Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 karmann ghia help plz
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kauz789
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:34 am    Post subject: 72 karmann ghia help plz Reply with quote

So i found a 1972 karmann ghia in fairly decent shape body and engine is good but the floor pans are rotted about 50%..my question is how hard is it for a diy'er to replace or repair the pans..i know of bugs but not ghia..is it worth trading for a ironhead sportster? It looks ez to do on a bug..I've seen the bug me videos..
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: 72 karmann ghia help plz Reply with quote

Kauz789 wrote:
So i found a 1972 karmann ghia in fairly decent shape body and engine is good but the floor pans are rotted about 50%..my question is how hard is it for a diy'er to replace or repair the pans..i know of bugs but not ghia..is it worth trading for a ironhead sportster? It looks ez to do on a bug..I've seen the bug me videos..

The process of replacing the pans is the same for a bug and a ghia, the ghia pans are just a bit wider and the attachments are different and more expensive for a ghia (e.g. seat rails).
Kauz789
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: 72 karmann ghia help plz Reply with quote

Are the parts the same as a beetle? As far as engine and some parts..xcept floor pans
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: 72 karmann ghia help plz Reply with quote

Kauz789 wrote:
Are the parts the same as a beetle? As far as engine and some parts..xcept floor pans

As I understand it, mechanically speaking a Karmann Ghia is largely the same as a Beetle of the same model year.

Regarding the difference between the Karmann Ghia and Beetle floor pans, according to the information found in these threads ...

Ghia Floor Pan Tutorial

What are the differences between a Ghia Pan and Beetle pan?

... it is primarily the floor pan halves that are different, while the basic backbone structure remains largely the same between the two.
The Karmann Ghia floor pan halves are roughly 7 inches wider than those of the Beetle, and if I'm not mistaken Karmann Ghia floor pan halves are the same as those used for the Type 181 VW Thing/Safari/Trekker.
Kauz789
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 72 karmann ghia help plz Reply with quote

Well it is a running project which is what im looking for..im a diy'er..i jus never owned a ghia and wasnt sure what to look for and where to begin..i have a 1980 ironhead sportster im trading for the ghia i hope its a good trade
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 karmann ghia help plz Reply with quote

Kauz789 wrote:
Well it is a running project which is what im looking for..im a diy'er..i jus never owned a ghia and wasnt sure what to look for and where to begin..i have a 1980 ironhead sportster im trading for the ghia i hope its a good trade

If it needs pans, I'm sure it needs a lot more. May not be such a great trade.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: