Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Noob as well - 65 Coupe
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
az_twistedfaith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject: After Media blasting Reply with quote

It has been a while since I have posted here. The brutal summer heat of the workshop and garage is much reduced here so I can comfortably work again...thank goodness.
I finally got the body off of the pans and sent to a local media blaster. Wow..The blasting revealed a considerable amount of work needing to be done.
The nose looks to have been partially replaced with a portion. One side of the nose is higher than the other.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As part of the nose job, the right upper fender has been reworked too with a patchwork of welds. Hmmm

The left headlight needs to be rebuilt and repaired.

What I thought was the worst fender rot was not the case...easily repaired.

The worst rot was on the left side from behind the left front fender on down to the rear fender and rocker panel is a mess and going to take a bit of work to fix.

Thankfully the interior looked good and not a whole lot needing to be done here though the dash obviously needs to be patched up a bit but clean of rust and rot.

I am having a body fabricator and welder coming by this weekend to discuss the major rot and rust repairs needed. My concern especially is the rebuilt nose and may end up having to redo and reweld this mess. The same for the upper right fender and the patchwork of welding done there. All in all, I am glad to have this needed work all exposed via the media blasting. Off to work now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks about like mine did. Except the dash area. Also it looks like they replaced the passenger side fender at some point with a later model. 68 up maybe. That looks like a gas filler door welded shut to me.

Prepare for wallet Shock with the the welder/body man. It's gonna get pricey.
az_twistedfaith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I had not thought about that patch being a gas filler patch. Hence you saying that the fender was from a younger car. Makes sense.

Yep, the car is a mess with the previous body work done. For the most part most everything except the front end nose and right fender, looks good.

So NOT looking forward to the sticker shock from the body man.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

az_twistedfaith wrote:
Hmmm. I had not thought about that patch being a gas filler patch. So the 65 Ghia does not have a gas tank fill tank filled from inside the hood/ trunk? The gas tank that was removed had the full filler tube and cap.

The gas tank filled by opening the front trunk is correct for your '65 (and other Ghias up through the end of the '67 model year).
It does indeed look like someone has replaced your passenger's side front fender with one from a '68 or later Ghia that has had the exterior gas tank filler door welded shut.

I truly admire your ambition and commitment - I wish you all the best.
az_twistedfaith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KC Coupe. Had I known what I was getting into, I might have had second thoughts yet nothing like a hard core education working with a car with problems. Finish what you start!
az_twistedfaith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Noob as well - 65 Coupe Reply with quote

After a break of recovering from a shoulder injury, I am back to work on the Ghia.
She was taken to a local body shop, Az Auto Pro Repair shop, to have the various skins welded on, rust rot sections cut out and more.
Being hauled to the shop.

Up on stands to begin the work.

A new headlight frame skin welded in.

One of 2 sides of pans replaced. The other side was done this last Friday.

Rocker panel and left front fender and rot. The rot was cut out and new steel welded in and the fender and rocker panel skins were welded in. No photo of this yet.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob as well - 65 Coupe Reply with quote

Looks like the nose is marked out to be cut out and replaced? This photo answers a question I had - the new headlight repair panel doesn't line up with the new nose panel so you have to leave a vertical strip of original steel in between and do two welds
az_twistedfaith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Noob as well - 65 Coupe Reply with quote

You are correct about the nose being marked for cutting. When the nose was cut out, there is a gap between the headlight frame and the edge of the cut of the nose. This photo shows the space.

az_twistedfaith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Noob as well - 65 Coupe Reply with quote

The KG has been in the shop for a number of months getting new sheet metal skins welded in to replace the rust rotted areas. Not a cheap task but needed to be done to get this back to good shape.

A new nose was welded in to replace the nightmare nose of the PO.

The rocker panel on the drivers side as well as the rot behind the front fender and rear panel has been repaired with the rot sections cut out and new sheet metal and skins welded into place.

The rusted and rotted drivers side headlight frame has been replaced with new metal and skins.

The rear passenger side rear fender rot has been repaired with new sheet metal.

So far, so good. I am a bit puzzled by the lip between the engine deck lid and the body immediately below the deck lid. As is something is a bit off kilter.... Need to tweak this a bit.
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Noob as well - 65 Coupe Reply with quote

Looking good. That rear engine metal area and the deck lid can be pushed around pretty easy. I had to put my engine lid on and twist it in the direction I needed the corners to fit better. Then put a jack with 2x4 on end up under the furthers rear sections and tweak it up to get it to all line up. It can be done.

Keep going. Gonna be a nice car.
az_twistedfaith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Noob as well - 65 Coupe Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas Motorhead. Everything fit snug before removing the deck lid and taking the body off the pans so I suspect something was bent and or maligned in the process. We will get to working to get this deck lid to fit snug again.

Ron
motorhead364 wrote:
Looking good. That rear engine metal area and the deck lid can be pushed around pretty easy. I had to put my engine lid on and twist it in the direction I needed the corners to fit better. Then put a jack with 2x4 on end up under the furthers rear sections and tweak it up to get it to all line up. It can be done.

Keep going. Gonna be a nice car.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Noob as well - 65 Coupe Reply with quote

Careful with two details on the body:

1. The left headlamp bowl needs to have an approx. 3/16" wide strip protruding from the edge of the fender. This strip goes around the entire bowl, and holds the rubber seal that goes between the chrome headlamp trim ring and the body. The seal sits on this ledge. It appears your repair does not have the ledge. You can see it really well in the lower left photo here (Samba gallery)-

2. Although I cannot see it in your photos, the rockers are supposed to have two vertical seams under the doors. Make sure the body shop is not tempted to apply filler or even weld to them to fill them in smooth. Next time you check on the car's progress on site, turn on the camera flash, hold the camera down low like on your shoes, and get a shot of the rocker beneath the entire length of the door. Hopefully you see seams like these two correct ones (gallery):

Otherwise- great to see the rust remediation.
az_twistedfaith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Noob as well - 65 Coupe Reply with quote

You are correct about the headlight protrusion that the headlight rubber is afixed to. The replacement skin did not have this and the existing was rotted off. Good point. This is part of the detail that needs to be worked with but at least the major rust rot is being taken care of and minor details to follow.
As to the rocker panel, yes, there are the 2 seams on either end though not readily seen in the photos here. It was not filled in and matches the intact rocker panel on the other side.
Rome wrote:
Careful with two details on the body:

1. The left headlamp bowl needs to have an approx. 3/16" wide strip protruding from the edge of the fender. This strip goes around the entire bowl, and holds the rubber seal that goes between the chrome headlamp trim ring and the body. The seal sits on this ledge. It appears your repair does not have the ledge. You can see it really well in the lower left photo here (Samba gallery)-

2. Although I cannot see it in your photos, the rockers are supposed to have two vertical seams under the doors. Make sure the body shop is not tempted to apply filler or even weld to them to fill them in smooth. Next time you check on the car's progress on site, turn on the camera flash, hold the camera down low like on your shoes, and get a shot of the rocker beneath the entire length of the door. Hopefully you see seams like these two correct ones (gallery):

Otherwise- great to see the rust remediation.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Noob as well - 65 Coupe Reply with quote

OK, twisted. You have a few work-arounds for the lack of that seal ledge if you don't plan on welding on a thin sheetmetal ledge now.

1. Don't drive the car when it rains!
2. Depending on the type of chrome headlamp ring that you plan to install, you might be able to adapt a different type of rubber for a seal. Namely- find some black thin rubber hose at a FLAPS, such as for a vacuum line. Measure the circumference of the headlamp ring, and cut the hose to that length. Make a slit along the entire length of the hose, then slip the cut hose onto the edge of the headlamp ring with the cut ends at the bottom.

The headlamp ring on the orange Ghia above is a non-OEM type; possibly from a classic Mini. OEM ones for a Ghia are slightly thinner/shallower front to rear. But the ring above might work well on your car as an alternative, and few people would notice that. Especially when the rest of your Ghia will be gleaming with nice paint. Cool
az_twistedfaith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Noob as well - 65 Coupe Reply with quote

Rome- Great idea on the rubber seal replacement...I was wondering on the size of the lip on the headlight above as my intact headlight did not have that big of a lip. I will do some experimenting with this headlight before welding in a new lip on the headlight bucket. The rubber hose idea as a gasket is a good one.
For what it is worth, I live in Phoenix and rain is a rarity here, thankfully. Thanks for the input and ideas.

Rome wrote:
OK, twisted. You have a few work-arounds for the lack of that seal ledge if you don't plan on welding on a thin sheetmetal ledge now.

2. Depending on the type of chrome headlamp ring that you plan to install, you might be able to adapt a different type of rubber for a seal. Namely- find some black thin rubber hose at a FLAPS, such as for a vacuum line. Measure the circumference of the headlamp ring, and cut the hose to that length. Make a slit along the entire length of the hose, then slip the cut hose onto the edge of the headlamp ring with the cut ends at the bottom.

The headlamp ring on the orange Ghia above is a non-OEM type; possibly from a classic Mini. OEM ones for a Ghia are slightly thinner/shallower front to rear. But the ring above might work well on your car as an alternative, and few people would notice that. Especially when the rest of your Ghia will be gleaming with nice paint. Cool
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Noob as well - 65 Coupe Reply with quote

az_twistedfaith wrote:
Rome- Great idea on the rubber seal replacement...I was wondering on the size of the lip on the headlight above as my intact headlight did not have that big of a lip. I will do some experimenting with this headlight before welding in a new lip on the headlight bucket. The rubber hose idea as a gasket is a good one.
For what it is worth, I live in Phoenix and rain is a rarity here, thankfully. Thanks for the input and ideas.

Rome wrote:

I wouldn't worry about the lip to much. My cars light buckets was similar from the PO's long ago body work. When I did my body work i assessed that I didn't have time time to change it either. The chrome rings fit good, that was good enough! So that is about 20 years without them, And i drive in the rain all the time. I did take the precaution of shooting rubberized under coating in the buckets, Even though there was no rust in them anyway.

However the chrome ring mounting lip will still need to be extended for the ring to fit right. Bring one to the shop to size up.
az_twistedfaith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Noob as well - 65 Coupe Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas swavananda- I will need to get the car back to my garage and fiddle around with getting the headlights and trim to work.

Ready to head to the paint shop now.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob as well - 65 Coupe Reply with quote

Hold on, twisted- it sure looks like your rocker has a significant kink to it as it goes from under the door back to the fender!

Will you also fill in all those extra gauge holes in the dash?

Swav- thanks for the reality check as to the (not utilized) headlamp ring rubber gasket.
az_twistedfaith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob as well - 65 Coupe Reply with quote

The rocker panel is straight and just the photo. I will scrutinize it tomorrow but was straight when last checked out.

The swiss cheese dash has a fiberglass piece from Glass-action that will be painted and installed.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Noob as well - 65 Coupe Reply with quote

I see side trim hole on the door but not in front or behind it...
...also, what side mirror do you plan to use. I see mirror holes in the door but a 65 would have a front cowl mount swan neck mirror.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: