Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing Brake Fluid From Carpet ?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ravinsomniac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject: Removing Brake Fluid From Carpet ? Reply with quote

I have to replace a leaking Master Cylinder with new and have black carpet on the firewall and tunnel tube. The M/C leaked into the car at the rubber cone and the carpet is soaked with Fluid. The carpet is glued in, so I'm only able to pull the carpet back so far, but can't remove the whole piece without tearing it. I've read in another thread that it's possible to wash Brake Fluid out with soap and water. What kind of Soap ? Dish Soap, Laundry Detergent or a Degreaser Cleaner like 'Simple Green'? I'm going to fold the carpet back to the Passenger side and soak it in a bucket of soapy water. How long should I soak it?
Confused
Joe Bence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Brake Fluid From Carpet ? Reply with quote

All you need is water

www.facebook.com/JoeBenceEnterprises
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Brake Fluid From Carpet ? Reply with quote

pretty much right. and a shop vac helps too. I would add some nice smellen soap after you get most of it up and possiably soma alcolahaul to help with the evaporation.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Brake Fluid From Carpet ? Reply with quote

Once used a dry cleaner whose motto was "we can remove any stain-- then sew up the hole" Embarassed Embarassed

TIDE- will clean up anything- coupled wit wet and dry vac- we had a lot kid gas up a boat thru a fish rod holder once.- washed it out with tide- Exclamation Exclamation couldn't even smell it.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!

Last edited by williamM on Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Brake Fluid From Carpet ? Reply with quote

a few years back I had a oil can in the car for some stupid reason(motor dosent drip so.... it was probably from going to build somebodys motor at thier home and I forgot about it) well I got in one day and holy crap waht a smell....oil .so i looked under the car.....no oil!! then I started searchen and found the plastic can with loose lid under the seat.....errrrrrrr. I had the carpet nailed down...butt good and needed to get on the road so I got a billage diaper from my boat days and stuffed under the carpet where I could get it under there. I changed it the next weekend and then about a month lator took it out. never did pull carpet. last year I did pull carpet to do somethen and....no sine of oil at all any where, no nothing at all, them diapers are sweet!!!
Ravinsomniac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Brake Fluid From Carpet ? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
pretty much right. and a shop vac helps too. I would add some nice smellen soap after you get most of it up and possiably soma alcolahaul to help with the evaporation.

I was able to fold back the carpet that was glued to the firewall and soak it in a large pan of warm water with some Dawn Dish Detergent for a couple days. Then put it in rinse water overnight. I then used my wet/dry vacuum to get out most of the water, then put a fan in the car for 2 days blowing directly on the carpet until it was nice and dry. It looks like new, and the car smells a lot better from the Detergent.
Thanks for the tip !
Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: