Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Well, that is annoying.
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject: Well, that is annoying. Reply with quote

Parked my rig on a steep sidehill last night with a full fuel tank.

Tried to start it this morning and it wouldn't turn over. Checked the oil...it was halfway up the dipstick and smelled like gas.

Turned the crank backwards by hand to release the hydro lock and then ended up killing the battery trying to pump all the gas out.

Question is....do you think it was just the slope that made the carb leak or do I need to replace my float valve?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630046
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, that is annoying. Reply with quote

There is likely more too it. But if you had the tank above the fuel pump it could run through it to the carb but should have been stopped by the float valve. Another possibility is that it somehow got directly in the crank csse but then how did it get in the heads to cause hydro lock. Well it's the float valve, it probably doesn't work on a slope either. Why may-be the float leans against the float bowl and stays a little low that way.
Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Well, that is annoying. Reply with quote

I am talking about a 30º slope here...

This was a slope to the left, which is the side of the float bowl that the jets are on..it seems possible that the gas was simply draining out before the float could rise high enough to shut off the flow

But I don't know. Its certainly is annoying, now I have to get some other vehicle down this slope to recover it and do an oil change.

Just trying to figure out if this is a known problem that can happen with a functioning float valve or if its failed part.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Well, that is annoying. Reply with quote

I did not have a weber progressive on my 67 bug just pretty much stock PICT 30 but it would get gas in the oil if it got too cold. Happened several times with the car but I think it was happening when it was running. I wonder if some of the electric fuel pumps stop the gas when they're off?
Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Well, that is annoying. Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder if some of the electric fuel pumps stop the gas when they're off?

I wonder too. I know mine doesn't. Actually did it that way on purpose so I could run on gravity flow if my pump failed...that may not have been a great plan.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Well, that is annoying. Reply with quote

When I installed the CB-Performance Electric Pump on my VW Bus I put in a manual fuel shut off right where it comes from the fuel tank! It's just a brass gas valve from the hardware store.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Well, that is annoying. Reply with quote

I always put a 1/4" stainless ball valve in my fuel line too. It comes in handy in situations like these you just have to be thinking in order for it to work though.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, that is annoying. Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
I always put a 1/4" stainless ball valve in my fuel line too. It comes in handy in situations like these you just have to be thinking in order for it to work though.

Yeah, I have one too but I've never actually used it before except during engine work.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: