Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 412 these days..
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

Fantastic work....a couple of items.

For the gas flap spring......I have a spare I can get to you.

For the rear shocks.....and I do not recommend these to anyone.....but I have a set of KYB gas-a-just. ....NOS.....original equipment part #. I have no idea if they are any hood. Still in jthe boxes, still strapped down with the factory tether.

They will either work great.....or have short life. ....its a gamble. If the gas has not changed chambers and if the outer seal holds.....they could be good for 30k miles. The hassle is changing them again if they crap out. You can have them if you want them.

Warning.....the braided factory lines have been definately shown to be a risk for usage with alcohol fuels. Lifespan can be very short ....or normal. Just as many indicators for both. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

This is awesome, Ray. PM me whenyou have a chance and we'll coordinate. Lucky to have a mentor for this car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

So, to sum up.... here is a 'final tour' of my '73 412. I'm now getting prepped to begin cleaning the crap that accumulated under the windshield and glass seals. Once that is complete, I'll jump into masking off the obvious areas.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A couple items I plan to keep intact but will mask off:

-Aluminum trim around windows with scrapers. It appears that these components are still functional, however, they are easily broken from what I've read.

-The striker plates will be cleaned and masked off

-All decals (i.e. Info on inside of fuel filler door)

-Threads for all screws/bolts remaining on body of car will be masked over to avoid 'clogging'.

I am really getting excited about the paint process and have put alot of faith in Maaco.

More information to come as we get closer to the end of the week..

As always, open to suggestions/feedback; everyone has been a great source source of Feedback!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

The aluminum trim is really not that difficult. From memory...there is a clamping section on each one. Pop that off.....remove the door panel and drop te glass down and these should come off without bending. Its been a while but I have done it numerous times.

I agree about the decals...m.but put a scribe mark on each side of the striker plTes and remove them is what I would do. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

Well yesterday was the next step in getting her ready for paint. Had two issues come to light:

1) The door seals were so bad, they came off in multiple pieces. The PO had put silicone caulk behind the various pieces to hold it in. So, Im left with no door seals and a ton of silicone to peel off. Any suggestions as to what to use as a retrofit?

2) Did my best to remove the ugly pin striping. Some of it took the paint with it as I pulled it off as gently as possible:

One benefit, under the pinstriping, I found the holes for the trim. Now I just need to decide if I am going to plug the holes or insert the clips with silicone so water doesnt get in through the holes. The other item to consider is that this car will rarely see rain.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

I used two different common profiles for my door seals from Auveco. They were "similar' enough to stock that with some fitting and work they seal far better than anything I have had on any of my type 4's.

They are still pliable since 1998. I will try to take some pictures and check my books for part #'s.

Also....the way to do this...is pull all the seals off...carefully align the door panel gaps and adjust the striker plates. When that is all perfect....paint it. Then apply the seals.

When you know your door position and gaps are perfect...then any serious closing issues are known to bee seal adjustment. Also...they will be tight for a couple of months until they form fit due to compression.

The nice thing about these seals is that they are neoprene closed cell foam with smooth, molded outsides....in other words...modern seal materials. They are superior to the original rubber seals from VW.

As others have found on other cars...unless the repop seals you buy are very superbly molded....even time will not get them to crush properly if they are too big in certain areas because EPDM rubber does not work like foam.
Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

That is great news. Here's to hoping you can get the seal number from Auveco. Ill make sure I report back my findings. Thanks again.
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

In tandem with getting her ready for paint, I completed the final touches on the D-Jet FI system and am pleased with the final result. Over the past 12 months, I've been asking many questions in order to fully absorb and understand how the DJet system functions and how to troubleshoot it. I was determined to learn the system. I have 3 other Vehicles, all Ljet. I'm a self-proclaimed god with these systems. Well, seriously, I'm pretty confident with L- jet. Now, after working on a couple od Djets, I wanted to share what I've learned. I'm hoping this data will help others. I do have to say that Ray G has been a huge contributor to my success and my approach to fixing/diagnosing ones d jet systems. Here is my formula, I hope these touch points will help keep others systems running for years to come:

1) Never assume a poorly running engine is FI related. Eliminate the common culprits first:

Engine health: Check your compression. Ensure that you don't have any large variances between each cylinder. Adjust valves to .006" on a cold engine. Make sure that the intake runners have no leaks, paying special attention to the seals that connect the intake air plenum to the runners themselves. These get dry and crack over time.

Ignition system: (points fouled or stuck closed, cap, rotor, plugs, timing, coil, etc.) Troubleshooting instructions for these components are readily available online or in the Haynes manual.

Vacuum lines: This can be pricey, but worth the investment. If you have older, dry-rotted vacuum lines throughout the engine, you are best off taking the sting up front and investing in a properly color-coded set of new hoses which will work wonders and elimate vacuum leaks. If you do this piecemeal, you may end up getting frustrated by forever chasing elusive vacuum leaks. Be prepared to spend about 75.00 for a good set. If you would like to know where I found the hose kit, PM me, and I'll dig up the supplier's info. Further, you should check other parts of your engine for potential leaks that arent hose-related eg. Oil filler and dipstick rubber bellows (variant), breather box, pcv valve. Even the smallest leak will throw the system off causing poor performance.

Voltage: Most of these cars have original, 40+ Year old voltage regulators in them. Overtime, resistance builds up and the FI system can be robbed of the voltage necessary to keep the DJet from functioning optimally. There are some teriffic threads in this forum on how to ensure the system is getting the optimal amount of voltage to sustain a healthy running car. Further, a good battery is essential. You should also ensure the ground wire isn't rotted/fouled up, same applies to the ground strap that connects the engine to the transmission as well as the transmission to the body of the car. Finally, ensure the FI system is properly grounded, paying special attention to the 6 ground wires on the front, top part of the engine.

2) Now its time to assess engine performance after all of the above actions have been completed, tested, and parts relaced as necessary. If performance hasn't improved, I'd take a look at the FI system. Here is how I tackled it:

Fuel pressure: I measured fuel pressure from the small nipple located on the left fuel rail in between cylinders 3 and 4. I shoot for 25-28 psi, mine was right in the ball park

I took each injector out, but left them connected and placed a dixie cup under each exposed injector as a buddy turned the engine over. I noted the spray pattern and eye-balled the volume of fuel they sprayed out over the duration of 10 seconds of cranking over. This is where I discovered problems 1 and 2 : one injector didn't work at all, another one had a bad spray pattern, the fuel came out in a linear spray rather than a concical patten. I replaced all injectors with rebuilt ones.

Next I cheated and used this:

Result: I recieved a red light warning for the cylinder head temp sensor. So, I bought a new one and hooked the tester up, and got a green light. Same thing happened with the other temp sensor (number 1 temp sensor I believe is the proper name.). That gave me a yellow light, so I replaced that one and again got a green light once new one was installed. Finally, I was getting an error message (yellow light actually). This was related to the MPS and currently the crux of my problem.

Ray has so much valuable input on this, so I'm not going into tremendous detail here. The crux of the matter was that my 'vacuum signature' of my engine was on the low side. Ray gave me a technique for which to tune the pressure sensor per se to match that of my engine's signature. At first it was intimidating and tricky for me to do. Once I built up my confidence, I was able to adjust it easily.

All of the other tests passed with flying colors. So, I went from an extremely difficult car to start (and would not hold an idle) to a car that literally starts in just under 2 seconds:

Link

I hope this helps out (and encourages) more 411/412 owners to not be afraid of the FI system. Overall, its very robust. Thanks to all the folks that got me this far. I'm hoping to get the car to paint on Saturday. It's all a matter of how much taping, prep, and removing of parts I can get completed by tomorrow evening.

Last edited by ClassicCamper on Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

Doing well!. As you drive much more and tune more....you will find that D-jet can start even faster than that. Before I tore it all apart for its final restoration.....my engine would start...literally...on the first bump of the key. Right at...1.5 to 2.0 revolutions of the engine.

It actually started far faster than my 2006 Jetta snd my current pristine 2012 Golf.

D-jet can do this (when tuned out properly and in great mechanical condition)....like no other except CIS injection.....because of its paired injection cycle and "live" enrichment pulses from the TVS.

Last thing......NEVER set or allow your fuel pressure over 32 psi.....and only at 32 psi of you have an ACCURATE gauge with known calibration. The low impedance injectors revert to stream instead of spray right about,35 psi or higher.....when pulse width approaches 70% or higher.
That is partly to do with spring pressure and partly to do with the angle ground on the pintle.

28 psi is the spec for a reason. The idea of going to 30 psi to cover minor lean issues in worn engines....is an old mechanics trick...and legitimate.....but anything over that pressure. ..is risky if you have no idea how accurate your gauge is.
The trick is a stop gap so they do not have ro do involved testong, driving and adjusting of the MPS. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

Quote:
Last thing......NEVER set or allow your fuel pressure over 32 psi.....and only at 32 psi of you have an ACCURATE gauge with known calibration. The low impedance injectors revert to stream instead of spray right about,35 psi or higher.....when pulse width approaches 70% or higher.
That is partly to do with spring pressure and partly to do with the angle ground on the pintle.

Original post adjusted to reflect spec correction above.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:
Quote:

Original post adjusted to reflect spec correction above.

Got it.....but bear in mind and this is what I am getting at......there is no acceptable RANGE for pressure that is below 28 and above 30.

Understand.......this system is fixed pressure. The programming of the ecu (if you can call it programming). ....is such that it ASSUMES that the pressure is correct....and stable. It makes all of its decisions and fuel dosages......based on that knowledge.

Unlike later systems......it has no 02 sensor or knock sensors etc.....to be able to KNOW that the pressure is incorrect.

At 28 psi.....every 1 psi....is equal to 3.57% of fuel mixture change. Thats a lot.

This is also my issue with using the factory tester. Its technically worthless for tuning. Its really a function check.....to make sure the components are in spec.

But.....with the known age related connector issues.......there can be lots of false trails with this system.

Also.....what was the fault indicated with your MPS according to the machine? Resistance?
Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

Quote:

Unlike later systems......it has no 02 sensor or knock sensors etc.....to be able to KNOW that the pressure is incorrect.

At 28 psi.....every 1 psi....is equal to 3.57% of fuel mixture change. Thats a lot.

This is also my issue with using the factory tester. Its technically worthless for tuning. Its really a function check.....to make sure the components are in spec.

But.....with the known age related connector issues.......there can be lots of false trails with this system.

Also.....what was the fault indicated with your MPS according to the machine? Resistance?
Ray

Makes sense.

Next, after using a few times, the factory tester has much more value than worthless beyond its lack of tuning capabilities. Finding 2 faulty temp sensors and a fault in an MPS took me about 4 minutes versus doing manually. A big time saver, if anything.

As to what the fault indicator was in the MPS, I have no idea beyond a blinking yellow light followed by a solid red one. Also, the MPS I was testing was from an unknown year T3; that is what came with the car and I was just testing it to play around with the machine. -Ron
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:
Quote:

Ray

Makes sense.

Next, after using a few times, the factory tester has much more value than worthless beyond its lack of tuning capabilities. Finding 2 faulty temp sensors and a fault in an MPS took me about 4 minutes versus doing manually. A big time saver, if anything.

As to what the fault indicator was in the MPS, I have no idea beyond a blinking yellow light followed by a solid red one. Also, the MPS I was testing was from an unknown year T3; that is what came with the car and I was just testing it to play around with the machine. -Ron

See here is the problem.

The EFI testing machine......is connected to the part (s) it is analyzing.....by the fuel injection harness. Wink

You can get fault readings......for a part that is actually perfect....simply from either the card edge connector, the female connector in the component end plug......or from the wire itself.

To compound this......all of the three above may actually be fine and it may be an issue simply with wear to the male pin in the component plug.....which is very simply fixable and for instance in the case of an MPS....does not mean that the part is bad.

The EFI diagnostic system actually had more false diagnoses back in the day as the cars systems aged....then it did accurate diagnoses. 90% of this is harness related....and 90% of that is female connector design related. Horrible design.

This issue repeated itself in a HUGE way....if you want to make a case study of it.....with GM and their miserable port injection systems through the 1980s.

The "CAMMS" system they used for computer dealer diagnostics ....absolutely did not work reliably. This is because they used a lousey single cantilever and sometimes 0 cantilever female connector system.

By the time it hit 50-60k miles.....the systems in millions of their vehicles....including some of the Volvos......began to have constant faults that were not reproduce-able or diagnosable at the dealer.

The machine would point to a component fault......mechanics would replace it......fault was still there or fault changed to a different fault.

Going into over a dozen GM dealers in about 8 cities over three years on behalf of several friends cars....cars barely out of warranty mind you......I found that GMs system was so unreliable that it was WRITTEN process t the dealers.....to have a box of known good components to plug and play with.....instead of trusting the CAMMS machine.

They had no idea what was happening. They were trusting that the harness was fine so were assuming what the machine told them was right. Millions of vehicles eventually had low grade recalls for a range of fixes.....none of which really worked.

The last GM car of that era I worked on.....in the early 90's....a 1987 Grand Am....we actually got complete diagnosis of the REAL faults....by taking it to the local VW dealer. That experience taught me a lot about the type of faults I was seeing in my D-jet systems....why they were sporadic....and why they were so hard to catch and fix.

They diagnosed the harness connector faults on several parts.....which is all it was......with a fluke volt meter and a bag of new pigtail plugs.

This is the point I was getting at quite a while back. The very BEST way to diagnose D-jet component issues.....is with free crimped connectors (meaning not in a plug housing) on short wires.....with a good voltmeter. You MUST have free connectors so you can actually be sure of the fit of the female terminal on the male terminal.

This is something you cannot do with the female connectors installed in the plugs. The plugs fit tightly in the housing so you have no reference if the female connector is actually fitting tightly on the male pin.

Its far faster.....and far, far, far more accurate to check the components of D-jet......with discreet wires with crimped on female connectors and a voltmeter than it is with the diagnostic unit.

In the years since the late 80's I have repaired countless D-jet vehicles......that mechanics using the diagnostic machine could not.

Just like my comments about the Bentley manual......the diagnostic machine does not account for age related wear. If the harness is not PERFECT......the diagnosis is suspect.

I am giving you the warning now. Do not trust that device for correct diagnostics. Ray

EDIT: Let me put a finer point on this so you know where I am coming from.

I pulled these out before leaving the house thid morning to snap a picture.

This tub is one of 2.5 tubs of have of MPS's. All of these were gotten in one batch from a private VW shop on the Northeast side of Oklahoma City about 15 years ago.
This tub and the other half tub of MPS's ....were all in the TRASH bin to be recycled for the metal at the shop. I got them for FREE!
The other tub is MPS's I collected from Junkyards and I knew the condition of those as I tested them in under a minute when I plucked them from cars.

All of these MPS's were rejected as faulty by the Bosch diagnostic unit. In this Tub...only one was leaking vacuum due to a bad diaphragm. Its in the lower left part of the picture in the tub and was disassembled by me to find the fault.

The rest of these MPS all hold perfect or near perfect (fixable with a new o-ting) vacuum. All of them have perfectly acceptable resistance readings on both coils......BUT WERE REJECTED BY THE BOSCH DIAGNOSTIC UNIT.

Two of them are fixable by simply reflowing the solder....the rest of them have nothing wrong with them....just poor connections due to dirt and tarnish.

These are a pile of TVS's I got from the same shop....all are just fine. The Bosch unit rejected most of them because of poor connections...mainly because they have high resistance (which is meaningless as its not a resistance based switch)...so in that case its ALWAYS a connector issue.

The others thats showed a fault were rejected because they could not be adjusted using the strict factory method Rolling Eyes ....which does not account for WEAR or production variation. Whe the switch has a little wear....the standard 2 degree and lock it down does not work. You need to then reset the switch and verify where the wiper actually PARKS....and then readjust usually about 1 degree more. And then the switch functions perfectly.

All of these are fully functional.

I just about cried when the owner noted he has thrown away roughly a 55 gallon drum of MPS's and TVS's over the years Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes ....virtually all because the "TESTER" said they were bad.
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

Quote:
s about the Bentley manual......the diagnostic machine does not account for age related wear. If the harness is not PERFECT......the diagnosis is suspect.

That seems to make sense. I do indeed have a new FI harness, and I just did a continuity test about a year ago, and there is about 400 miles on it. So, that part checks out. I only had the skill set to check CHT sensor 2, which was indeed faulty after some tests with a meter.

I wish I was able to amass all of those 'cast-aways'; it seems you have quite a collection. IMHO I can't think of a better steward of VW unobtanium. I, on the other hand, am trying to find my balance between what i can physically do to get my car completed, what I can afford to responsibly have done and when can I happily be driving down the road with a thoughtfully restored Type 4. The cherry on my VW cake would be having a spare MPS, Fuel Pump, ECU, CHT2...well, I could go on ad nauseum I suppose.

Needless to say, for my purposes the stars must have been aligned as the device ID'd the bad CHT 2, I took its word for the Temp Sens 1 and replaced it. I put a known bad MPS and it returned a blinking yellow, swtich to red effect. No clue what it means. 049 MPS currently in there reads green. The tester came with some sort of vacuum pump with a meter and 2 wires that I believe are supposed be put on the MPS to measure something. (Perhaps readings at different levels of vacuum??) I have no idea.

Either way, I'm trying to find my way through the VW T4 journey. It's fun, cathartic and enlightening. I always appreciate everyones' point of view and the ensuing transfer of knowledge.

Again, this is my crazy journey with this VW, its a blast. I effed up a few things and learned. (Well, at least I think I did) I appreciate the feedback. I'll be thinking of the whole Samba posse as I'm cruising down the Jersey shoreline this fall!

As to the GM fuel injection, I never had that experience, but can only reference my grandparents 1980 and 81 Sevilles. As I recall, the cars ran pretty nice and remember they had these two big injectors in the throttle bodies. I do know they did each require fuel pumps at one juncture or another.

Finally.... Here is the next phase of my project. Stripping car and sweating my butt off every evening after work. Here is where I'm at as of tonight:

Taping is a bear, but taking my time and triple checking to make sure best outcome is achieved. I'm trying to take my time here. If you see any areas that I missed (except door handle/hardware on right side) please let me know!

Thanks again Ray for your feedback. It's my hope that this string will continue to evolve and help others too.

More to come as I continue to get feedback from fellow Sambanistas and progress with the quote unquote "thoughtful restoration". - Ron
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

Don't let it stay in the sun long with the masking tape on . Will be a pain to remove.
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

Surprised Thanks for the tip and will do.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

Not to belabor the point...but just so you know where I am coming from with reference to your using the ASE 000 050 fuel injection tester unit.

I will correct myself a little better....as I was using a bit of hyperbole to make sure I get your attention with what I was writing.

The unit is not 100% worthless.....as Brad Anders notes on his excellent web site

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/testers.htm#VW1218

It is definitely better than the earlier and simpler Bosch testing units. Its main usefulness other than a full go/no-go/caution on component check....is that it tests functionality of all of the main board blocks in the ECU.

Its a component checker. As I noted .....its weakness is directly related to any weakness in the wiring loom connecting the unit...to the components.

Some of the other models Brad Anders has on the page above are really interesting because they allow you to actually run the car from the diagnostic unit ....and allow you to adjust actual injector pulsewidth while using controlled but variable vacuum on the MPS....so you can actually TUNE the MPS while running the car to match injector pulsewidth....say ...to an MPS you are replacing.

These are true tuning tools.

As I noted.....in this day and age....with most D-jet systems...because of
A. the harness condition and
B. the actual connector type used on the original harness and even on new build harnesses.....your readings can be suspect when using any of these tuning tools.

I am not telling you not to use them. I am telling you not to RELY on them until you have enough experience to know that all of your connections are perfect and all of the critical parts of the test unit are in calibration.

For instance....the internal vacuum pump is designed to test the MPS at a specific vacuum level. Do you know if the pump is stable, or the vacuum transducer still accurate (very common with vacuum sensing systems to be out of whack with age...just like pressure gauges)

I say Kudos that you bought a new harness last year.

But....as I have noted....and as Dan and Neena found out last week by taking their type 3 by Jim Adneys place before they started their long roadtrip.....even with a brand new harness that they also have bought....they found several poor connections that were a part of their problem. That is teh drawback of the female connector design.

These were brand new parts and the STILL had a connectivity issue. It was not a harness construction or crimp quality issue.

I do not know which tester Jim Adney uses....but as I noted to Dan several times over the six month ordeal....with only 23 wires in the whole system....these faulty connections should have and could have been found.... 5 months ago with a simple fit check of the female connectors.
20 minutes work tops....for the whole system.

Because of the design of the female connectors in the D-jet system which are not anywhere near as uniform from connector to connector as something more modern....occasionally....a brand new female connector ...especially on a worn/older male pin of a component...can have a loose or poor fit even after the first couple of cycles of plugging and unplugging.

If I were going to use a unit like the ASE 000 050.....I would circumvent the possible weaknesses of the system by FIRST:

1. with a REAL pressure gauge...of minimum 1A or 2A rating...check and set fuel pressure and make sure its stable.

2. With a vacuum gauge of similar rating...check and get an idea of what the engines vacuum range is.

3. Use that same vacuum gauge to see that the ASE 000 050 pump output is uniform

4. And this is most important....using a pin-out tool...remove all 23 female connectors from their plugs one at a time and TIGHTEN the rolled springs flanges on them....WHILE they are plugged onto a scrap male pin that has been sanded with 1000 grit paper to be about .001"-.002" thinner than normal.
This insures a tight precision fit of all harness plugs onto the male pins.

Clean the ECU end connectors with a soft pink eraser and make sure all of the ECU plug pins are at the same level of "bent"/tension and that the gap between them is narrower than the circuit board edge.

When all of this is done....you have insured that the ECU function check of the ASE 000 050....is really telling you the truth.

The item I am also getting at though....is that outside of the function check of the ECU by using the ASE 000 050 or similar unit.....the simplest, fastest and most accurate check of all other components EXCEPT the ECU can be done instantly ...on the spot...when you unplug the component to clean and tighten the female connectors....you can very simply plug in your voltmeter leads to the part (injector, sensor 1 and 2, MPS or TVS)....by having a set of leads that have a D-jet female terminal crimped on the ends.

This also allows you to evaluate the cleanliness of the male pin in the component and also allows you to evaluate the fit of the female connector on your voltmeter leads and tighten if necessary.

Oh...and the BEST masking tape I have found to use for painting is Frogtape
http://www.frogtape.com/

FAR, FAR, FAR superior to the 3M blue painters masking tape. Has no issues out in the heat...comes in multi surface higher tack (green) and low tack smoother, delicate surface tape. Both have a sharper edge than 3M blue painters tape.

You can but it at home depot.
Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

Figured I'd share the progress of my 412 build. If you made it through the 7 odd pages of my journey, I'd love to hear from you and get feedback. Hopefully, the knowledge transfer will help guide you through troubleshooting issues. So, I have some progress photos as well as random questions that I'll ask as I go. Once all of the replies are gathered, I'd be glad to post as its own topic at a future point.

Today is like Christmas in July for me. I finally saved up enough cash to get the car painted. (granted, it's at Maa@@, but I have hope they'll do a nice job). The tow truck is coming in 4 hours and I'm wide awake like a little kid. I hoped to get it done much sooner, but after combing through these forums, I had to regroup and take another approach. The "Greenwood Method" cost me more than I expected, actually a lot more. However, its the best preventative advice I've taken in many years, and will most certainly save me a fortune in the long run. I thought I could just drive it. The PO had a youtube video of the car in motion, joyfully cruising down the road. It appeared as though she may need an oil change and then it's ready to roll indefinitely. The seller was truthful and honest; I was just ignorant.

My final note on this subject: Greenwood's rap on 'things to do before you buy / drive VW Type 4' applied to me about 90% of the time. So, like a dumb ass, I only budgeted $150.00 for a general tune up upon purchase, then off to paint. NOT. If I didn't make Ray's recommended 'fixes' prior to driving it, I know enough about cars to realize that I'd be plagued with a constant cascade of worn parts, and hand-fabricating unobtanium parts in a rush. I bit the bullet and did most of those tasks first. It set me back financially, but if I didn't address the issues up front, I would have put a For Sale sign on it. I was bummed when I diagnosed and found my engine is getting tired. I'm saving for a longblock and when installed, there will be a painstakingly fine-tuned D-Jetronic FI set-up waiting for it. Glad I took Ray's advice; can't thank the guy enough. I'm now getting uberfamiliar with the car as I make all these fixes. Again, thx RG and team T4. I think there should be a 'things to think about before buying this type of car' sticky at the beginning of this forum. IMHO, Type 4's are way too rare to be a practice car/first car or buy and drive.

Moving on to progress - recruited some good buddies to assist with final prep:

Had no clue what they were getting into. So hot and humid, even talking made you sweat.

I'm going to reupholster the seats most likely when car is in paint. I have to remove the headrests. How do they come off? It looks like pipes are bent inside the seat:

Suggestions?

The next item is the tailpipe. I paid a lot of money for a new one from B^* De*+T. Once it's bolted on, it points downward. Totally annoys me. BD claims that all of their stock looks the same:

In addition to its crappy aesthetics, the tailpipe vibrates against the gas heater exhaust. I DO plan on using the heck out of the heater this winter. The BA4 rebuild was my one of my favorite parts of the resto thus far. Any ideas?

Here's some random shots of tonight's final paint prep:

Nose all wrapped.

Seats out except driver. Plus, I wrapped up ECU to keep water/moisture out.

Doors prepped. Wasn't happy taping the aluminum trim around door windows, however, removal wayyyyy to difficult for me. Each time I gingerly attempted to remove, it bent.

Trunk. All labels, placards, etc. were taped.

Rear hatch latches removed and strapped down.

Last edited by ClassicCamper on Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:34 am; edited 8 times in total
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

Nice job done! Longing for to se the final result. Very Happy

As for the tailpipe I have been there to, cut the tube, rotate it a bit and weld it back.

The neckrests should, if they are of the same type as my 412 has got, have release buttons on the wery top of each tube facing inside towards each other...almost hidden from neckrest vinyl (at the ends of the zip)

Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad

Last edited by Lars S on Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

Thank you for the response Lars. I will check headrest later today.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 22

Jump to: