Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

KDK Engine numbers
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volks1500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: KDK Engine numbers Reply with quote

Hi,
Ok I have a 1943 Kubelwagen and it has the wrong engine (36hp). I don't want to change the engine since it drives better with this one but I do want to have an original engine for it. I found a 25hp engine that the owner says is a 1943 engine but I can find any charts or websites that help brake down the engine numbers for 25hp engine and when they where built. Does anyone know one?
Thanks
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: KDK Engine numbers Reply with quote

Get a photo of the engine number and post it here.

A Kubel will have an engine number starting with 2-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volks1500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: KDK Engine numbers Reply with quote

The engine number is 2-028272.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: KDK Engine numbers Reply with quote

That's a '43 engine number for a Kubel.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: KDK Engine numbers Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
That's a '43 engine number.

And that's all that it is. terrible restamp is terrible. That's probably not a Kdf case.

Join the kubel korps if you're serious about learning Kdf era cars. VW people are clueless when it comes to them.
volks1500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: KDK Engine numbers Reply with quote

Where can I join the Kubel korps at?
Thanks
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: KDK Engine numbers Reply with quote

If you look at the right hand crankcase half, behind the crankshaft pulley, at about 2 O'clock, and higher than normal, you'll see the production date stamp, which ends .43, which would indicate a 1943 engine. Obviously more pictures woud help.

As for the number stampings, it looks like something done after a drink or two, or on a dark night!
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: KDK Engine numbers Reply with quote

Forgot to mention, that for information & help on Kubels/Schwimmers, then this is a very good web-site: http://vw166.com/
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: KDK Engine numbers Reply with quote

volks1500 wrote:
Where can I join the Kubel korps at?
Thanks

I'll pm you their club info.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: KDK Engine numbers Reply with quote

Those numbers look photoshopped to me. Other numbers appear to be visible behind them.
blood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: KDK Engine numbers Reply with quote

I think there are two different kubel cases for the 1943 model year. These photos are for a replacement engine for my 1944 kubel, as you can see this engine was cast on July 29 43 and does not have the perimeter bolts. I think the perimeter bolts were introduced less than a month later. I also have included the engine number which shows what it is supposed to look like and to set a timeline. I have been spending many months gathering up parts and have many more to get before my engine will be complete. Wish you good luck in your project. David Bloodworth
T2_681
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: KDK Engine numbers Reply with quote

Any new finds as of when exactly the engine case changed to the reinforced version?
blood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: KDK Engine numbers Reply with quote

Sorry, no new date info on exact date change. I have to admit I have not been looking for the change over date.
T2_681
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: KDK Engine numbers Reply with quote

OK
When you say the reinforced cases came possibly a month later, do you mean the date they were cast?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: