Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'61 corner window westy campingbox
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Wexford wrote:
Good to see the fuel filter out of the engine bay.....(you see so many buses with filter in the engine bay on samba it makes you suspect people are partial to the flame-throwered/barbecued look)...

Actually I dislike a filter above the tranny and prefer it in the engine bay.
No clamps are needed with correct size fuel line, especially when not under pressure.

I do a visual inspection and check oil at every gas fill-up, so can cast an eye on the filter then.
Who wants to climb underneath and change a filter above them? Who likes gas dripping on them? Not me. I would rather change a filter in front of me than above me. It is just easier.
With a car that has been off the road and has a dirty tank, it is good to keep an eye on the filter.

I know that some people prefer a filter above the tranny, bless their hearts, and they can change filters above them if they like..
mudbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
As far as I know the springs are all the same for '55-'65? The '66-'67 springs might even be the same too, I've never bothered to check the lengths side by side. I've almost always have some on hand if you or anyone else are in need.

In the past the replacements were listed as 63 up and the hook to spring center was clocked as to hit the drum/seal on 55-63 (early big hub). Ive been looking for NOS early springs with no luck and my buddy has broken one and I no longer have any of the used ones I held on to from a old bus I worked on. If you could spare a set of new or good used that would be GREAT!!
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

I thought we were still talking about the beam leaf springs, not the brake springs. I have spares of them all.

I had the transmission this far apart, so I decided I'd take it a step further. I walnut shell blasted the case, and then Clara & I drove up to Gary Zinks place in Kent. Gary has been rebuilding transmissions since 1974, and is a super nice guy. I think everyone in the Seattle area should be using him.

We removed the R&P, and immediately decided to replace the side cover bearings with new ones.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then we pulled off the front housing with the gears and set it aside:

Cleaning up side cover plates.

Then we set off to set up the ring & pinion preload:

With that done it was time to look at the gear cluster:

Some of the ~'60-'65 gears you can no longer get new synchro rings for, so these gears were replaced with the later type with new rings to match. Same ratio, just larger gear with bigger better working syncro rings.

Clara examining the slider gears. We ended up upgrading both sliders to the style with modified pockets to hold the gear in place.

Increasing the end play on 4th gear. Gary said the book spec is not enough.

Gary was very impressed with the double pinion roller bearing. He said this was the nicest one he has ever seen in 40 years - it still got replaced with a new one because it was worn out.

One of the shift forks was worn and the replacement was too long to fit in the box.

Shift fork adjustment:

Gary said the mileage is not original, that the speedo has turned over at least once.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

What a great post and thread. I love the detailed photo's of this transmission refresh. How terrific is Gary that he allowed you guys to look over his shoulder as he went through that box.

I get concerned with the age of these guys getting up there. So much VW expertise is wrapped up with these guys at or beyond retirement age. Let's hope they are mentoring and passing on their experiences to a much younger generation to keep our VW's on the road for decades to come.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Greg, if I didn't know in better, I would assume you plan to drive the wheels off this bus.

I am really enjoying all the detailed pics and posts.

Thanks for sharing, I know it takes time.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

zuggbug wrote:
Greg, if I didn't know in better, I would assume you plan to drive the wheels off this bus.

Greg and Clara don't drive their buses very much.. They do nice work but it's all for waste with how much time this bus will spend on a trailer!!
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

sled wrote:
zuggbug wrote:

Greg and Clara don't drive their buses very much.. They do nice work but it's all for waste with how much time this bus will spend on a trailer!!

True that. It is more important how it looks than how it drives.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Cool set of photos, I love that stuff.

It looks like shift fork adjustment but is being done on a different transmission casing?
The yellow one?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Cool set of photos, I love that stuff.

It looks like shift fork adjustment but is being done on a different transmission casing?
The yellow one?
x2! Just noticed the yellow case is a cut-away... see what's happening in there.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Yes, that is his shift fork adjustment jig. He has a whole rack of different transmission cases to adjust all of the different types. VW made special tools for each different type transmission, but they essentially work the same as a cut away case.

I had a few requests for info to get in touch with Gary - here is his contact info:
http://www.garystransaxles.com/

Here is how it looked when we left Gary:

I made this tool to hold the axle in place and keep the fulcrum plates from slipping behind:

I have never had that happen but I have seen it happen to other people so I figured I'd be careful.

It's pretty much ready to go back in the bus:

It would be faster to put the reduction boxes together while it's on the stand but I always find it difficult to get the transmission into the bus without scratching the boxes or the spring plates. It's still a struggle either way, but at least like this it's about 75 pounds lighter.
guatebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

This thread gets more awesome every time I check it!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

After Linds brake failure a few years back, new metal lines throughout seem to be standard fare.

Also re-welded the clutch tube.

The reservoir is leaking, need to change that too.

Also cleaned up the wheels front and back and added new tires and trim rings.

House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Awesome wall of tools!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KombiMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
What a great post and thread. I love the detailed photo's of this transmission refresh. How terrific is Gary that he allowed you guys to look over his shoulder as he went through that box.

I get concerned with the age of these guys getting up there. So much VW expertise is wrapped up with these guys at or beyond retirement age. Let's hope they are mentoring and passing on their experiences to a much younger generation to keep our VW's on the road for decades to come.

Yes, unfortunately a lot of the expertise is retiring with the men who have it and mostly not passed on because the younger apprentices don't share the passion, don't have old skool work ethic or are into Wrexxers......

My VW air cooled mechanic will soon be retiring, his Dad was a VW air cooled mechanic. Two generations of expertise and knowledge and it will stop there! There's not much he doesn't know about old Vee Dubs. He's a gentleman, does work you didn't ask him to do (at no charge) and his rates are reasonable. He is completely trustworthy and honest......

Such a shame Sad

Greg and Clara, loving this thread Cool Cool Cool
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Working on the tubes before the tranny goes back in.

Used the shop vac to clean out the heater tubes from the back. It is a bit easier with the transaxle out of the way.
Then decided to do the blow and suck, the shop vac blows from the back and sucks from the front. Unfortunately I didn't bother with getting the suction in place and blew from the back and grit went all over the cab. Even though I thought it had been sucked out. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

So got the suction in place and cloths over the defrost vents and along with a bunch of garbage this guy came out of the heater tube:

This was pulled out of the heater tube, not too bad. Better now than while the bus is driving.:

This is the shop vacc hooked up at both ends on Cuddy's bus:

There is a hole in the heater tube at the curve under the corner window, I could poke my finger in from the top and push the grit in there so it could be sucked out the slightly enlarged drip hole under the tube. Need a pic of that.

Then with a clutch cable doubled over roto rootered out the shift rod tube from the back. Then from the front. Then did the shop vacc from both ends on that, and a bunch of rusty grit came out.

Next step will be to pull an oily rag through the shift rod tube to thoroughly oil and grease it up on the inside, before installing a freshly painted nice shift rod ... not the original one which was rusted.
66busman
Samba Motorcyclist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

I love the push/pull vacuum setup. I'll be borrowing that trick, for sure. Keep up the good work!
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

Those were my exact thoughts as well. I learn so much here and thanks to both of you (and others!) for taking the time to share what you know.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Eww..... Shocked

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

House wrote:
Awesome wall of tools!

Gary built a trans for my wife's 67 Bug and his shop is amazing! Super nice guy, does amazing work!

Arthur

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

More progress. Trans in and boxes done. Still have a bit more work to make it a roller again.

I reused all but two of the 6306 reduction box bearings. The two new ones went on the inside of the drivers side box.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 21

Jump to: