Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stranded on the way to ALASKA!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 109, 110, 111 ... 125, 126, 127  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
Are you saying that a gasoline safe sealant doesn't exist?

None that I can imagine for that particular application, you could goop it in with something but what will you do roadside if that injector ever acts up?, it'll most likely be glued in there for life, or if you go with one that stays soft will it get sucked in and your next video is a roadside update in the middle of nowhere with a burnt piston?. How much of a gambler are you?

How about some pics of the offending seals as well as where they go so we can contemplate a possible alternate method?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

We used a product called prc for fuel tank sealant but as busdaddy says if you use it you'll never be able to get it apart
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Just use some high temperature silicone on it and let it set up from 24 hours before exposing it to any fuel. Won't last forever but should work for a while. Maybe you could find a nice fat o-ring at your FLAPS that would give a tighter fit than the seals you have now?

Last edited by Wildthings on Sat May 28, 2016 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

OK, I have used "Seal-all" (comes in a tube, about $5) in the past. Its an old school formula that works well and is not permanent. JB WELD is also very fuel resistant but that will be a one time shot. Good luck!
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
OK, I have used "Seal-all" (comes in a tube, about $5) in the past. Its an old school formula that works well and is not permanent. JB WELD is also very fuel resistant but that will be a one time shot. Good luck!

X2 on seal all- we used to patch batteries with it back in hard times- only thig sticking to those cases and acid resistant.

Brings to mind another sealant- "Glovit" used outside aluminum rivet boat hulls for wear resistant seal.- again- not getting it loose with a knife.

Like he Ace hardwear "o" ring solution.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

The o-ring must have fuel resistant properties or it will be mush-ola with the ethanol blends. There may be oil-field supply shops in the area with the proper quality.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Isn't it time to change the title of this thread to "Stranded in Alaska". Wink
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Ha - probably! I've resolved some oil leak problems over the weekend, sealed the crappy EMPI exhaust clamps with Copper Hi temp silicone.

I used Permatex Flange sealant for the injectors. The mechanic here assures me that it is gas resistant.

Withstands temperatures to 300°F (149°C). Do you think that the injectors will get hotter than that?

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/permatex-anaerobic-flange-sealant/

Incidentally he also installed the main seal with this product.

So far the engine is working really well.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

World Overland Series - https://kombilife.com/world-overland-travel-series/
Latest Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/@kombilife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:

Withstands temperatures to 300°F (149°C). Do you think that the injectors will get hotter than that?

Your injectors mount into the intake manifold ends, right? If so, then they likely won't get that hot. If they mount in the heads that's another story.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Edit........

The injectors are NOT mounted in the top center of the head. Here's a photo showing the same type of head that Ben has. This photo shows where the spark plugs go!

See below for the picture I meant to post.

Embarassed Embarassed
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)

Last edited by hopkin on Tue May 31, 2016 1:08 pm; edited 4 times in total
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

300 degree threshold should be fine, permatex stuff is good quality. A bit of a hippy fix, but I understand funds and location limit options at times. Did you hone and re-ring the jugs? Thanks for the update.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

The way they're assembling it, looks like it's heading south for the winter.
Nice save on the fire!
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
The injectors are mounted in the top center of the head. Here's a photo showing the same type of head that Ben has:

There's so much bad info in this thread it's giving me a headache. The arrows shown in this pic point to the spark plug holes. The injectors on ALL fuel injected AIRCOOLEDS mount on the intake manifolds on either side. Gluing them in is hilarious, and so is gluing the mainseal.

Good luck.
**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Ian wrote:

Good luck.

I agreed with your whole post, but have nothing to say other than what I quoted....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Kind of a poor picture, I assumed they were intending to show the intake injector position, not the spark plugs. (Lets hope). Gluing the main seal is no-no in my book for sure. Short cuts are dicey. Not like I have not done them in the past mind you. I dropped a valve years ago, pulled the head, removed offending valve,plugged the hole and ran it as a dead cylinder. For 800 miles to get home. It was ugly, lots of gas in the oil, 40 mph top speed. I guess we all do best we can in any given situation. Since the Bus only has to get another 2K miles before its given away, many of our concerns probably fall outside the scope of this project. Best of luck as always.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

D'oh! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Apologies for the wrong picture above, I was trying to find a good picture of where the injectors are connected to the manifold intake.

I'll try again Very Happy :

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you saying that a gasoline safe sealant doesn't exist?

Used to be the answer was yes. Those sealers like Permatex 2B and the 600F industrial version were safe. But they were alcohol solvent based. Now with alcohol in fuel they slowly dissolve. RTV swells and leaks when it comes into direct contact with gasoline. The good news is that the injectors spray away from the seal so all the seal area gets is fumes. I'd use the non-hardening Permatex 2B.

That said Permatex has a new fuel resistance gasket dressing and flange sealant but I have not tried it. It says it is gasoline and ethanol resistant as well as non-hardening. One of the automotive or tractor supplies up there might have it. You can be the guinea pig trying it if they do. Smile https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/permat...e-sealant/
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

DAGNABIT

I've always used Permatex #3 Aviation Gasket Sealer. That's what the C-124 flight engineers and mechanics recommended. The older it is, the better it gets. Now I'll have to buy new stuff and the good old cans will go to waste.

Is it true that gasket sealers are made from a resin secreted by the female lac bug, on trees in the forests of India and Thailand and this it why it is called she-lac? Think

Aloha
tp
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
Is it true that gasket sealers are made from a resin secreted by the female lac bug, on trees in the forests of India and Thailand and this it why it is called she-lac? Think

Close, it's made from the shells of the Lac bug, hence the name Shellac, great stuff until they started putting moonshine in gasoline since it's thinned with alcohol.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:

Close, it's made from the shells of the Lac bug, hence the name Shellac, great stuff until they started putting moonshine in gasoline since it's thinned with alcohol.

A day that will go down in the history of TheSamba:
31 May 2016 BUSDADDY WAS WRONG Dancing Razz Applause

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shellac
"Shellac is scraped from the bark of the trees where the female lac bug, Kerria lacca (Order Hemiptera, Family Kerriidae), also known as Laccifer lacca, secretes it to form a tunnel-like tube as it traverses the branches of the tree."

Thanks for all the good information you've given us.
Aloha
tp
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 109, 110, 111 ... 125, 126, 127  Next
Jump to:
Page 110 of 127

Jump to: