Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stub axle binding on bearing housing - more shims ?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danielzink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Stub axle binding on bearing housing - more shims ? Reply with quote

Not quite sure what's going on here.

I got some new trailing arms and decided to rebuild the entire assembly.

I got everything together and put a rotor on and started tightening the castle nut just a little and everything bound up....

This is what is happening.

I have all the spacers in and the bearings all seated nicely....so I'm at a loss..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dan

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.danielzink.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Stub axle binding on bearing housing - more shims ? Reply with quote

Exactly where is it binding..... By pic is flange hitting brace?...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
danielzink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Stub axle binding on bearing housing - more shims ? Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Exactly where is it binding..... By pic is flange hitting brace?...

Dale

Sorry about that. The cv flange is actually binding on the circular bearing housing...

Bearings went in okay...big C clip is in there.....

Stumped...

www.danielzink.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2manybugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Stub axle binding on bearing housing - more shims ? Reply with quote

You said all of the spacers are in, does that include the long one between the bearings? If it is in, could it be shorter than stock for some reason? If your center spacer is in and it is the stock length you simply have a problem of your aftermarket axle not fitting into your housing. Try putting a stock axle in and see if it fits. The profile of the back of the axle is important.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Stub axle binding on bearing housing - more shims ? Reply with quote

Thickness of caliper mount may be issue... By not letting everything tighten up to where all the "space" is removed between spacers as everything compresses.... Also maybe wrong outer bearing retainer... There are at least three different ones with seating depth of bearing being different in each one....

Could also be wrong spacer between inside bearing and flange...

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
danielzink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Stub axle binding on bearing housing - more shims ? Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Thickness of caliper mount may be issue... By not letting everything tighten up to where all the "space" is removed between spacers as everything compresses.... Also maybe wrong outer bearing retainer... There are at least three different ones with seating depth of bearing being different in each one....

Dale

I woke up at 4am wondering about that caliper mount...

It all worked with the stock arms so I didn't think it might be an issue with the new ones...but hey...anything is possible..

I thought I pulled the stub axle out and checked to see if there was any play between the big inner spacer and the bearings...I don't remember there being any - but I'll check again tonight..

www.danielzink.com
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Stub axle binding on bearing housing - more shims ? Reply with quote

I don't know if this link will help or not.

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/501283113.html

It shows the bevels on the spacers facing a certain way.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Stub axle binding on bearing housing - more shims ? Reply with quote

looks to me like the lip on the trailing arm needs to be shaved down, flush with the seal. or add another spacer to the axle shaft to space the cv flange out. but then you might not be able to tighten the nut down for cotter pin.

you can see where the housing scratched the CV flange.
danielzink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Stub axle binding on bearing housing - more shims ? Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
I don't know if this link will help or not.

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/501283113.html

It shows the bevels on the spacers facing a certain way.

That's why I posted the closeup pics in my first post to show that they were installed correctly.

I did use the guide at pac customs fwiw.

www.danielzink.com
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Stub axle binding on bearing housing - more shims ? Reply with quote

Sorry, just trying to exhaust all possibilities. There's no way the inner and outer bearing got switched. The only thing left is the trailing arm width.

danielzink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Stub axle binding on bearing housing - more shims ? Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
Sorry, just trying to exhaust all possibilities. There's no way the inner and outer bearing got switched. The only thing left is the trailing arm width.

NP.

I'm going to take apart the stock axle tonight and look at the shims in there.

I would guess (assume...) that they would take a "stock" bearing carrier and weld the new boxed arms to it.

That assumption being that anything taken off another "stock" bearing carrier...things would fit...

But...we all know how assumptions go...

Very Happy

I have a few sets of bearing caps hanging around as well...maybe I'll try and experiment with those..

Not sure how that would help though....as the center race on the outside bearing isn't fixed...it can slide in and out so the bearing itself wouldn't be moving...

Dan

www.danielzink.com
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Stub axle binding on bearing housing - more shims ? Reply with quote

danielzink wrote:
Dale M. wrote:

Dale

I woke up at 4am wondering about that caliper mount...

It all worked with the stock arms so I didn't think it might be an issue with the new ones...but hey...anything is possible..

I thought I pulled the stub axle out and checked to see if there was any play between the big inner spacer and the bearings...I don't remember there being any - but I'll check again tonight..

It looks like the caliper mount would go around a stock arm, but is butted up against the new arm. Is there a gap anywhere between the caliper mount and the trailing arm ?

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Stub axle binding on bearing housing - more shims ? Reply with quote

It looks to me that the back of the caliper bracket hits the back of the arm, keeping the bracket from seating against the outer side of the bearing housing.

You MAY have to make caliper brackets out of steel plate and weld them to the back of the arm.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
danielzink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Stub axle binding on bearing housing - more shims ? Reply with quote

So... I took the whole assembly back to the shop where I purchased them.

We assembled everything on the counter so he could see and he agreed that there was an issue.

He called the manufacturer of the arms and the suggestion was to use a swingaxle rear spacer and would check his other arms and see if this is an issue with them as well.

Apparently there are 3 different thicknesses of rear shims:

here's the difference between the one I *was* using and the thicker "swingaxle" shim:

That has cured my binding issue..now my aftermarket disc brakes don't fit...but I'll start a new thread for that....

Confused
Confused

Dan

www.danielzink.com
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Stub axle binding on bearing housing - more shims ? Reply with quote

danielzink wrote:

We assembled everything on the counter so he could see and he agreed that there was an issue.

He called the manufacturer of the arms and the suggestion was to use a swingaxle rear spacer and would check his other arms and see if this is an issue with them as well.

Apparently there are 3 different thicknesses of rear shims:

here's the difference between the one I *was* using and the thicker "swingaxle" shim:

That has cured my binding issue..now my aftermarket disc brakes don't fit...but I'll start a new thread for that....

Confused
Confused

Dan

Then the "fix" was a "patch" to get manufacture off the hook and put the problem back on you.....

You should probably ditch those arms and start over....

Dale

danielzink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Stub axle binding on bearing housing - more shims ? Reply with quote

[quote="Dale M."]
danielzink wrote:

<snip>

Then the "fix" was a "patch" to get manufacture off the hook and put the problem back on you.....

You should probably ditch those arms and start over....

Dale

Have drilled the arms for my swing plates.....so I'm sure they'll say they're modified...

At this point I'm sure I'm not getting any money back....

Guess I hope I win the lotto so I can throw these arms away and buy new ones...

That kind of disposable income doesn't grow on trees...

www.danielzink.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: