Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheel Mounting problems!!
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArizonaWolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Wheel Mounting problems!! Reply with quote

Ok, so I am trying to see if these rims I picked up for my vw will work or not. I paid 70 bucks for them and they look pretty nice, but the problem is I'm trying to remove the rims and tires that I have on there and I am stuck. I have what I believe to be two spindle mount? Lock Pin? tires on the front of my bug that won't seem to come off. I have removed the nut/ and two washers and now the bearing is exposed and I pull on the rim and have no luck at removing it. Here are some oictures, any help would be appreciated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Mounting problems!! Reply with quote

Go from the back side of the wheel and use a length of wood and a hammer to drive the wheel off.
ArizonaWolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Mounting problems!! Reply with quote

The tires are called mud blaster by Western auto. 7-15LT. They seem like nice tires, but are huge in the front. I also have tried wailing on it with a hammer and it really seems to be stuck on there.
ArizonaWolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Mounting problems!! Reply with quote

I finally gave it a ltitle more elbow Greece and it popped right off. These are the bearings that were on there. Do you think I could re use these with my aluminum rims? One of the aluminum rims is missing a bearing, so I'll eather have to reuse this one or go buy something new.
ArizonaWolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Mounting problems!! Reply with quote

Ok, I figured out that those wheel bearings will not fit as they are to large for the diameter of the rim. I will have to go buy new bearings for the rim. I have one question on whether the bearings should be two different inner diameters, because of the inner and outer diameter of the spindle?
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Mounting problems!! Reply with quote

ArizonaWolfe wrote:
Ok, I figured out that those wheel bearings will not fit as they are to large for the diameter of the rim. I will have to go buy new bearings for the rim. I have one question on whether the bearings should be two different inner diameters, because of the inner and outer diameter of the spindle?

Depends on where the outer raceway rides. It looks like your spindle is stepped, so the outer would be a smaller I.D.

It's common.
ArizonaWolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Mounting problems!! Reply with quote

Well when I went in to get some new bearings for the wheel the local shop here informed me how spindle mount rims are not good for riding around in the dessert and can buckle very easoly. So after great delima I decided to put some disk hubs on the front, so I will be able to put a 4 lug rim and tire on them and be able to do both sand dunes and desert. I have one question regarding the bearings and unlike the wheel the bearings he recommended were not sealed. He did sell me a sealing front lug, but the back bearing seems like it would be open to the dirt and elements. Is there something I should have for the backside of the disk brake bearings, or is this something that is standard.

jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Mounting problems!! Reply with quote

The seal.
ArizonaWolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Mounting problems!! Reply with quote

So the disk brakes went on the front really well and I have put on new VW rims and tires on. They look great, but because one of the rear drum brakes is completely burnt up I was thinking about putting on disk brakes in the rear. The EMPI's that I have on the front were just to go from a spindle to a 4 lug, so they won't have any brakes on them. I wanted to know what you thought about if i put these on. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LIRJRA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A60JVTL6HMWG0)

If you have anything else that you think would do better around the same price range im all ears. I like to order off of amazon, because they have amazing customer service, so thats why im looking into these.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: