Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where and how to mount an external oil cooler on a Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Where and how to mount an external oil cooler on a Bus Reply with quote

Scorcho wrote:
The engine that came with my bus had an external oil cooler but no oil cooler inside the fan housing or the mechanism/rod up in front of the housing that opens the flaps/rings. Do those need to be removed when putting an external oil cooler or do i need find those things and put them on?

I saw your other posts and didn't realize you had an external cooler.

What someone has done is make your engine try to be cooler when hot by removing the original cooler from the airflow and get it outside the shroud to exchange heat. The missing flaps tied in the open position might help it cool better in hot weather.

I'm assuming it's the old school external cooler and not the new school with a thermostat. Come cold weather time you might get some benefit from having the missing flap thermostat but with the old school cooler it will counteract the benefits to a certain degree (pun intended).

Scorcho wrote:
Wow I just realized my bus had no thermostat or even mechanism behind the fan shroud tin for moving the flaps/ring Shocked Shocked

Do you have the flaps?
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Where and how to mount an external oil cooler on a Bus Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Scorcho wrote:
The engine that came with my bus had an external oil cooler but no oil cooler inside the fan housing or the mechanism/rod up in front of the housing that opens the flaps/rings. Do those need to be removed when putting an external oil cooler or do i need find those things and put them on?

I saw your other posts and didn't realize you had an external cooler.

What someone has done is make your engine try to be cooler when hot by removing the original cooler from the airflow and get it outside the shroud to exchange heat. The missing flaps tied in the open position might help it cool better in hot weather.

I'm assuming it's the old school external cooler and not the new school with a thermostat. Come cold weather time you might get some benefit from having the missing flap thermostat but with the old school cooler it will counteract the benefits to a certain degree (pun intended).

Scorcho wrote:
Wow I just realized my bus had no thermostat or even mechanism behind the fan shroud tin for moving the flaps/ring Shocked Shocked

Do you have the flaps?

Aaayyeeee nice pun haha. I will take pictures when I get back from work. It doesn't have a thermostat and do belive it's an old school one. I'll also check to see if the housing has the flaps.

I only drive my bus in warm weather so theoretically would I be fine just reinstalling the old school oil cooler? I just got a rebuilt longblock and don't wanna do something that would help ruin it so I'm looking at the best possible thing I can do
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Where and how to mount an external oil cooler on a Bus Reply with quote

Scorcho wrote:

If you have a pretty much stock engine, then you would do well to just go to a dog house cooling system instead of the external oil cooler.
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Where and how to mount an external oil cooler on a Bus Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Scorcho wrote:

If you have a pretty much stock engine, then you would do well to just go to a dog house cooling system instead of the external oil cooler.

That's what I was thinking of doing perhaps. Only thing is that I don't have the rods that would open up the flaps/(ring perhaps)? Still need to look at my housing to see exactly which one I have
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Where and how to mount an external oil cooler on a Bus Reply with quote

if i use an external oil cooler, would i still need to get a thermostat and the bracket/rod element or would i be fine just running it with the oil cooler?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Where and how to mount an external oil cooler on a Bus Reply with quote

Scorcho wrote:
if i use an external oil cooler, would i still need to get a thermostat and the bracket/rod element or would i be fine just running it with the oil cooler?

You really should install the thermostatic flap system either way.
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Where and how to mount an external oil cooler on a Bus Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Scorcho wrote:

You really should install the thermostatic flap system either way.

I think I will, want to do it the right way. Already found someone selling a bracket and Rod for the thermostat. There seem to be newer thermostats now that would work but not sure if I could use the bracket that was meant for the original ones.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Where and how to mount an external oil cooler on a Bus Reply with quote

You can always invert in the DH flap parts so if you do go to DH shroud it will still work.

Where is the external oil cooler connected to the engine?
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Where and how to mount an external oil cooler on a Bus Reply with quote

I still need to look at my fan housing but if it originally did not have he flaps but rather the ring that I heard some of them had would I be able to put a flap mechanism in it and have it work correctly?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=699610

Been looking at getting something like this
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Where and how to mount an external oil cooler on a Bus Reply with quote

Yes, if you do not have the holes to screw mount the flaps in place, you would have to either drill holes or get the later shroud with them already there. Actually should be a bit of a slot instead of just a round hole for the far right set of holes of the shroud, for any slight up/down adjustment of that flap.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That setup of flaps in the advert will work for both non-DH and DH shrouds that had the flaps.
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Where and how to mount an external oil cooler on a Bus Reply with quote

This is my fan shroud
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Where and how to mount an external oil cooler on a Bus Reply with quote

Those are the same flap screw holes near the base of the shroud.

Hopefully you will not be using the external cooler over the fan intake opening, and weld up those four screw holes around it.
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Where and how to mount an external oil cooler on a Bus Reply with quote

yup im going to patch the holes and go with a stock setup for now. I was able to get a flap mechanism and working thermostat with bracket and rod all for 65 on Ebay so im pretty excited about that!
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Where and how to mount an external oil cooler on a Bus Reply with quote

Got my cooling flaps and thermostat today. Does anyone know which kind of screws I need to attach the flaps to the fan housing? And the nut size to attach the thermostat bracket to the case?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Where and how to mount an external oil cooler on a Bus Reply with quote

Scorcho wrote:
Got my cooling flaps and thermostat today. Does anyone know which kind of screws I need to attach the flaps to the fan housing? And the nut size to attach the thermostat bracket to the case?

Normal engine tin screws and a regular 13mm / M8 nut.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Where and how to mount an external oil cooler on a Bus Reply with quote

Thanks as always! When I put them on do I want them to be fully closed?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Where and how to mount an external oil cooler on a Bus Reply with quote

Scorcho wrote:
Thanks as always! When I put them on do I want them to be fully closed?

Exactly!
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Where and how to mount an external oil cooler on a Bus Reply with quote

You were planning to put them on when the engine is not running? Cool is closed, hot is open. Test the thermostat with a heat gun, set the flaps open with it expanded is how I do it.
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Where and how to mount an external oil cooler on a Bus Reply with quote

Am I missing something here or doing it wrong? The little levers do not line up with the bracket they're supposed to go into...
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Where and how to mount an external oil cooler on a Bus Reply with quote

You need to experiment on which way to flip each lever till they work. Once you get that right they will work with the linkage.

Block off that hole in the front of the shroud that was cut for the external oil cooler adapter.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: