Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jalousie (louvered) windows in a Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Jalousie (louvered) windows in a Vanagon Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Thunderstorm testing currently in progress. I just checked & very little rain got thru with the window's about 50% open. The screens are a little wet from the splashing on the windows, but that's about it Cool It was dumping rain BTW

Good test, mine have been great thru a year of camping, summer and winter rain no leaks,closed or slightly open.
Sleeping inthe van, in the rain without that stuffy feeling ...priceless
...and well worth the rattles on rough roads.
one day I'll get them rattle free too Very Happy using lexan in the slider is much quieter than the OEM glass o the drivers side
physast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Jalousie (louvered) windows in a Vanagon Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
physast wrote:
tjet wrote:
Got mine in yesterday - Kevin Mayer in Philly did it.

I have mine ready to install, but not sure about the installation. Are you happy with Kevin's install? I may contact him to see if he would do mine as well.

They install just like a regular window. If yours are ready to install come on over and I'll help you do it. Nothing to be intimidated about. Very Happy

Well almost ready to install... I have grinded down the 'T's' on the window frame and have the aluminum pieces cut out, but can't figure out how they fit together on the window frame.

I may come over if I can't figure it out.
Ryan Keating
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Jalousie (louvered) windows in a Vanagon Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Jalousie (louvered) windows in a Vanagon Reply with quote

congrats, it's always nice to see more make the transition to great ventilation.

though that's a different method to installing the jalousie.. how about an interior shot..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ryan Keating
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Jalousie (louvered) windows in a Vanagon Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Jalousie (louvered) windows in a Vanagon Reply with quote

What material is did you use around the perimeter? Some details on how you fitted it and attached it to the jealousie frame. Thanks for sharing.
Ryan Keating
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Jalousie (louvered) windows in a Vanagon Reply with quote

Here are a few from installing it. It's a tight fit in the frame of the original window so I just used silicone around the frame and panel adhesive on the original frame joint.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Jalousie (louvered) windows in a Vanagon Reply with quote

[quote="goffoz"]
tjet wrote:

one day I'll get them rattle free too Very Happy using lexan in the slider is much quieter than the OEM glass o the drivers side

Lexan is good for anti-theft unbreakable too. About 300x stronger than plexiglass.
Also good to have installed on back doors of house where they break the glass to reach the lock. Of course, you would have to reinforce the wood frame 'cause your going to piss off the lowlife trying to break in!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Jalousie (louvered) windows in a Vanagon Reply with quote

Next question. Did you have to trim the jalousie frame or add material to the jalousie frame to fit the vanagon frame? Much of the effort other than rebuilding the jalousies, was getting the outer edge of the jalousie to have the same dimensions of the slider window to utilize the stock window gasket.

I have not seen it done this way. Good thinking outside the box. A leader rather than a follower. So, what about using this method to install in the sliding door? That window dimension is different side to side on the later vanagons. If someone is willing to cut up their vanagon sliders, this seems like a quicker cleaner way to upgrade. Thank you for sharing.

Edit :Lexan has a lot of benefits, but it is easily scratched. It takes a lot of care to keep it looking new.
Ryan Keating
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Jalousie (louvered) windows in a Vanagon Reply with quote

It was cutting only. I did not want to add material. Just don't like the look when material is riveted on. Easy to template with the glass out of the og window. The ventilation is great.
Ryan
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Jalousie (louvered) windows in a Vanagon Reply with quote

Ryan, I really like what you did there. What I like even better is that I can play around with this over the winter as I have spare sliders kicking around.

It's fair to say you cut the Vanagon slider frame to remove the glass and then trial fitted Jalousie until the gap closed up, right ?
Ryan Keating
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Jalousie (louvered) windows in a Vanagon Reply with quote

I separated the seam in the frame to pull out the glad and divider for the sliding window. That is where when it went together I used panel adhesive to reassemble it.
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Jalousie (louvered) windows in a Vanagon Reply with quote

Isn't that funny, I never noticed a seam in the frame before ... cool, thx.
Flori14291
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Jalousie (louvered) windows in a Vanagon Reply with quote

Is it possible to make a jalousie window fit in the later sliding door with the shorter window (post-1984)? For the drivers side I did it like Ryan Keating, it worked and looks great. I'd like to use the sliding window frame, at least the upper and the lower part. The left and the right side have to be cut to make it fit.

How did you do it? Do you think it's possible?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Jalousie (louvered) windows in a Vanagon Reply with quote

I would be curious to the actual side to side dimension differences between the two versions of sliding door windows. I added material to all 4 sides to mimic the dimensions of the vanagon window. If the difference is subtle, then maybe they would swap in. Otherwise, it would require cutting down the jalousie frame width and getting new smaller glass panels. I don't think you can shorten the factory jalousie glass. I had one glass panel turn into a bunch of pieces accidentally.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Jalousie (louvered) windows in a Vanagon Reply with quote

You can shorten the frame if you are careful but not the glass. I used some plexiglass from the hardware store for my shortened frame.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Jalousie (louvered) windows in a Vanagon Reply with quote

$350 for a pair of jalousie windows? Not affiliated and I don’t know if this is a good deal but I thought I’d pass it on...

Rescreened, not rebuilt properly working originals from a 1978 Volkswagen bus. Middle windows.
Can deliver for gas money
350 cash.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/d/vw-bus-westfalia-jalousie/6368505038.html

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Jalousie (louvered) windows in a Vanagon Reply with quote

Mine were $5 each
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Jalousie (louvered) windows in a Vanagon Reply with quote

Horribly over priced. About $50-100 each is normal. You can ‘restore’ them yourself.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Jalousie (louvered) windows in a Vanagon Reply with quote

Finally completed my install (using RyanKeatings' method posted within this thread by trimming the Jalousie down and fitting it into an existing window frame. Love it ! One more thing off the list !

Thanks Ryan for posting your variation on a theme. it's brilliantly simple.

Before putting it in I rebuilt the Jalousies with the westcoast metric seal kit and ordered a new crank mechanism.

When I installed the individual glass window channel seals, I had a couple of them cut through on the sharp corners. I think I'd heat them up more ahead of time to try and stretch the seal to maybe prevent it from tearing next time. I used some clear silicone in the corners to ensure no leaks. Window closes noice and toight now and screen tension is great.

Redid the screen ( Note: use something to keep the screen frame from compressing in the middle when you set the new screen material in. Otherwise, you risk it looking like an Infinity sign !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 23

Jump to: