Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle Coupe? ID this car please...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Buffel Coupe Reply with quote

I just found this forum and can confirm the car is from a Buffel Coupe kit
I manufactured back in the 80's and 90's. It was assembled by a gentleman from Mexico City. This is the first color picture I have ever seen of the car and should point out he was able to have local craftsman continue the rain gutter beyond the rear door post, a neat feature my kits did not include.

More details of the original Buffel Coupe with fender skirts installed can be seen in the April 89 issues of Hot VW's and VW Trends and the May 89 issue of VolksWorld magazines. Should you have any further questions I can be reached at the email address shown at www.burlyb.com for the National 36hp Land Speed Racing Challenge.

Burly Burlile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
diggity010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw (o\!/o) nut wrote:
agreendaya wrote:
that looks ridiculous

I beg to disagree. That is a worthy ride. Exclamation
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

that is so ugly
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggity, Hot VW's disagrees with you. They put a Burly "Buffel Koupe" on their cover of their April 89 issue. The one shown in your photo is new to me and appears beautifully thought out and assembled. I would love to see more pics (pm me someone?).

Photo by Lane Evans

Thanx for the share..............................Burly
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diggity010 wrote:
vw (o\!/o) nut wrote:
agreendaya wrote:
that looks ridiculous

that is so ugly

Diggity,

Did you really just join yesterday; somehow search a 7 year old thread about a car of which you have no interest (wherein the last entry is from the creator of the car himself) then just bash on it?

Classy.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tan and rust colored Buffel Koupe is very similar to one purchased by a customer in Mexico City in the late 80's. His was gray and white as I recall but it too had a rain gutter installed down the back half of the coupe top like the one shown in your photo. I wonder if it is the same car?

Burly
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buffell the vw slayer??? watchout sheel bite~cha.
with all the wanabees vw kits out there.....how many other cars had kits to look like a vw???? now thats one to think on.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burly- nice to see you here! I always appreciated your ingenuity with your coupe. I recall the original article about your coupe and liked that you were so close (with all other couchbuilders in Europe). Wander over from the salt flats on up to Boise anytime!

Mark- I'd say the roadster world is saturated, but few fixed head cars are as much beetle as this one. It certainly wasn't in vogue in the 80s to leave a roof on a beetle that was being cut and customized. If I had one on order, it would have to have the one-piece rear window instead of the split ones, though.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx HiTest for the kind comments. I will have to give Bill Siddens in Indiana credit with the design and building the molds for the Ford Coupe. My contribution was installing it on a stock style bug.

And Mark, I never thought about the design as a kit to "look" like a VW. I like your way of thinking.

Burly
diggity010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
diggity010 wrote:
vw (o\!/o) nut wrote:
agreendaya wrote:
that looks ridiculous

that is so ugly

Diggity,

Did you really just join yesterday; somehow search a 7 year old thread about a car of which you have no interest (wherein the last entry is from the creator of the car himself) then just bash on it?

Classy.

I know its late but id like to apologize for when I said that... I didn't realize how old the thread was when I posted that I should've kept it to my self... I'm sincerely sorry Sad
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diggity010 wrote:
hitest wrote:
diggity010 wrote:
vw (o\!/o) nut wrote:
agreendaya wrote:
that looks ridiculous

I beg to disagree. That is a worthy ride. :!:

that is so ugly

Diggity,

Classy.

I know its late but id like to apologize for when I said that... I didn't realize how old the thread was when I posted that I should've kept it to my self... I'm sincerely sorry :(

No offense taken diggity010. Not everyone likes VW's that have been modified with "kit's" and whether owning or designing them, expecting that type of reference is just part of the program.

That was the reason I put so much thought into the way the Buffel Coupe was constructed and assembled. My goal was to make it as close to a "coach built" VW as I could, just using fiberglass. The only non-VW part I had to use was the inside dome light from a Chevy Monza, other than that, everything came from VW's. The photo below of the interior will show the VW detail I tried to maintain during the modifications. Lot's of changes, but all VW in the VW spirit.

Burly
diggity010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

36hplandspeedracer wrote:
diggity010 wrote:
hitest wrote:
diggity010 wrote:
vw (o\!/o) nut wrote:
agreendaya wrote:
that looks ridiculous

that is so ugly

Diggity,

Classy.

I know its late but id like to apologize for when I said that... I didn't realize how old the thread was when I posted that I should've kept it to my self... I'm sincerely sorry Sad

No offense taken diggity010. Not everyone likes VW's that have been modified with "kit's" and whether owning or designing them, expecting that type of reference is just part of the program.

That was the reason I put so much thought into the way the Buffel Coupe was constructed and assembled. My goal was to make it as close to a "coach built" VW as I could, just using fiberglass. The only non-VW part I had to use was the inside dome light from a Chevy Monza, other than that, everything came from VW's. The photo below of the interior will show the VW detail I tried to maintain during the modifications. Lot's of changes, but all VW in the VW spirit.

Burly

wow the dash looks good... I like the stoll coupe coachbuilt style of it.very good work and the lowlight wheel finishs it off Very Happy.
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diggity010 wrote:
36hplandspeedracer wrote:
diggity010 wrote:
hitest wrote:
diggity010 wrote:
vw (o\!/o) nut wrote:
agreendaya wrote:
that looks ridiculous

I beg to disagree. That is a worthy ride. :!:

that is so ugly

Diggity,

Classy.

I know its late but id like to apologize for when I said that... I didn't realize how old the thread was when I posted that I should've kept it to my self... I'm sincerely sorry :(

Burly

wow the dash looks good... I like the stoll coupe coachbuilt style of it.very good work and the lowlight wheel finishs it off :D.

Found the 59 Ghia only wheel and one semaphore on a bug on a trash trailer headed to the dump. And just a mile from my home. Got the guy to tow the trailer to my house to collect the parts. Lucky timing. Glad you liked it! Burly
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: