Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help with erratic fuel pressure on FI type IV motor
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bryancald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with erratic fuel pressure on FI type IV motor Reply with quote

curtp07 wrote:
I was looking at the gauge..Harbor Freight?

CPOC?

Yes, Harbor freight. Not the greatest, I know, but held steady for different tests.
It's this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-injection-pump-tester-92699.html
bryancald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with erratic fuel pressure on FI type IV motor Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
You can loosen the bolts where the EGR tube attaches to the manifold and using a coin and some RTV silicone to close off the port. If your fuel pressure still fluctuates then check and see what your manifold vacuum is doing, you might just need to do a valve adjustment. Heck just do a valve adjustment anyway.

I would add some FI cleaner to your gas tank to help guaranty that the injectors are not sticking.

Did a valve adjustment and added a bottle of Liquid Moly Pro-Line Fuel System Cleaner just last week.
bryancald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with erratic fuel pressure on FI type IV motor Reply with quote

Update: NOS FPR installed. Acceleration feels smoother, but the problem still exists. Will run fuel pressure test again this weekend. I'll also check the valves again.

The other symptom I forgot to mention is that starting has taken longer since this problem appeared. Engine used to start almost instantly, now engine turns over 5-7 times before starting. I Los thought this backed up the FPR theory. I'm in SoCal, so it's not cold out.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with erratic fuel pressure on FI type IV motor Reply with quote

bryancald wrote:
Update: NOS FPR installed. Acceleration feels smoother, but the problem still exists. Will run fuel pressure test again this weekend. I'll also check the valves again.

The other symptom I forgot to mention is that starting has taken longer since this problem appeared. Engine used to start almost instantly, now engine turns over 5-7 times before starting. I Los thought this backed up the FPR theory. I'm in SoCal, so it's not cold out.

do you monitor the fuel pressure when you first crank it over? Do you get pressure immediately?
bryancald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with erratic fuel pressure on FI type IV motor Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
bryancald wrote:

do you monitor the fuel pressure when you first crank it over? Do you get pressure immediately?

I don't have a way of viewing the gauge while cranking. I was checking the FI grounds under the intake and noticed I only have 3 wires going to ground. One dual wire, and one single wire, leaving one male spade empty. Shouldn't there be four white wires?[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with erratic fuel pressure on FI type IV motor Reply with quote

Shouldn't there be four white wires?
No there is only the two connectors with three wires.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with erratic fuel pressure on FI type IV motor Reply with quote

bryancald wrote:
I don't have a way of viewing the gauge while cranking.

Buy or make a remote starter switch. Replace the alligator clamp on the one lead with a 1/4" female spade to make attachment easier. While not necessarily a must, a remote starter switch is like a dependable second set of hands.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Remote starter diagnostic plug Reply with quote

To link to this post copy and paste
Code:
[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8117689#8117689]Remote starter diagnostic plug[/url]

Remote starter
[15 and 50] Key must be in 1st position (on) to crank and engine can start. As pictured.
[+ and 50] Will crank with key in "0" position (off).

Last edited by Tcash on Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:29 pm; edited 4 times in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote starter diagnostic plug Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

Remote starter
15 and 50

If you attach the remote starter switch to "15" instead of "+" you will need the key in the "RUN" position for the switch to work and the engine might then start when you press the switch. This may or may not be what you want to happen. I would say that it is best to attach the leads to the "+" and the "50" terminals and then turn the ignition to the "RUN" position only if you actually want the engine to start. Note that leaving the key in the "RUN" position for long when the engine isn't actually running can also damage the ignition points and coil.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with erratic fuel pressure on FI type IV motor Reply with quote

or you can hook to the starter itself. My diagnostic plug was gone a long time ago.

bryancald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with erratic fuel pressure on FI type IV motor Reply with quote

Ok, getting ready for long trip and problem isn't solved. I will get into the heavy diagnostics tomorrow. Tonight I was looking at the coil. The coil was on the bus when I bought it, so not sure of its age. I run a Pertronix in a single hose vacuum advance distributor (federal emissions). Terminal 1 to 15 measures 3.2 ohms, center to 1 or 15 measures 10.85 ohms. Is this a sign of a weak coil? My spare measures 3.6 ohms between 1 and 15, and 8.66 ohms between center and terminals 1 or 15. Sad
bryancald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with erratic fuel pressure on FI type IV motor Reply with quote

Swapped out coil with the newer lower resistance version, seemed worse.
Took for times to start. Mad
bryancald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with erratic fuel pressure on FI type IV motor Reply with quote

Tested TS2 against old one, and both checked out according to Ratwell.
Also tested new injectors pin to pin, all checked out. Tested resistance of injector connectors.
bryancald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with erratic fuel pressure on FI type IV motor Reply with quote

Tested ballast resistors and they check out.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with erratic fuel pressure on FI type IV motor Reply with quote

the name of this thread is I need help with erratic fuel pressure. I see no way what you are doing has anything whatsoever to do with that. Maybe you can enlighten me (us) what exactly you are trying to accomplish these days and we will then be able to make suggestions where you might look to resolve the issue. Have you tuned up the bus, adjusted the valves, replaced consumables, and done a smoke test including vacuum tests of all the items that can leak - EEC, dist vac cans, booster, etc? Have you cleaned all grounds and replaced aby worn hardened connectors to be sure the connection is solid? Adjusted valves, done a compression test?
bryancald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Hesitation during acceleration and hard cold start Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
the name of this thread is I need help with erratic fuel pressure. I see no way what you are doing has anything whatsoever to do with that. Maybe you can enlighten me (us) what exactly you are trying to accomplish these days and we will then be able to make suggestions where you might look to resolve the issue. Have you tuned up the bus, adjusted the valves, replaced consumables, and done a smoke test including vacuum tests of all the items that can leak - EEC, dist vac cans, booster, etc? Have you cleaned all grounds and replaced aby worn hardened connectors to be sure the connection is solid? Adjusted valves, done a compression test?

SGKent, you are absolutely correct. I apologize for being a knucklehead. I started this thread originally to get help resolving a hesitation issue during acceleration. It's not a huge amount of hesitation, but definitely an issue. The other symptom that occurred at the same time is that it's harder to start the first time. Once warm, it starts without hesitation (it didn't do this before).

I thought I had identified the culprit as being the FPR since the fuel pressure test with FPR disconnected was stable and connected was irratic. I have since replaced the FPR, but have not rerun the pressure test (going to do that right after get done typing this message). I have listed the things I have done since replacing the FPR. I will be checking the AFM today. I will change the header of the original post to be more specific to the symptoms, and not what I think is the cause. I really appreciate the help provided so far!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with erratic fuel pressure on FI type IV motor Reply with quote

bryancald wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
You can loosen the bolts where the EGR tube attaches to the manifold and using a coin and some RTV silicone to close off the port. If your fuel pressure still fluctuates then check and see what your manifold vacuum is doing, you might just need to do a valve adjustment. Heck just do a valve adjustment anyway.

I would add some FI cleaner to your gas tank to help guaranty that the injectors are not sticking.

Did a valve adjustment and added a bottle of Liquid Moly Pro-Line Fuel System Cleaner just last week.

Do u have solid or hydraulic lifters?
Lifters Hydraulic or Solid ?

Tcash
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with erratic fuel pressure on FI type IV motor Reply with quote

check the points, dwell, and timing again. Also check the TSII to be sure it is not corroded or loose, and that the resistance is within spec. It is always possible you have multiple things going on. This is not uncommon in old VW buses that have been neglected by a PO. The dealers typically went thru a check list of things when they tuned a bus up. Prior owners do not always do those things. For example, when was the last time the wick in the distributor was oiled?
bryancald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with erratic fuel pressure on FI type IV motor Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
bryancald wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Do u have solid or hydraulic lifters?
Lifters Hydraulic or Solid ?

Tcash

Solid lifters
bryancald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with erratic fuel pressure on FI type IV motor Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
check the points, dwell, and timing again. Also check the TSII to be sure it is not corroded or loose, and that the resistance is within spec. It is always possible you have multiple things going on. This is not uncommon in old VW buses that have been neglected by a PO. The dealers typically went thru a check list of things when they tuned a bus up. Prior owners do not always do those things. For example, when was the last time the wick in the distributor was oiled?

Pertronix ignition. Timing checked, checked, and rechecked using 28 degree vac hose disconnected and plugged method. TSII checked and good. Cleaned all grounds with Dremel wire wheel. All cleaned grounds reassembled with dielectric grease.

Bryan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: