Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Pump/Fuel question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmandile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Oil Pump/Fuel question Reply with quote

First off, I'm sure if I searched long and hard (maybe not that long or hard) I would be able to come across the answer to the questions. I'm sorry if I offend anyone by asking something I could find but I don't have all day, I'm at work, to search for answers.

I have a 1600 dual port, I am in the process of building it up to a 1915. I am currently running a set of Kadron 40/44 carbs and a Crower 61004 cam, will these be enough? I honestly wish I never purchased them but here I am. Will the stock fuel pump be enough? I have a holley red I could use if necessary. Also, what is the difference between a flat and a dished oil pump?

Thanks all, have a great memorial day!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pump/Fuel question Reply with quote

I've used stock fuel pump on my 1835cc DP engine, fine. Since 1976 too. I have single Weber carb though.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pump/Fuel question Reply with quote

tmandile wrote:
I have a 1600 dual port, I am in the process of building it up to a 1915. I am currently running a set of Kadron 40/44 carbs and a Crower 61004 cam, will these be enough? I honestly wish I never purchased them but here I am.

Not clear what the question is? Are you asking if the carbs will be a good match to the cam and engine displacement? This might be a question better posted to the Performance - Engines/Transmissions forum. You will probably need to provide more info like the make/model of the heads; what size jets in the carbs, etc.

tmandile wrote:
Will the stock fuel pump be enough? I have a holley red I could use if necessary.

The stock fuel pump has been used to power 200HP+ engines. Unless you are expecting to produce more than this or go with a much larger displacement engine you are probably okay with the stock mechanical fuel pump. The big test would be to assemble the engine and run it where it will consume the most fuel/min. Normally this would be at the end of a 1/4-mile race (engine rpms near max for a short period)... or cruising at your max speed on the freeway for a good length of time (moderate engine rpms for a long period). If either mode experiences hesitation you may need a larger volume fuel pump (or your fuel filter could be dirty Razz ).

tmandile wrote:
Also, what is the difference between a flat and a dished oil pump?

Here is a pic that shows the two types of cams: flat (left) dished (right).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Notice how the dished cam slot for driving the oil pump sits deeper into the case.

Here are the different oil pumps. Notice they are aligned so their mounting surfaces are about even. The dished cam pump on the right extends deeper into the case. The center and right pumps both have 26mm long gears, but to accommodate the deeper dished cam less of the gears stick out of the case. You can see this by the thinner mounting flange on the dished cam pump so more of the pump body sits inside the engine case. For this reason you need to check pump to cam clearance when assembling the engine. Sometimes cam rivets/bolts need to be ground down to clear the pump body.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Others have posted success with taking a flat cam pump and presing the drive pinion (4mm?) deeper into the gear. This would allow the pump cog to extend further and properly engage the slot in the dished cam.

As part of your engine assembly/mock up you should check the gap between the end of the pump cog and the bottom of the cam slot. You don't want the pump binding the cam when you tighten it down. Nor do you want the pump cog coming out of the cam slot.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pump/Fuel question Reply with quote

I am running a stock fuel pump on both my 2110 DD, and my 2010 Baja. Both engines use dual Weber 44s. My buddy used a stock fuel pump on his 2240 until a rod went through the case.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: