Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

slimy film on positive side battery post prevents start
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
labraynard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: slimy film on positive side battery post prevents start Reply with quote

This is a different one. I have a 71 and a 72 super. Both parked inside garage
next to each other. From time to time only the 72 goes to click mode...
pull the back seat and every time there seems to be a clear slimy film that develops between the post and connector on the positive side that must be cleaned off so the car will start. Never have the problem with the 71 nor any other beetle I have owned. Posts always cleaned and tight...have tried those little felt things under the posts to no avail.
Any thoughts...Am I missing something in my later years?
Thanks.
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: slimy film on positive side battery post prevents start Reply with quote

not sure what you mean by slimy stuff, but if crap was coming out of my battery I'd buy a new one. Idea
labraynard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: slimy film on positive side battery post prevents start Reply with quote

No it's not the battery...it is weird...it's a clear watery substance and only
develops on the positive post but somehow creates just enough of a barrier
to prevent current flow. Take the post off...clean of the slime, put er back on and bam. Runs every time...just a hassle with the rear seat...had this problem only on this bug...never any other of my cars.
Just wondering if it might have occured to anyone else here.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: slimy film on positive side battery post prevents start Reply with quote

Here's what I'd do if mine, and the battery otherwise looked OK.

I'd wipe off the post, clean it with terminal cleaner tool, and do same for the connector/clamp. Then I'd install it, and coat the clamp/terminal with vaseline or heavy grease, and try that.

I do this on all my vehicles, also reduces electrolytic corrosion and build-up.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
johnR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: slimy film on positive side battery post prevents start Reply with quote

Maybe there is an issue with the alternator or voltage regulator and the battery is getting overcharged?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: