Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tach placement
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Tach placement Reply with quote

I have been trying to figure out where to put my tach so I can see it. The tray is a terrible spot to see. I think I will put it where the fuel gauge is and put the fuel gauge on the tray. I look at it less than the tach. Here is a picture of a trial fit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Das67bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Tach placement Reply with quote

This is where I put mine.....just below the parcel tray. Easy to see with a quick glance.

COMFORTABLY NUMB!!
-Pink Floyd
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Tach placement Reply with quote

Can you mount the guts of that thing in a bus gas gauge housing? The gapping from the Ghia-style ring would make me cringe every time I looked at it.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Tach placement Reply with quote

I'm tall enough to not need a sun visor. 5'-6" should be tall enough to not need one either (in a '58 anyway... seats seem high). I used the visor bracket location to put a tach bracket I made out of 16ga steel (using the three factory holes)...
It sits up higher than I'm holding it. I can't see the screws now that it's mounted.

I put my fuel gauge & CHT gauge on opposing (mickey mouse ears) layout on the steering column (with moto-meter style brackets)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=327614

jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Tach placement Reply with quote

I have one of the motometer column mount but I don't like seeing the sides of my tach, plastic. I was thinking about making a seal for the gauge, the gap is tiny but can be seen. I also don't have much space around my column. I have a swivel seat, it sits quite high, my knees are right in that area.
54bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Tach placement Reply with quote

Hi

I have a large VDO tach (with a finished back) mounted in my 1964 double cab. It's mounted to a damaged ash tray I picked up at a swap meet. I was never going to use the ash tray, and saved the original one. The tach sits just behind the windshield split and is visible and out of the way.

Mounting it here makes the installation reversible. I also picked up a spare under dash tray and mounted all the accessory gauges, warning lights, and stereo on the spare tray. Using modular plugs the tray and all the extras are easy pulled out for repair and service.

Food for thought.
Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Tach placement Reply with quote

I like the ash tray idea, also can do the same thing on the radio cutout using a spare/home made.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Tach placement Reply with quote

Yours looks great where you have it, the PO of my bus thought it would look cool here Shocked
Britt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Tach placement Reply with quote

crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Tach placement Reply with quote

Britt wrote:

I never understood the air vent panel spot for gauges, you need to take your eyes off the road to see any of them....
What I really don't like is the og spot for the Gen. & oil lights on the speedo pod, by the time I see one of those lit up, my motor would be toast... Embarassed Crying or Very sad Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tach placement Reply with quote

My gauge set up. Old picture.
I'm running a smaller 52mm tach now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Tach placement Reply with quote

Depending on your priorities, a 911 tach fits here with a little massaging.

jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Tach placement Reply with quote

I'm going to run the motometer mount. I bought it NOS years ago, time to use it.

busworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Tach placement Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
Yours looks great where you have it, the PO of my bus thought it would look cool here Shocked

I installed that same setup in my last bus as well. I had no problem seeing the tach while driving. Easy out of the corner of my eye. Also had warning lights wired into it as well.
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tach placement Reply with quote

The only problem I see with the overhead vent is if your vent gasket is leaky and your in a hard rain at 60mph, the guage isnt going to like that. The issue with the guages in the leg banger/knee destroyer area is well, .........your very short, with paper thin legs that dont mind requesting a guage/steering wheel column fly by when entering/leaving vehicle.
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tach placement Reply with quote

quartermilecamel wrote:
The only problem I see with the overhead vent is if your vent gasket is leaky and your in a hard rain at 60mph, the guage isnt going to like that. The issue with the guages in the leg banger/knee destroyer area is well, .........your very short, with paper thin legs that dont mind requesting a guage/steering wheel column fly by when entering/leaving vehicle.

You could silicone a rubber foam speaker baffle behind it, used to protect speakers in boats/door panels from water (and help sound).

busworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Tach placement Reply with quote

I welded in a pod for mine. With a sealed wire harness going to it
54bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Tach placement Reply with quote

Hi All

I mounted a 90's 2.5 VDO tach on a spare Split window ash tray. The tach came with a back and mounting hardware for the dash, easily modified to mount to a flat surface. The finished back was chromed plastic, and not too ugly.

I found a chromed (probably delux) ashtray with missing tabs to hold the top onto the bottom half and with the retention clips bent. I modified the bottom half and drilled a hole for a hollow threaded tube (from a lamp) to hold the tach to the and the top to the bottom. The wires ran down the tube. After repairing the retention clips the ashtray with the tach mounted to it fit into the dash.

The tach sits just behind the window divider, it's visible but doesn't stand out from the exterior. The center mounted tach is easly visible and no holes were drilled in the dash. I retained the original ashtray.

In addition, all the accessory warning lights and wiring were attached to the tray below the dash... easily removable, if it was to return to stock

Scott
busworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Tach placement Reply with quote

54bug wrote:
Hi All

I mounted a 90's 2.5 VDO tach on a spare Split window ash tray. The tach came with a back and mounting hardware for the dash, easily modified to mount to a flat surface. The finished back was chromed plastic, and not too ugly.

I found a chromed (probably delux) ashtray with missing tabs to hold the top onto the bottom half and with the retention clips bent. I modified the bottom half and drilled a hole for a hollow threaded tube (from a lamp) to hold the tach to the and the top to the bottom. The wires ran down the tube. After repairing the retention clips the ashtray with the tach mounted to it fit into the dash.

The tach sits just behind the window divider, it's visible but doesn't stand out from the exterior. The center mounted tach is easly visible and no holes were drilled in the dash. I retained the original ashtray.

In addition, all the accessory warning lights and wiring were attached to the tray below the dash... easily removable, if it was to return to stock

Scott

Any pictures?
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Tach placement Reply with quote

54bug wrote:
Hi All
Scott

Thank you! I have been planning to mount the tach in a rusty ash tray that I had. My quandary was how to mount the tach. The hollow threaded tube in a genius idea. I will be happy to borrow your idea.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: