Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Single Cab Wood for tilt-hoops questions.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

which slats to go with...
Go with the ASH in correct 1.75" width at $115
91%
 91%  [ 11 ]
Go with the Red Oak at 1.5" width at $65
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12

bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Single Cab Wood for tilt-hoops questions. Reply with quote

So I have owned this old beater `66 single cab for 20 some years now. Use it almost everyday in the warm months.

I was at the Michigan Vintage show last week and guy comes up to me and asks if I want to buy a set of repop hoops. Long short they don't look too bad and I get em for next to nothing. They were originally on a DC so I need to redo the wood and make a canvas. I am going to tweak the hoops some to make them a tad better and I plan on making the canvas myself from harbor freight drop cloths, it looks to be decent stuff 10 ounce weight 100% cotton canvas.

Anyway, I get a quote for the slats in ASH for $115 out the door. That is cut down to proper 1 3/4 x 3/4 by 8 and some feet. Whatever it says on drop gates site. So....I am at Lowe's today and they have Red oak slats 1 1/2 x 3/4 by 10 foot for $10 a pop. Which would put me at about $65 and change.

My question is what you think about using the Red oak from Lowe's vs the Ash in the correct size? The Red Oak IS a tad narrower but at half the price and I can buy the stuff tonight (no waiting to be cut). This is a rat bus, the hoops are repops and the canvas is going to be utilitarian. Would enjoy hearing some opinions.

...and yes it is only $60 but I am cheap...LOL and this is a beater work truck. My only concern is possible warpage issues with the slightly thinner slats and Red Oak.

Thanks guys
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by bastardbus on Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:55 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Wood for tilt-hoops question, opinions? Reply with quote

It's all up to you and your wallet, but if you ever decide to make it as OG as possible or the oak fails sooner than hoped for you'll spend 3X as much to make it right.

Also consider the priveledge of having someone go to the trouble of making and offering the correct parts for our vehicles, you'll miss them when they are gone, supporting the little guy pays off for everyone.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Wood for tilt-hoops question, opinions? Reply with quote

I hear ya on the supporting the suppliers, but the Ash slats would be from a local shop that sells wood-supplies. They can custom cut them the right width thus the extra $$. Honestly though, they are extremely busy and did not seem to eager to do the job anyhow, so don't think that matters much.

Stopped by Lowe's on the way home to take a peak at the Oak ones and the width between the two is almost un-noticable. Hmmm
Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Wood for tilt-hoops question, opinions? Reply with quote

There are a couple of vendors in the classifieds on this site that sell the slats. Unlike your local wood workers they would be happy to have your business. From memory $115 seems pretty reasonable plus no shipping.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Wood for tilt-hoops question, opinions? Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
There are a couple of vendors in the classifieds on this site that sell the slats. Unlike your local wood workers they would be happy to have your business. From memory $115 seems pretty reasonable plus no shipping.

I pondered vendors on here but I don't think they can ship the slats for singles (if I recall) being almost 9ft long.

This place does a great job, they do all my European Beech Wood slats for my Westy racks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Samba Member #95
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Wood for tilt-hoops question, opinions? Reply with quote

Wow- you're too cheap for the right stuff, but you have multiple westy racks? Jeebus, skip Baskin Robbins a couple times and get the right wood for chrissake! Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Wood for tilt-hoops question, opinions? Reply with quote

Being a woodworker/carpenter/cabinet maker by trade, I would recommend dropping the cash for the ash. Wink

I cannot stand Oak. It is great for pounding out bearings and such, but I am tired of seeing it used for trim. Plus it smells like piss when you cut it.

I can certainly understand the money issue, and the reluctance shown by the wood shop, but you have many better options than to buy from a big box store of impersonality. Shop around. Find a small shop with an old guy and an old dog. maybe find some exotic wood and make it completely different from anything anyone has ever used for slats. Ipe' perhaps?
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Wood for tilt-hoops question, opinions? Reply with quote

hitest, the bus is a turd, the hoops are homemade out of angle iron and it will have a tarp made from harbor freight drop cloths. I have less then $100 into it without the wood. So it is hard to justify $115 for best wood out there it really doesn't "deserve" that. I have plenty invested in "the best stuff" for my other buses and the last thing I need is another show car I rarely ever drive. Just looking for the most reasonably priced choice for wood that isn't going to "fail". I have two great little kids now and they really eat up one's funds so it ain't about blowing money on other things, the kids have needs.

I drive this bus more then anything and the kids love to play in the bed at car shows. I just thought having a tilt of some sort to give them shade would be great, that is all I am trying to accomplish. As long as it looks kinda correct and works I am happy.

cdennisg, thanks for the level headed thought out reply. Just what I was looking for. I am not an expert on various woods, hardness, durability etc so why I asked. Very helpful!
Samba Member #95
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Wood for tilt-hoops question, opinions? Reply with quote

bastardbus wrote:
hitest, the bus is a turd, the hoops are homemade out of angle iron and it will have a tarp made from harbor freight drop cloths. I have less then $100 into it without the wood. So it is hard to justify $115 for best wood out there it really doesn't "deserve" that. I have plenty invested in "the best stuff" for my other buses and the last thing I need is another show car I rarely ever drive. Just looking for the most reasonably priced choice for wood that isn't going to "fail". I have two great little kids now and they really eat up one's funds so it ain't about blowing money on other things, the kids have needs.

Here is another thought for your work truck. And, I must admit, I haven't tried it in the 19 years of driving my single cab work truck. To prevent the wood from failing, mount the wood of your choice to the top of the bed ribs, not down low between the ribs where they will stay wet and "fail" sooner.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Wood for tilt-hoops question, opinions? Reply with quote

silkvw wrote:
bastardbus wrote:

Here is another thought for your work truck. And, I must admit, I haven't tried it in the 19 years of driving my single cab work truck. To prevent the wood from failing, mount the wood of your choice to the top of the bed ribs, not down low between the ribs where they will stay wet and "fail" sooner.

i think the canopy will do enough to keep the bed somewhat dry?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Wood for tilt-hoops question, opinions? Reply with quote

FYI the wood slats I am speaking of are between the hoops and NOT the ones on the bed. If you notice in the pics the hoops I bought were on a double cab so obviously I need to replace the wood slats to make the tilt long enough to fit on the single. This is why I was asking about various "cheaper" woods since the slats will span 9 feet and be hanging not sure how the oak-poplar-ash would each hold.

I am not putting wood slats on the bed, I just re seal the seams and brush on another coat of Rustoleum once a year and it is good to go. LOL

Being this is just a utilitarian move I actually pondered just using conduit between the hoops in the place of wood but I DO like the look of the slats when the tarp is off.
Samba Member #95
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Wood for tilt-hoops question, opinions? Reply with quote

bastardbus wrote:
the bus is a turd, the hoops are homemade out of angle iron and it will have a tarp made from harbor freight drop cloths.

Well then I retract my previous response, the tilt's a complete hackfest already then the sub par Home Depot slats will blend in perfectly, nothing wrong with cheaping out on an already cheapo component.

But be careful calling your truck a turd and treating it as one, it may be a little beat down right now but it sounds like it's served you faithfully and looks like you and your family have a good time with it. It may never be a show truck or be featured in a magazine, but most of the time primadonna vehicles like that are no fun anyways for fear of getting them dirty. Treat it with great respect since it's building irreplaceable memories for your kids and friends as well as you, even the roughest vehicles deserve quality parts and service even though casual viewers will never notice, even those vehicles that are pretty good, or really more good than pretty Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
oldthingguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Wood for tilt-hoops question, opinions? Reply with quote

Do what makes you happy - there are many ways to skin a cat. In other words make it your own and do what looks good to you.
64 notch - gone
60 23 window - gone
57 oval - gone
plus a few others I should have kept
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Wood for tilt-hoops question, opinions? Reply with quote

I think better question is will the Red Oak stand up as well as Ash?

Will the oak fade and warp really quickly once it gets wet?
Is Oak "hard" enough?

I'm asking for real here as someone who doesn't really know the various wood attributes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Wood for tilt-hoops question, opinions? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Ipe' perhaps?

This ^^
My Bud built a GIANT (120'x80') deck with Ipe' at his Inn, it can hold 220 people w/ a tent. REALLY strong stuff, lasts a long time......

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Wood for tilt-hoops question, opinions? Reply with quote

Ash will be more resilient than oak in the long term, but oak will work OK, too.

If looks are not that important, how about some steel or aluminum angle for the slats? Strong, rot proof, and maintenance free. Probably more expensive though, unless you can find some leftovers/scrap to use.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Wood for tilt-hoops question, opinions? Reply with quote

EMT conduit would work too, if looks weren't the issue.

Слава Україні!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Wood for tilt-hoops question, opinions? Reply with quote

I used a smiley earlier- but it didn't sink in. I get it, you are $50 shy of the better choice. But really, you not only asked in your TITLE for opinions, you are taking a poll- even though you've already made your decision. Oak is okay, I had some on my single's hoops, but they ended up looking like one of those Indian guys with the world-record untrimmed, 5 foot long fingernails. I'm only giving you a hard time because you already made your mind- so I and others here wonder why the poll?

Ash works for me because it matches the bed. But the last time I let $50 come between me and better quality it was for concert tickets- not something I have to look at daily.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Wood for tilt-hoops question, opinions? Reply with quote

hitest, never assume who someone is or their intentions by a couple of typed words on an internet forum.

Based on the information from a few guys who gave straight forward answers and opinions (plus some extensive research on the net regarding hardness, stiffness etc) I will be going with the Ash. (gee looks like you were wrong huh?)

I have been collecting-restoring buses now since 1987 and it got me into my business of Vintage Auto restoration. I have owned around 100 split buses and split beetles these many years. I find it always wise to ask questions and educate yourself on every choice in any repair that is new to you and why I posted this here. Though sadly you always get the mix of good answers and sarcastic crap. Probably why after 16 years having been a Samba member (I am one of the first 100 registered) I find I RARELY ever post anymore.

To the folks with the good info, thanks for the tips!

T
Samba Member #95
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Wood for tilt-hoops question, opinions? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
bastardbus wrote:
the bus is a turd, the hoops are homemade out of angle iron and it will have a tarp made from harbor freight drop cloths.

Well then I retract my previous response, the tilt's a complete hackfest already then the sub par Home Depot slats will blend in perfectly, nothing wrong with cheaping out on an already cheapo component.

But be careful calling your truck a turd and treating it as one, it may be a little beat down right now but it sounds like it's served you faithfully and looks like you and your family have a good time with it. It may never be a show truck or be featured in a magazine, but most of the time primadonna vehicles like that are no fun anyways for fear of getting them dirty. Treat it with great respect since it's building irreplaceable memories for your kids and friends as well as you, even the roughest vehicles deserve quality parts and service even though casual viewers will never notice, even those vehicles that are pretty good, or really more good than pretty Wink

In all fairness Busdaddy Todd's truck is a major turd. If Todd had not made many repairs it would have broken in half many years ago. Check out his Flipseat resto and trust him when he says the single is a turd.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: