Those dodgy external mirrors.

Tail pipes, back to stock.

Rebuild/Replace carb? I have a spare German Solex 34 pict something or other and a Chinese cheap as crap brand new Solex 30 Pict something or other.

defrost relay. It'd be nice to have

replace missing hoses (preheat, heater exchanger, and those under the back seat.)

seat belts

Maybe repaint or just plastidip before winter sets in, eventually decent paint job with stripes and 53.

Things the immediate PO did do for me:

Trailer it halfway across the state.

Put in new brakes. Best brakes on any car (even a hybrid) I ever had even though they are still all 4 drums. Imagine that!

Include all new parts he had gotten but hadn't had time to put in yet.

Include emblems (with possible exception of uber-rare Automatic STICKSHIFT! emblem.)

rip former herbie. some of your parts may live on in Herbie 2.0.

I did promise a picture of the engine bay. My gallery is full of former Herbie. PM me if you're interested in the engine bay shot I got today.
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: new to me 69 or 72 bug Reply with quote

itskyle wrote:

Include emblems (with possible exception of uber-rare Automatic STICKSHIFT! emblem.)

Not that rare...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1814515

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1888805

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: