Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Prospective engine build: 2007
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Prosspective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Al - talked with folk at Pierside Parts - with the 1.4 rockers and the XV304 cam (SLR) would be for heads that are 46/40+ - and, as t's pushing .600 lift, recommend having the lifter bores sleeved.

1.4 would not be just a bolt on addition for power for this particular cam in my current configuration.

Rev.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Prosspective engine build: 2007 (transformed into 2074) Reply with quote

and so, with the ever evolving nature of these projects - - here goes:

out with the cast crank with porsche rods (that will re-emerge in the winter driver motor (2007) Actually, thef 2007 will be resurrected with the same original heads, same crank and rods, same p/c's - - so, really what I am now giving birth to is a whole new engine?? In the winter, I'll run heater boxes and just not jump on it quite so hard.

here's the rundown on the 2074 -
AS41 case: decked, clearanced, welded 3rd etc by Paradise Motors.
TW 92s with Mahle pistons
78mm forged bugpack crank
berg 12.5# flywheel
stage 2 pp - with daiken disc.
(all of these have been spun/dynamic balanced)
Scat 5.4 rods
SLR SV304 with scat lifters that have been "SLR'd"
L-5 DRD opened for 94 : flycut to 49cc
.04 deck for 10.3:1 cr
full flowed

let's see what we can do to get this motor together for the May 14 Oregon Dub-in - at Champion Raceway.

rev.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

received rods and bearing,.
Crank is going in to Lindvig's for its first cut on both main and rod journals.
Got engine bay cleaned up. -but still haven't decided what to do with the diagnostic plug- remount or clip the wires, seal it off and call it good until the body off restore at some time in future.
Now to:
Weigh and balance the Pistons and rods.
Check lifter /case clearance
Mock up-
Set deck height and end play
Check rocker geometry

Disassemble
Clean everything good one last time and reassemble.
Easypeasy - voila- 2074

Rev
69 Bwajaja

Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

AaanD test fit he MSD and electronic fuel pump. . .
69 Bwajaja

Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Short block is ready to be buttoned up.
Deck is .045- with the 49cc chambers gives a 10.2:1 c/r.
Hopefully, this weekend I'll fire it up and break in the cam.
Then install it and put a few miles on it before Woodburn on June 4.
Gonna be tight.

Rev.
69 Bwajaja

MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Who did your balancing?
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

MConstable wrote:
Who did your balancing?

Don't remember who balanced the crank/PP/ and flywheel. Should probably ask again and remember it.
Pistons I used came within gram of each other (3 were on, one was out)
Rods came from SCAT -one was under, but when I installed bearings, all evened out.)

Rev.
69 Bwajaja

Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

MConstable wrote:
Who did your balancing?

Rimco did the balancing back in 1999-2000.
69 Bwajaja

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

THATS SKEERRYY!!!! rimco balanced my $$$ but not anything I sent to them. I sent it to hose A @dpr and he did balance it. I got about 5 diferent answers from rimco, but no balanceing and no refund.....just lies. and an assurance that my pressure plate was bolted on and ballanced.....but I didnt send a pressure plate Shocked , and the balancer was broken, and the sailsman halped do it and........effing thieves. good luck
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

If it blows up - you can bet you'll hear about it here. -
and then get to read along with me as I put it all back together again.

Thanks,Mark,
rev.
69 Bwajaja

Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Shortblock is together.
All rotates well, smoothly. No binding, no pinched bearing/dowel pin. Off to a good start.
Let the long lock assembly begin.

Of note: the oil pump, when I pulled it I payed no attention. In preparing g to install that, I did notice some binding of those gears. On closer inspection, the individual veins in the gears looked like a micro serrated knife.
Compared it with one I had on shelf, and there was notable difference.
Discard the serrated geared pump and put on list to purchase another for the next build.
69 Bwajaja

Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Got motor together and in and fired last night.
Was not without 'issues' -
Installed distributor 180 out while assembling the shortblock. Did not realize til I was adjusting the valves. Oops. After futzing with it- could not get the drive to come free enough to re-orient - it's 180 out for a while.

On mocking everything up, I had zeroed in on a .004 endplay- when I assembled (without main seal) I had .008. I thought I could do better.
Collected the right shims and installed. Torqued it down - nada. No endplay. Zero. Smh
Before readjusting the shim pack- pulled main seal and tested- sure enough, main seal was the binding factor.
N nob b. B n. V vvvbnbnn (sorry bout that. Fenris wanted to contribute- Fen is a 4mo. Siberian Husky)

Main seal. Installed fresh main seal- counter sunk it (not flush with case-) and have .0035 endplay.

Trifecta- building oil pressure (oh of minor report- cross wired the 3/4 plug leads- even after labeling them - Fen probably has more sense than I at this point.)

Building oil pressure- it wouldn't.
I had filled filter and primed the lines and the case (gravity fed) Cranked cumulatively less that 2 min. Nothing. Fired a couple of <2sec bursts. Nothing. Pulled oil pressure sensor- oil there.
Pulled oil line to filter- (verified I had not swapped the in for the out) no oil.
Asked my partner in life and in crime to turn key while I watched the unattached line- nada.
Why is pump not pumping.? Primed the pump and repeated previous test of watching disconnected oil line- we've got oil.
Reconnected and voila- we've got oil pressure.
Connected. Uffler, and spend 20 minutes sitting in driver's seat drinking a Guinness while holding the car between 2500 and 2700 rpm. Now, I get to pull it and pull heads, insert the center springs in the heads, look at/for and oil leaks and address. Reinstall. Drive it like a batouttahell and be ready for Woodburn on saturday. No problem.
69 Bwajaja

Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Btw- how does one change/amend the title of this thread?
69 Bwajaja

bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Glad to see that case was only cursed for me...lol At least someone is getting use out of it. Laughing

I'll be looking for you at Woodburn this weekend... think I can switch shifts with someone so I'm going to try and swing it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
Glad to see that case was only cursed for me...lol At least someone is getting use out of it. Laughing

I'll be looking for you at Woodburn this weekend... think I can switch shifts with someone so I'm going to try and swing it.

Great. Look forward to seeing y. Should be a good size crew coming up, too.
69 Bwajaja

66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Mikedrevguy wrote:
Btw- how does one change/amend the title of this thread?

I think you can go into the original post and change the title

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Link

Going to have fun
69 Bwajaja

Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

2074 is. And running.
1st pass at Woodburn - 14.52 @ 96
Last pass- 14.09 95.5

Once we get the launch down, I believe we may be headed to the 13's
69 Bwajaja

Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

And with a valve adjustment, oil/filter change, removal of stinger in favor of the dual quietpack, and swapping out the power pulley for the standard, we go from speedy drag car to mild mannered daily driver.

Replacing locking spindle bolt in front passenger assembly, and then I'm ready to put more miles on.

Oil had a bit of pearl essence, but I guess that's to be expected with only 30 miles on it?

Question- what led there be any difference between power pully and a standard pulley were I to (at the track) loosen them up to allow for slippage ??
Thanks in advance.
Rev.
69 Bwajaja

Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Pearl essence? Like shimmery metallic? I would watch the valve adjustment carefully.. Hopefully your cam is not going bye-bye Confused
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: