Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield rust repair advice
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stonecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Windshield rust repair advice Reply with quote

Hi, I recently bought a 1978 camper in really good condition with almost no rust, but when I went to replace the original age-frosted windshield I noticed some rust on the windshield lip. I checked out ratwell's pages and what I could find on the forum, and decided to try to fix it myself. I need some advice, though.

There are some small holes where the rust ate through the metal lip, but overall it seems sound. Should I just patch the holes, treat the metal with POR-15, then prime and paint? Or am I just setting myself up for more work in five or ten years? What should I patch the holes with?

Many thanks!!

Here's what the lip looked like when I removed the windshield:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's what the lip looks like after my first time using an angle grinder:

Here's a close up of some of the small holes:
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield rust repair advice Reply with quote

There's several ways to attack that. Try and weld the holes closed though some are big. Cutting out those rust spots and welding in new metal would be the best way to fix it long term if the metal is thick enough around the holes. You really need to insure you treat that entire panel to neutralize the rust as well. They also sell complete repair panels for that repair as well though it's a lot more time consuming to install them correctly.

If you go the route of cutting and replacing the metal, you want to make sure when you're done that you treat and seal under the repairs as well. If not, it will start rusting again the repairs.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield rust repair advice Reply with quote

I had many holes similar in size and location. I wire brushed the area, treated it with phosphor (or equivalent) and then filled/sealed the holes with fiberglass cloth and POR15. It worked.
If I was doing one now there is a POR15 product that is a putty. Might be easier than the fiberglass cloth and less messy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pantone149
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield rust repair advice Reply with quote

Looks a heck of a lot like mine did a few months ago. I used JB Weld Putty Stick to fill in the holes, then coated with POR-15, painted, and installed windshield.

It's only been a few months so no long term test result is available. I'd think the POR15 will ensure long term goodness.

I leaned too that the JB Weld stuff set fairly quickly the one day I was working in the sun. Moral of the story, work in the shade.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield rust repair advice Reply with quote

treat the bare metal with Ospho to convert the rust stopping the decay.
How you fill the holes is up to you but use a epoxy primer over the bare metal as I haven't had good luck with Por 15.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markd89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield rust repair advice Reply with quote

I'll disagree with all and say you should cut out all of the bottom windshield left to right and weld in a piece from a donor which has no rust.

Mine looked a little worse than yours. We tacked up the holes and POR-15'd it and it didn't last, so we got to do it again..
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield rust repair advice Reply with quote

If you have a welder ; one option is to make a cap piece where the holes are and weld it over what is there .
The windshield rubber is going to cover it all .
Make shure you clean out the drain holes in the corners or it will rust again .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield rust repair advice Reply with quote

Would anybody braze those holes closed?
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield rust repair advice Reply with quote

That piece from gerson is about $350. It fits like crap- but good thickness and will out last the van-- but need a really good fabricator to fit it.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield rust repair advice Reply with quote

I used panel adhesive on my windshield holes. Was highly recommended on the Vanagon forum. So far so good on my repair.

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield rust repair advice Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Would anybody braze those holes closed?

I would, I'd attempt to fill some of the smaller holes, thing with brazing is, it's not great for filling, so once those holes start going beyond 1/16" it's gonna need some backer material, since brazing is usually for tight joints. I'd tig-braze with silicon-bronze rod and fill as much as I could.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield rust repair advice Reply with quote

For less than what it would cost to buy and ship a KF section, you could buy a shrinker/stretcher and make your own to replace what's needed. You don't even need a shrinker/stretcher to do it. It could all be done with hammers, it would just take a little longer.

This is one I did some years back.

The key to making this a lasting repair is to not have any filler in the seal zone. Also a good idea to use weld-thru primer at inside of the flange.

Good luck and let us know if you need anymore guidance.[img][/img]
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield rust repair advice Reply with quote

Been there....

87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield rust repair advice Reply with quote

That's the way to do it right there Bulli. Nice job.

I could of sworn EIS sold a new windshield repair piece that was around $100 dollars. I didn't see it today..

http://www.busdepot.com/ahs29

I do see Bus Depots selling this. I wonder if it's good?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield rust repair advice Reply with quote

Bulli, did you cut the old piece out or did you over lap it.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield rust repair advice Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
That's the way to do it right there Bulli. Nice job.

I could of sworn EIS sold a new windshield repair piece that was around $100 dollars. I didn't see it today..

http://www.busdepot.com/ahs29

I do see Bus Depots selling this. I wonder if it's good?

The Gerson piece goes below the washers to the front molding- didn't see the piece hand crafted (NICE job by the way.)

That one's $69- what a deal if it has any weight.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield rust repair advice Reply with quote

You know I had this problem too. The right way to fix it is to weld in a new piece of metal. But I tried another way and got good results. I used USC All Metal, POR 15, and some paint and it turned it very good for me. It was a time consuming job but I thought it was worth especially since I do not have any welding skills. Take a look. It might work for you. Good luck!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7769576&highlight=#7769576
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield rust repair advice Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
Bulli, did you cut the old piece out or did you over lap it.

I never overlap unless the factory did it. For instance, floor to flange joints in the front. Not that it applies with this repair, but joggling and overlapping in the middle of a body panel isn't ideal. There is no way to finish the joint.

Welding shrinks....There is no way to get around it. You need to be able to stretch the weld (heat affected zone), in order to bump, file and finish.

Like this:

Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: